New version of Chronosculpt!?

lardbros

Not so newbie member
Good on Lino for not letting his dream be broken.
He's got skills, and determination and I hope this is successful for Otoy and him.

If only Newtek had supported Chronosculpt, I prefer that name too, but we all know how Newtek likes to abandon its greatest assets. Inspire/Rendition/SpeedEdit/Aura/NevronMotion/Chronosculpt/LightWave :(

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
I Tried some of the first demos I think, wasn´t that impressed though I think it looks it has been enhanced a lot more though.
Couldn´t find the sculpting and switching to volumetrics and using noise any useful though for cloud stuff, for that I prefer to sculpt and use mesh to volume and volume displace in another software.

They would need to improve that noise and deformation, remeshing as well, but I suppose that feature is more of a sidekick.

Makes me wonder how much of sculpton is similar in code to chronosculpt, hopefully they didn´t just rip it off from some of newteks software, that may be legally an issues.
But perhaps they didn´t and just started fresh, only those involved can tell.

Wish them good luck, but you know the rules, we don´t talk about competing products in a lightwave forum.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Well..I took a look at it on youtube right now, and sure ...I can see they also improved the volume sets, level sets..and noise, lighting etc.
What Lino demonstrates is a typical toroid shape and then volume displacement, and it doesn´t seem to be filled on the inside either,so not particulary ideal item to showcase any cloud stuff with.

But..I can see it being promising perhaps for that, I would need to see some more, I also saw the other vid where they sculpt pull out the cloud shape with volume active, though similar to what I already can do in a another software.

I think however that sculptron mayb be more optimised for that...will have to see.
But that is me and clouds :) It´s a condition I have.

Lot´s of other impressive polyhandling otherwise.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
will I use it? jump on it, nope, not yet anyways, +subscription su**ks.

Same here, subscription on that will not let me even consider it.
What worries me a bit is Embergen under Otoy, do not like their way their licensing is working with octane, nor subscriptions.
Otherwise Embergen is the darnest thing I would like to look in to more to, didn´t you get that by the way and how is it working for you?

Embergen, yup, got it, but haven't had the chance to use it much.
Fantastic app, and only jumped on it cause i knew it eventually might turn into subscription.

Marvelous Designer was also subscription for some time, now they are not, but they raised the cost beyond indie, at $1700

lino.grandi

TD/Animator
Good on Lino for not letting his dream be broken.
He's got skills, and determination and I hope this is successful for Otoy and him.

If only Newtek had supported Chronosculpt, I prefer that name too, but we all know how Newtek likes to abandon its greatest assets. Inspire/Rendition/SpeedEdit/Aura/NevronMotion/Chronosculpt/LightWave :(
Thanks! I agree, ChronoSculpt was a very unique application sadly never updated. But the basic idea we had (a concept now present in other software packages, like Mush3D, by the way) was quite brilliant.

lino.grandi

TD/Animator
Makes me wonder how much of sculpton is similar in code to chronosculpt, hopefully they didn´t just rip it off from some of newteks software, that may be legally an issues.
But perhaps they didn´t and just started fresh, only those involved can tell.
There's zero ChronoSculpt code in Sculpton (and do I really need to confirm that???). ChronoSculpt code , developed by David Ikeda, it's NewTek's property.
Sculpton has been developed from scratch by Jamil, using Magnum Engine and Dear ImGui and, of course, all his talent.
It's deeply different than ChronoSculpt in all aspects.

Last edited:

lino.grandi

TD/Animator
seems to be 80% clone in terms of features. Cool, but nothing special yet, we'll see.

will I use it? jump on it, nope, not yet anyways, +subscription su**ks.
We could say it's maybe 20% similar in terms of features, right now.

ChronoSculpt offered one unique and powerful feature: cache editing.
That's just one of Sculptron features.
Sculpton offers a set of defomers you can apply to a modifier stack (MDD and Sculpt modifier being one of those).
You can simply load an object and start creating animated morphs, non need to load any cache.
You can use Tangent Space sculpting.
Everything can be animated.
There's parenting.
Meshes can be converted to volumes and exported as VDB animated sequences.

But that's just the start, of course. There's still a long way to go.

fishhead

Frequenter
Thanks for all the info, Lino. Looks all very promising - if there were not that really, really crappy licensing scheme... :-\

Top Bottom