New to OpenVDB

thiyaguthree

Beginner
Hi there, I am 2015.3 user, Today Lightwave has changed lot. I tried with the manuals lightwave but failed to see the results, Think I cant understand the manual or its quiet tricky. My question on Open VDB (new for me). It's not as just like hypervoxel. There are nodes to remember to carry the entire work through VDB, So is it possible to make simulation like Blender?
Can we pump the fluid and send it to tank kinda settings. If anyone free please answer.
Also Limited tuts posted in ytube.

prometheus

REBORN
No easy quickfluid as in blender...Yet, but OpenVDB fluids is more open than in Blender as for now.

If you haven´t?
Start with Oliver Hotz vids...

And Rene "Lightwave Guru" is the one who tries to push Lightwave VDB liquid fluits to it´s limits the most I think.

Start with eventual content scenes , and read along the manual during that.

But yah, not many users seem to find it fun or useful, or up to sharing it´s secrets, and to some degree it is a trade secret as well for some users personally.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Are you still running LW2015.3? LW added OpenVDB support in LW2018, and extended further in LW2019 & LW2020. OpenVDB support isn't part of LW2015 (even .3).

thiyaguthree

Beginner
No easy quickfluid as in blender...Yet, but OpenVDB fluids is more open than in Blender as for now.

If you haven´t?
Start with Oliver Hotz vids...

And Rene "Lightwave Guru" is the one who tries to push Lightwave VDB liquid fluits to it´s limits the most I think.

Start with eventual content scenes , and read along the manual during that.

But yah, not many users seem to find it fun or useful, or up to sharing it´s secrets, and to some degree it is a trade secret as well for some users personally.
Yes. I checked the videos. Thanks

thiyaguthree

Beginner
Friends, Attached is the concept of process equipment cyclone, done by displacement map of fluid flow which will separate final product out 1 and recycle out 2. I have to show the fresh fluid enters for the first time and then the separation continues. For that I just made set up already and just section the equipment to reveal. But the requirement is to show it as fresh fluid. I have gone through the openVDB and definitely it will take time to explore and I can't meet my schedule. So I hope the FERTILIZER plugin would help me in that regard though it is not real but for live action I have to do. Please suggest the possibility.

Attachments

• cyclonequery.png
    cyclonequery.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 32

prometheus

REBORN
So no fluid dynamics really, just something that looks like fluid directional movement?

by the way, you could use particles an wind animation path, a couple of them and then use either old hv´s or newer vdb to remesh particles.
More advanced would be to use blender fluid smoke to follow curves, save to vdb and reconvert to mesh in lightwave, but that´s overdoing it:)

thiyaguthree

Beginner
Yes.

My previous old posts define you the wind path with Gas and smoke works fine. But when it comes to fluid we have to think a lot doing in lightwave. Blender does fine, we can see output quickly and handy. But the output mesh I cannot convert in the 2.92 Blender advanced simulation. Well. I could export the fluid mesh with the help of fluid Plugin splotchdog.com
for Blender 2.8 version, In this version the simulation not accurate as 2.92. I was exploring Blender for month but still I couldn't do anything with that and that was worrying. The realistic fluid always a challenging. But it showing me what are all the ways that I should not create fine and compromising fluids.

prometheus

REBORN
Yes.

My previous old posts define you the wind path with Gas and smoke works fine. But when it comes to fluid we have to think a lot doing in lightwave. Blender does fine, we can see output quickly and handy. But the output mesh I cannot convert in the 2.92 Blender advanced simulation. Well. I could export the fluid mesh with the help of fluid Plugin splotchdog.com
for Blender 2.8 version, In this version the simulation not accurate as 2.92. I was exploring Blender for month but still I couldn't do anything with that and that was worrying. The realistic fluid always a challenging. But it showing me what are all the ways that I should not create fine and compromising fluids.

It´s very simple, you can save out any blender fluid smoke simulation (fog) to vdb, import in to Lightwavewith vdb evaluator using fog to level set, and play it, and it will mesh that smoke simulation inside of lightwave.
this works with 2.79, and I don´t see why it shouldn´t work with mantaflow´s smoke vdb.

1-That is for smoke fluids to vdb and mesh it in to lightwave with vdb evaluator.

2-then you got the standard Liquid fluids, which also just needs to be save as vdb and can be imported to Lightwave as well and meshed there.

I was suggesting nr 1 since you can have smoke follow curves by using negativ forces in blender(not possible in Lightwave directly unless using particles and wind animation paths, which is a different thing) then convert that to vdb mesh inside of Lightwave.

But to be honest, I think my suggestions may be overdoing it all, it´s just that there is so many options.

I think I need to check the 2.92 blender advanced simulation and why output mesh can´t be saved as vdb? did you use an additional flip fluid plugin or the native mantaflow liquids in 2.92?

Image below, 2.79 smoke sim, crude basic smoke rising in blender, saved out as vdb file, re-loaded in to lightwave with vdb evaluator, and changed to level set, you do this by adding a null, keep it a mesh primitive(don´t change to vdb)
and under the geometry tab select object replacement openVDB evaluator, hit properties to enter nodes and add vdb info node, fog to level set and plug them in that order then to th vdb main output node, set iso surface perhaps, and you will have your blender smoke sim converted to mesh.

blender basic simple smoke to mesh vdb in lightwave.jpg

B

Last edited:

thiyaguthree

Beginner
Thank you bro. No more questions, will try this now straightaway and tell you feedback. Give me sometime and will be right back.

prometheus

REBORN
Thank you bro. No more questions, will try this now straightaway and tell you feedback. Give me sometime and will be right back.

Here´s the basic nodal setup, should work for you I think, I think you should set up the resample node before even pluging it in, and make sure you set a size over 1 perhaps, and lower as you go, so your system will not hang or freeze, then lower to 0,6- 0,3 etc, it will start taking longer to remesh the lower you go obviously since that increases the resolution of the mesh.

And also, don´t expect something to show until you move your timeline some frame in to the scene, it won´t update unless changing that, not sure if there is a way to have that refresh better, Lightwave Guru may know about that, which I don´t.

So below is a blender fluid smoke sim( you can convert the same way for native Lightwave gas solver fog fluid smoke), singel frame of my choice, then converted to mesh.
Actual blender liquid vdbs, is a bit different, but not that much, in such case you do not need the fog to volume, just load it in...If mantaflows sims will work, though I think I have tried it and got it working, but could depend on simulation of course.

vdbEvaluator fog to level set.jpg

thiyaguthree

Beginner
Yes. I tried with some gas VDB fluid from Blender. And the values which is smaller than you mentioned say for 0.3 is 0.1 and 0.6 is 0.3.
My system freezes and can't even zoom.but I could see the solid cube and took long time for preview for 120 frames. The fluid gas vdb files 250 frames and each file around more than 300 kb to 400 kb. Where is my mistake in this. The same I tried for my previous meshes done for cyclone it also crashes to open the vdb info of250 frames.

prometheus

REBORN
Yes. I tried with some gas VDB fluid from Blender. And the values which is smaller than you mentioned say for 0.3 is 0.1 and 0.6 is 0.3.
My system freezes and can't even zoom.but I could see the solid cube and took long time for preview for 120 frames. The fluid gas vdb files 250 frames and each file around more than 300 kb to 400 kb. Where is my mistake in this. The same I tried for my previous meshes done for cyclone it also crashes to open the vdb info of250 frames.

Hard to say, I have had my fair share of crashing with vdb, could be that it is unstable.
Lightwave guru mentioned something about it I can´t recall right now.
It could also be that your system can´t handle it, the memory etc.
But those sizes you used, increase those values to avoid having to high resolution for starters, and go from there, that is why I warned about it.

But the size per frame there isn´t that high in resolution I think, it should be able to handle it I think.

thiyaguthree

Beginner
Yes. But it will be interesting to explore that myself. Of course exploring the secret of creating simulation. But I don't think about the memory will the core issue of crash. Because all software will run at least for the basics. Will mail to the network team and find resolution. Meantime I would like to try again to fix. Can you share your scene file what you attached. So that I can cross check the default settings.

Thanks

prometheus

REBORN
Yes. But it will be interesting to explore that myself. Of course exploring the secret of creating simulation. But I don't think about the memory will the core issue of crash. Because all software will run at least for the basics. Will mail to the network team and find resolution. Meantime I would like to try again to fix. Can you share your scene file what you attached. So that I can cross check the default settings.

Thanks

Don´t have much time for that now unfortunately, I did´t save that as a scene, just testing, and I would have to locate VDB´s and set it up again.
If I get the time later this week perhaps.
But I doubt you can get over your issues if I were to post a scene, there´s nothing to it than the settings I made screenprints on, so it´s really all there and you wouldn´t have much use of the scene anyway, particulary since what I showed is a single frame, and I can´t post a whole fluid set either.

thiyaguthree

Beginner
No problem. I was about to check the default values. That's ok. But tell me, like hypervoxel we can adjust the volume or size as user friendly but here even if I reduce the value from 1.0 to 0.1 the response is not good. Freezes and crash. And it is not showing like small particles as coarse. Here display size is one big single object , Is that due to memory issues or users technical fault or low skill set of understanding this openVDB.

prometheus

REBORN
No problem. I was about to check the default values. That's ok. But tell me, like hypervoxel we can adjust the volume or size as user friendly but here even if I reduce the value from 1.0 to 0.1 the response is not good. Freezes and crash. And it is not showing like small particles as coarse. Here display size is one big single object , Is that due to memory issues or users technical fault or low skill set of understanding this openVDB.

Voxel size...
1. 0 is lower mesh resolution, 0.1 is much higher..that is why it freezes and crashes, it really has nothing to do with volume/particle size in the older legacy hv system, nor really not anything to do with step size in the new volumetric items either..it´s meshing resolution where small numbers means higher resolution and more demanding on the system.

Top Bottom