New mac pro

3D Kiwi

Lava Lamp Technician
I saw this, looks like you can spec it out well but surely you could spec out a pc with similar performance for a lot less.
And are mac users really that rough on their computers that they have to build it like a tank?

I had an old dell machine which I shipped from NZ to Australia and it got bashed around, kept going with out any worries for about 4 years after that until i Upgraded.

rsfd

••••••••••••••••••••
..What do you think? Capable machine?

I'd say every part of it is state of the art (and probably even beyond)

…Im a bit disappointed they have stayed with AMD cards, so probably not compatible with much!…

It's probably not that bad: Redshift and Octane are coming to the '19 Mac Pro with Metal-based versions.
Others *should* follow as Metal is the future for macOS, breaking Nvidia's proprietary CUDA dominance somehow.

My concerns would be that many of the other big companies won't deliver in time and only pay lip service right now.
(Do you remember Foundry's "Modo on Metal" presentation some years ago? Afaik, nothing has happened since then).

Strider_X

Starting at $6,000 for 8 core's 16 threads

not including the $5,000 monitor and if you need it the $1,000 stand for it.

You would have to think what function would this serve other than peace of mind because its not cost effective.

ianr

Starting at $6,000 for 8 core's 16 threads

not including the $5,000 monitor and if you need it the $1,000 stand for it.

You would have to think what function would this serve other than peace of mind because its not cost effective.

The monitor looks juicy, against film industry on-set reference options,and it seems a good price.

Yes to purhase, only if doing hi- grade work.( Netflix is now only commissioning 6k work from now.)

So running it on a Win OS (treadripper or Intel) with a GC-Alpine Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt 3 Card might be interesting?

www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18644791/apple-mac-pro-display-xdr-6k-retina-hdr-wwdc-2019

Last edited:

Otterman

Angry Mac User
Thats interesting you say that. Ive been stuck with my 12 core mac bin for way too long and I could never leverage the duel AMD firepro cards. No vray, octane or after effects compatibility. Now I want to really dip my toe into GPU rendering and UE4 I was all set to jump over to PC and Nvidia RTX. Now I don't know e=with this new Mac Pro

raw-m

Big fan of coffee
The monitor is way out of my league but really like this Mac Pro. Apple is making all their money upfront as they won’t make much from it in the long term if it’s users can update it themselves. Trouble is the base config seems to be less powerful than an iMac Pro so will be judging when released/reviews are in.

Markc

ack ack
Yep, the base model seems damn pricey for what you get, even though it has massive upgrade potential.
You should at least get a 1tb ssd for that price.
I hate to think what the other cpu options are going to be priced at.

Morgan Nilsson

Just going to go ahead and explain the same thing I've explained to a bunch of people who love to hate on Apple and their seemingly ludicrous pricing.

It's server hardware, and server hardware in general is a lot more expensive since they come with a whole lot of bells and whistles not available in typical consumer cpus. Just take a look at any workstation branded pc for any other competitor such as Dell, HP etc etc. Prices for actual workstations are that sky high. (Just to buy the 8-core xeon chip that is in the Mac Pro costs like 3000 usd if not more)

It's not meant for mere mortals such as freelancers working from home or even smaller firms.

Marander

The base model for $6k is nothing outstanding and overpriced compared to PC hardware with similar / better performance.

There are estimations for a MacPro top model to exceed $50'000.

There are few to none benefits in using ECC RAM for desktop applications in my opinion. Flipped bits in well designed systems with good thermals and RAM timings are very rare. Applications hardly run any more stable because of it. And there are PC workstations with Xeon CPUs and ECC RAM available too of course (but also more expensive than consumer hardware).

It's doubtful that it would outperform a reasonable priced PC with a Gen3 top end threadripper system with a couple of Titan RTX cards, even if Redshift and Octane offer AMD GPU support. It will take time to optimize the path-/raytracing engines for AMD tech and in the past OpenCL was about half as fast then CUDA and generally much faster on NVidia hardware.

I use a MacBook Pro 15" myself for non 3D work and love it but 20-50k for a Mac that doesn't even support all 3D software and plugins, I don't know...

Besides that I find the new design horrible.

Otterman

Angry Mac User
Well the fact Octane have revealed mac support, it just got a whole lot more interesting. I had gone down the Maya/vary route but now I could potentially use Maya AND Lightwave with Octane on a new mac. Oo exciting!

raw-m

Big fan of coffee
On a related note, Catalina - anyone know if LW will run at all with OpenGL being depreciated? Can’t find any details on it.

speismonqui

Just to buy the 8-core xeon chip that is in the Mac Pro costs like 3000 usd if not more

That doesn't make sense, just the CPU costs half the total computer?

I found this and if it's true then the 8 core will cost $750 (3.5 GHz base model W-3223)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cascade-lake-3000-series-xeon-w-cpus,39575.html

This guy thinks the CPU will be a variant of the Xeon W-2145 which costs roughly $1200 (the other 8 core in the table in the link above - W-3225)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPiEpSMkzoo

CaptainMarlowe

Thats interesting you say that. Ive been stuck with my 12 core mac bin for way too long and I could never leverage the duel AMD firepro cards. No vray, octane or after effects compatibility. Now I want to really dip my toe into GPU rendering and UE4 I was all set to jump over to PC and Nvidia RTX. Now I don't know e=with this new Mac Pro

I still have a 6-core nMP, and as a hobbyist, I won’t buy a new MacPro, for sure. I will certainly upgrade my CPU for a 10-core, and as for GPU, I’m tempted to add a radeon VII in a razer core X. Since Unreal (and TM) is Metal compliant, I think it will be a huge progress compared to my current D500s. In the long term, I’m afraid I’ll have to switch to PC or go the hackintosh route.

Markc

ack ack
I still have a 6-core nMP, and as a hobbyist, I won’t buy a new MacPro, for sure. I will certainly upgrade my CPU for a 10-core, and as for GPU, I’m tempted to add a radeon VII in a razer core X. Since Unreal (and TM) is Metal compliant, I think it will be a huge progress compared to my current D500s. In the long term, I’m afraid I’ll have to switch to PC or go the hackintosh route.
Is this possible with TB2?

crpcory

Indie Indie Artist
My feelings are quite mixed with what I'm seeing so far. I do a lot of animation work in both 2D and 3D as well as a good deal of editing. This is a beast of a machine for editing video and 2D animation but for 3D I'm no more impressed than I was with the 2013 mac pro (which, despite certainly missing out on nVidia only options in a few aps, was probably the most efficient and reliable computer I've ever used). What frustrates me is that typically video, audio, and 2D animation do not tax a machine like doing 3D work and compositing and yet they still are being very narrow in what they allow/offer with GPUs. If they really, really push support for Metal then I'd feel better. If they offered nVidia cards, I'd feel better (has any Apple person spoken as to why they only use AMD?) The list of supporting companies was nice to hear but, of course, that is a real wait-and-see situation.

An impressive machine on many fronts but that 3D/GPU anti-option is still just as funky as last generation, but with double the base price. Also, I laugh at the thought of selling a $6k computer with a 256gb hard drive.

CaptainMarlowe

As for GPUs, I've read somewhere that Apple devs had told that two pie lanes had 8-pins connectors, which basically means that you can put standard GPUs inside the new mac pro without using the new special module. As for nVIDIA, it will only be a driver problem, and this is not likely to change in the near future. Another question is the ability to change the storage without being blocked by the T2 chip. Unfortunately it was a news on my phone feed, and I can't find it back.

Top Bottom