New Life for my older assets

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Was paying attention to other stuff & finally noticed my very colorful, but obviously confused trees so fixed those. Had some map name confusion + hadn't translated all the translucency values over. Even so, much of that's a guess trying to translate Daz into Lightwave w/o a proper working Babelfish.

Gave Dobie something to keep watch over too.

Probably going to move on from Venice for awhile. Will be out of town for a few days & away from working system anyway.

Venice_MorePlanters_34+mins.jpg

macb

3D Artist
Was paying attention to other stuff & finally noticed my very colorful, but obviously confused trees so fixed those. Had some map name confusion + hadn't translated all the translucency values over. Even so, much of that's a guess trying to translate Daz into Lightwave w/o a proper working Babelfish.

Gave Dobie something to keep watch over too.

Probably going to move on from Venice for awhile. Will be out of town for a few days & away from working system anyway.

View attachment 144827

Beauty of a render Mark,

So.. if you will be away for a few days you could totally setup a fly by animation and have it rendering while your gone :p

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Beauty of a render Mark,

So.. if you will be away for a few days you could totally setup a fly by animation and have it rendering while your gone :p

Hmmm, not a bad idea. Won't be leaving until Sun so gives me a couple days to ponder.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
I'd like to add some gentle motion to the water surface. The sov2Ocean object is actually a solid with the top surface highly sub divided. The surface is using Princp BSDF with only a UV and small height map used on the displacement of the final surface node.

I've tried adding values to the U and V Offsets, but nothing happens. Obviously missing something with new node system.

Suggestions?

macb

3D Artist
I'd like to add some gentle motion to the water surface. The sov2Ocean object is actually a solid with the top surface highly sub divided. The surface is using Princp BSDF with only a UV and small height map used on the displacement of the final surface node.

I've tried adding values to the U and V Offsets, but nothing happens. Obviously missing something with new node system.

Suggestions?

I'm not familiar with "sov2Ocean" is that the houdini toolkit?

Tobian

Stunning work! The textures quality come through despite the conversion (which isn't always kind to old textures). I'd say maybe increase the intensity of the sky, and tonemap the results. I think the brilliance of the sun/sky in such an environment would mean it's way brighter.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Stunning work! The textures quality come through despite the conversion (which isn't always kind to old textures). I'd say maybe increase the intensity of the sky, and tonemap the results. I think the brilliance of the sun/sky in such an environment would mean it's way brighter.

Thanks. I've been testing with other HDR's. The real place would have a lot more atmospheric influence to be sure being right on the sea. The variations of the light is what what I love about this. I'll probably revisit all of this with some night lighting later on.

Happened to catch a clip the other day of Venice & the water is a lot greener too.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
I considered putting this in a new thread, but this is something I've been trying to understand for quite awhile as to why larger Daz figures using the LAMH were having issues when translating into Lightwave. I wasn't sure where the problem was happening, if it was some quirk with Daz, or the export process or format choice. I finally tracked the problem down & fortunately it can be worked around but does need add'l attention.

I chose the Moose as it's a good example of the extreme. The base Moose itself exports out as ~ a 4Mb obj. I could use FBX for the body but it has issues with the fur which ends up just under 3 Gb using the Daz export. LAMH can export the hair as well & cuts that size about in half, but still too much for layout to handle. Either way, I usually run them through PolyTrans to separate surfaces & such to a more convenient manner.

I know the info is in the Wiki somewhere but good luck readily finding it, but there is an object point & poly limit in Layout. Important point: OBJECT limit & not LAYOUT limit.

Modeler can actually open the 3 Gb fur object file. It's not all that happy about it but it will open & from there I split it up into three objects. Once I did that & brought the parts into Layout, it was once again content. Now comes the 2nd phase which is largely what this post is about.

I knew somewhat to expect renderwise & it didn't disappoint. This is just a quick setup with just an HDR & shadow catcher. With my typical camera & render settings using GI of course and not changing anything else, this first render took 18 HOURS!!!

MooseInSnow_18Hours.jpg

For the second test, I simply checked the Unseen by Radiosity box for the 3 fur objects but left on for everything else. Render time: 28mins., 20 secs.

WinterForestMoose(Radi)Off_.jpg

Yes, there is a visual difference but that would be expected (and either is a judgement call), but that could be tweeked with separate item renders I suppose, but for a 39X speed increase...

The main point, & I know everyone forgets and I've tried to 'splain to others experiencing huge render times, is that if something really isn't contributing to the OVERALL scene when it comes to radiosity, just turn it off. The fur would affect itself certainly, but not beyond that to the rest of the scene as the camera is seeing it. The body itself contributes way more. So, if you've a wide shot exterior scene with huge amounts of instanced grass for example, leave radiosity enabled for the ground but disable for the grass items.

Tobian

Rather than set the fur to be unseen by rad, try setting it to be brute force, with relatively low samples (4-16), for the fur object, also experiment with disabling glossy reflections on the hair surface, that can kill render times too.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Glossy reflects were off but not understanding how I could set samples on a per object basis.

- - - Updated - - -

ahhh thanks for clearing that up.

Still haven't figured out how to animate the water surface yet though. That used to be a no brainer.

Gungho3D

A.K.A "The Silver Fox"
I considered putting this in a new thread, but this is something I've been trying to understand for quite awhile as to why larger Daz figures using the LAMH were having issues when translating into Lightwave …

View attachment 144883

View attachment 144884

Hey Ma3rk - great post and examples, definitely worthy of a separate thread for discussion.

I've been experimenting with migrating the DAZ Husky model, and attempting to render the results via Octane … with some "challenges," like there is no way to get anywhere near rendering a 3 gig version of an exported model which uses DAZ's LAMH plugin (Octane just chokes and dies).

So, I've just had to curb my enthusiasm and dial down LAMH's export settings to where they will render in LW+Octane.

Here is a 2 hour render (scaled from 6400 to 1024 across), you can see where the fur on the paws could do with some extra TLC

Husky__01__SleepingPosed__02AA__v11a__Cam[1]_Frm-0001__@1024_Crop.png

Last edited:

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Hey Ma3rk - great post and examples, definitely worthy of a separate thread for discussion.

I've been experimenting with migrating the DAZ Husky model, and attempting to render the results via Octane … with some "challenges," like there is no way to get anywhere near rendering a 3 gig version of an exported model which uses DAZ's LAMH plugin (Octane just chokes and dies).

So, I've just had to curb my enthusiasm and dial down LAMH's export settings to where they will render in LW+Octane.

Here is a 2 hour render (scaled from 6400 to 1024 across), you can see where the fur on the paws could do with some extra TLC

View attachment 144904

When you say dial down, you mean the numbers of hairs, the compression level, ...?

Also, the hair objects that DS exports (the ones created from the editor& in the scene) seem to export differently than the ones LAMH creates in the bowels of the Users folder so you might try those. I think their the same file but Daz does something with them once imported. I usually just run them through Polytrans and it seems to clean things up so I don't have to think about it.

Hmmm. Thought I had the Husky. Have the Wolf so pretty similar. Ah. It's a separate add-on. Anyway, that was one of the earlier LAMH finds & was able to bring that into LW. Was pretty slow (earlier system) but still picking my way too. Should take a look at that again.

Gungho3D

A.K.A "The Silver Fox"
When you say dial down, you mean the numbers of hairs, the compression level, ...?

Also, the hair objects that DS exports (the ones created from the editor& in the scene) seem to export differently than the ones LAMH creates in the bowels of the Users folder so you might try those. I think their the same file but Daz does something with them once imported. I usually just run them through Polytrans and it seems to clean things up so I don't have to think about it.

Hmmm. Thought I had the Husky. Have the Wolf so pretty similar. Ah. It's a separate add-on. Anyway, that was one of the earlier LAMH finds & was able to bring that into LW. Was pretty slow (earlier system) but still picking my way too. Should take a look at that again.

I have the full LAMH editor etc etc, probably just time poor for getting to the 1001 ways of fine-tuning it, so the LAMH Tab is all I've messed with for getting exports to happen ...

… you might be able to advise me regards what will / what won't balance a good, render-able outcome

Here are the LAMH Tab settings which enable a workable outcome.

LAMH.png

PS we use PolyTrans at work but I don't have it personally
PPS why am I rendering Huskies? … it makes for a great Happy Birthday card for my daughter :)

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
I have the full LAMH editor etc etc, probably just time poor for getting to the 1001 ways of fine-tuning it, so the LAMH Tab is all I've messed with for getting exports to happen ...

… you might be able to advise me regards what will / what won't balance a good, render-able outcome

Here are the LAMH Tab settings which enable a workable outcome.

View attachment 144905

PS we use PolyTrans at work but I don't have it personally

PPS why am I rendering Huskies? … it makes for a great Happy Birthday card for my daughter :)

Only thing I can see is maybe just go with the Advanced Shader instead of for Human, but can't see how that would matter much as it's the geom that's the memory issue. The Presets that come with AM's products havn't needed any real tweeking on my part either. Most drastic thing I'd done is pose the Moose & comb his beard down.

Polytrans was sort of a gift to myself. I just did not want to deal with models sort of, but not fully working.

The files the LAMH editor makes get written to a folder similar to this: "C:\Users\16267\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\lookatmyhairAM" if you want to compare those to what DS spits out.

Personally made cards are always better, particularly if you can physically print them out. And if one needs a reason to make imagery of animals, then I've been in violation for quite some time I guess.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
While looking for my Wolf in Daz, I discovered that a lot of it's aspects were missing. Fortunately, a simple un/re-install with the DIM they all got restored, namely the Expression controls that were entirely missing. Yet another of the mysterious ways of the Daz UI.

I then exported just the Wolf in FBX from Daz and in Modeler worked the three Wolf LAMH Group obj's separately. Those had to be resized (Ctrl-H), making Action Center was set to Origin, and using exactly 1.20%. That all lined up perfectly but still can't get the fur to move with the main Wolf. Another day. Manually retextured as usual.

As I've been doing, I set the Fur objects to be Unseen by Radiosity. This rendered in 3-4 mins.

FurrdWolfTk3(SmoothdFur).jpg

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Less might be more.

I decided that instead of tying up my system to render out 300 frames or so, why not just do maybe 6 frames instead and let everyones own wetware fill in the gaps.

So, at your own framerate ...

Cut to:

VeniceDramaFrm25.jpg

VeniceDramaFrm75.jpg

VeniceDramaFrm142.jpg

VeniceDramaFrm180.jpg

VeniceDramaFrm225.jpg

VeniceDramaFrm300.jpg

Time to move on. Think I might go over to Lake Como next.

Top Bottom