NDI Virtual Input - Incompatible with Media Foundation? (WMFCreateVideoCaptureSource)

Mr. Fantastic

BACKGROUND

I am attempting to use the NDI Virtual Input with Windows Media Foundation, but it refuses to work because of an easily reproducible and consistent failure when attempting to open the virtual input as a web cam.

I would like to know if this is a known bug and if you plan to fix it.

The same code in my app works well with all standard web cams and other video input devices. I've supplied a code snippet from my app below, but the bug is also reproducible using Microsoft sample code.

Note that I am working with the latest version of NewTek Virtual Input, downloaded two days ago.

Thanks in advance for whatever guidance you can offer.

Best Wishes,
Mark

DETAIL

After creating a media session, I use the following code to create the video capture source from the NewTek Virtual Input

Code:
static HRESULT
WMFCreateVideoCaptureSource(
	PCWSTR				pszSymbolicLink,
	IMFMediaSource**	ppSource)
{
	*ppSource = NULL;

IMFAttributes* pAttributes = NULL;
	IMFMediaSource* pSource = NULL;

HRESULT hr = MFCreateAttributes(&pAttributes, 2);

// Set the device type to video.
	if (SUCCEEDED(hr)) {
		hr = pAttributes->SetGUID(
			MF_DEVSOURCE_ATTRIBUTE_SOURCE_TYPE,
			MF_DEVSOURCE_ATTRIBUTE_SOURCE_TYPE_VIDCAP_GUID
		);
	}

// Set the symbolic link.
	if (SUCCEEDED(hr)) {
		hr = pAttributes->SetString(
			MF_DEVSOURCE_ATTRIBUTE_SOURCE_TYPE_VIDCAP_SYMBOLIC_LINK,
			(LPCWSTR)pszSymbolicLink
		);
	}

if (SUCCEEDED(hr)) {
		hr = MFCreateDeviceSource(pAttributes, ppSource);
	}

SafeRelease(&pAttributes);

return hr;
}

This code works well with every webcam I've tested. But when attempting to open the NewTek Virtual Input, MFCreateDeviceSource consistently returns the following error:

ERROR_ARIRTMETIC_OVERFLOW: Arithmetic Result Exceeded 32 Bits
(Error Code = 80070216)

Best Wishes,
Mark

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
If I may offer a suggestion, queries of this sort are probably best directed to the support email address posted provided in the SDK.

Mr. Fantastic

If I may offer a suggestion, queries of this sort are probably best directed to the support email address posted provided in the SDK.

Well, I've on the instruction of NewTek's general support team, I emailed [email protected] with this problem. That was three weeks ago and I have received no response whatsoever. Since they weren't responding, I posted this here to see if it would get any attention.

Maybe I'm dense, but I searched the documentation in the SDK, and honestly I couldn't find any email address with regard to bug reports, etc.

Is [email protected] the correct email to use?

Please let me know how to get this to the right person.

Best Wishes,
Mark

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
The NDI SDK lists an email address under the heading "Support", the sentence beginning "Like other areas of the NDI® SDK, if you have any problems please email ...." (In this age of bots, I'm reluctant to post them address openly, but if you still can't locate it, send me a PM).

I'm not at all certain the videosdk address is still in use, to be honest. I'll check that out though, and update support if it's not.

Mr. Fantastic

The NDI SDK lists an email address under the heading "Support", the sentence beginning "Like other areas of the NDI® SDK, if you have any problems please email ...." (In this age of bots, I'm reluctant to post them address openly, but if you still can't locate it, send me a PM).

I'm not at all certain the videosdk address is still in use, to be honest. I'll check that out though, and update support if it's not.

OK thanks fo this, I found it. Am I correct in finding an email that ends with the .tv domain?

Best Wishes,
Mark

Top Bottom