NDI Tools 3.0

roddyp

You usually don't need command line arguments now.
Thanks, Steve. This probably isn't a 'usually' case: We're looking at making a kind of source/layout selection front-end app, where you'd choose maybe between a quad split , full screen, or other layout. We'd want to launch multiple Studio Monitor instances to actually display the video., rather than reinvent that wheel.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I'm out of the office today, but if you send me an email we can get into more detail when I'm back.

You usually don't need command line arguments now. As before, each individual instance of SM you open retains its own config. One of the new settings menu options allows you to automatically run that instance Windows startup.

If you shift -double click the monitor it automatically adjusts its borders to fill the screen quadrant it is in, making it really easy to set up a quad view. It's cool to have virtual PTZ with Spark, and the Pip and Overlay options are great, but the real killer feature is the NDI kvm. It's a dream.

What does the NDI kvm allow you to control? Does it allow you to control audio, ddrs, M/E's, etc.?

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Everything... Just like a hardware kvm. You can hardly tell you aren't on the host TriCaster.

Everything... Just like a hardware kvm. You can hardly tell you aren't on the host TriCaster.

Is it designed to allow multiple people to work on the production (for example, doing the main mix at the Tricaster and doing an M/E mix in NDI KVM and maybe NDI KVM on another computer handling the DDR), or can you only control it from one place at a time? Is LivePanel better suited for something like that?

Last edited:

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
As with a real KVM, Windows effectively supports one mouse, one keyboard. Multiple people can control these from different locations, but it does require coordination to avoid conflict. LivePanel does not co-opt the mouse and keyboard.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
We'd want to launch multiple Studio Monitor instances to actually display the video, rather than reinvent that wheel.
I'm not sure what reinvention you have in mind, but here's an example layout I made using SM instances for the docs. This entire setup could easily launch automatically when Windows starts, but if you want to switch from one layout to another it will be a little more involved.

I'm not certain whether command line args are supported, but each instance has its config written in indexed JSON files. With a little front end code, prepared sets of these config files could be used to launch a multiview layout, or close it and launch another.

studio_monitor.multiview1.png

RossMcIntosh

It sounds like some of the features of Tools 3.5 are being discussed here.
I've re-dowloaded the Tools Installers, but it looks like they're still version 3.0.
I should add, I'm on a Mac just now. Is 3.5 only currently available on Windows? Or not publicly available yet?

Thanks

Top Bottom