NDI across a University Campus

Muzzman

The Network IT people at the campus I work at have set up a VLAN to connect an NC1 I/O in one building to connect to a Tricaster TC1 across campus.
It worked once, but now the problem is the TC1 cannot see the NDI signals from the 2 cameras plugged into the NC1.
I have a MIX2 output returning from the TC1 which the NC1 can identify.
Is there a way to identify the NDI streams through a Stream Analyzer, rather than hoping to see the NDI source in the Input list?

sclaws

The Network IT people at the campus I work at have set up a VLAN to connect an NC1 I/O in one building to connect to a Tricaster TC1 across campus.
It worked once, but now the problem is the TC1 cannot see the NDI signals from the 2 cameras plugged into the NC1.
I have a MIX2 output returning from the TC1 which the NC1 can identify.
Is there a way to identify the NDI streams through a Stream Analyzer, rather than hoping to see the NDI source in the Input list?
Try Access Manager with NDI Tools with the NDI Discovery Server. I'm not good at explaining the specifics but both have helped us tremendously with reliability connecting to NDI sources across the campus.

brandon.hortman

Add the ip of the nc1io in the remote sources section of access manager on the tricaster.

If this doesn't work then there are some firewall rules set up on your van.

I used telnet sometimes in the command prompt to ensure I can talk to the source.

Telnet 192.0.0.1 5960

5960 is the port for the messaging server and will display the info that ndi analysis does, but about that one source. If you can't telnet it, then it's not gonna work.

It's also good to use iperf to test point to point bandwidth.
In my case we only had 80 mbits available and could not transmit reliably.

NDI users mDNS add a discovery method on a local network to call out on port 5353 to advertise to all machines. This doesn't work between subnets, so access manager was created.
You direct access manager to the ip of the source and it looks at port 5960 for the info about the sources of offers. IE nc1io out 1 5961, nc1io out 2 5962 ect

Muzzman

Thanks for the info, we tried everything over the last 2 weeks. The NDI idea ended up being scrapped.
I will pass this info on to the relevant people to see if there is anything to assist, but Access Manager didn't provide any way to rectify the issue.

Muzzman

Just came across Birddog-Cloud. Has anyone used this way of overcoming the VLAN issues as stated above. Ideas for setup, especially with an NC1 I/O.

kanep

NewTek SE
There are a few different 'NDI Gateway' products like BirdDog Cloud, Sienna Cloud and MediaLooks that will pick up NDI at one location, send it over the Internet then decode it back into NDI on the other network. You will need a computer on both sides to install the gateway software to manage the connection.

Top Bottom