NDI 5 Discovery Server on DHCP

David S

I have been testing the use of a discovery server with NDI 5. I can successfully run it on a Rasberry Pi and it sees sources and listeners. My listeners can connect to the sources OK if I put the correct IP address of my Rasberry Pi into Access Manager.

However, I don't want to assign my Rasberry Pi a fixed address just at the moment. Currently it is configured to use DHCP and being used as an NTP server. My current clients (also on DHCP) successfully access it using a xxx.local address.

My problem is that the NDI 5 Access Manager cannot find a discovery server with an address entered as xxx.local, even though I can ping that same xxx.local address.

Is there any way I can put an xxx.local address into Access Manager, or do I have to wait for NDI 5.1?

kanep

NewTek SE
Discovery Server has always wanted an IP address, even with NDI 4. I'm not sure if there are plans to change this, but my recommendation is to set a IP reservation in your DHCP server so the Pi will always get the same address.

David S

Discovery Server has always wanted an IP address, even with NDI 4. I'm not sure if there are plans to change this, but my recommendation is to set a IP reservation in your DHCP server so the Pi will always get the same address.
Thanks for the speedy answer.

I have some network changes coming up in part due to some problematic hardware and was hoping to avoid burying a hardware specific reference in one of my switches. The beauty of using DHCP for the discovery server is that I could configure and test it off site and then just plug it into the network as required. I can then also just pop out the Pi for something more suitable if I decide I need some more server power for other purposes.

If my server IP address can't change (due to the limitations of NDI Access Manager), I think I would prefer to directly give it the fixed address, rather than hoping it always get that address via DHCP.

Top Bottom