NDI 3.8 Tools

RoboST

Just installed Studio Monitor (only) from NDI Tools v3.8 on that laptop. Studio Monitor will now run but the video is not performing like the NDI Video Monitor version and the audio is lower, I have to boost in in the app for some reason.

I like all the new features but I think I may just use the older versions on that laptop. I will pay with the current version for a day or so (including changing some video card settings) and then decide. I may have to just change a few settings.

EDIT: I just uninstalled the last Studio Monitor (from January 2018) version on another (newer) laptop, installed v3.8 and the audio on that one is also much lower, even from the previous Studio Monitor version. Of course set to +0dB under Settings | Audio. (I also check the live stream and the audio is normal.

Has something changed in audio handling w/Studio Monitor (3.8) which by default is lower?

Last edited:

livepad

Just installed Studio Monitor (only) from NDI Tools v3.8 on that laptop. Studio Monitor will now run but the video is not performing like the NDI Video Monitor version and the audio is lower, I have to boost in in the app for some reason.

I like all the new features but I think I may just use the older versions on that laptop. I will pay with the current version for a day or so (including changing some video card settings) and then decide. I may have to just change a few settings.

EDIT: I just uninstalled the last Studio Monitor (from January 2018) version on another (newer) laptop, installed v3.8 and the audio on that one is also much lower, even from the previous Studio Monitor version. Of course set to +0dB under Settings | Audio. (I also check the live stream and the audio is normal.

Has something changed in audio handling w/Studio Monitor (3.8) which by default is lower?

Hi RoboST

If you are struggling with hardware which doesnt meet the spec required for the new Studio Monitor you might consider installing Ubuntu Linux on that hardware and using the new Sienna Monitor which has just been released. It can use hardware acceleration where available (non specific) and also work with no hardware acceleration. It doesn't have all the fancy features of the NewTek Studio Monitor like overlays (and its not free) but it works really nicely as a straight full screen Monitor to HDMI on lower spec machines, which is what it was specifically designed for.

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ubuntumonitor.html

zenvideo.co.uk

If comparing a Jan 2018 edition and a current one, then probably yes, the default audio handling has changed. Do you actually know what NDI audio level you're sending (in terms of NDI "notional dBu" levels)? The meters in the Studio monitor measure the equivalent of dBVU levels, where a SMPTE reference level of +4dBu = 0 VU = -20dBFS, so peak levels before clipping are at +20 on the Studio Monitor meters and now, by default, that is the level that will generate the maximum analogue level out of an audio device before clipping. If your NDI levels are below the SMPTE norms, then you can boost the output by using the +6, +10 or +20 options in the Settings > Audio menu.

Top Bottom