My First Tricaster Experience

ChxEsl

It seems awesome. The one and only solution.
Here are some notes. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Its frustrating now.
I work now for 2 months at a company thats spends over 30K euros on a TC1 and 3 years later are limited by 1080p60 and a defect. Let me explain.

The system is bought with SDI INPUT2 not working. This is noticed by me, out of warranty.
They never used more than 2 SDI inputs (the outer ones, 1 and 4) so it was not a problem before.

This is not entirely true. Forget this.

The update issues somewhere in '18. When the display driver errors. After updating the system says, its up to date.
But the UI in the tutorials changed and then my company noticed that something was not ok.
This update problem was fixed by talking to costumer support after reading a vague topic in the old forum. No one told that this was a issue.

Today i noticed that when go 4K you dont get 4 mixes but 1. Its a loss of 3 outputs that i used for other purposes. One man operation, one machine that rules them all.
NewTek says on ther TC1 landing page ->
  • Switching, streaming, recording in HD, 3G, and 4K UHD 60p
  • Unlike other products that promise 4K UHD, only TriCaster TC1 allows you to switch, stream and record 4K UHD video without compromising the frame rate or the number of available inputs.
Oke they say inputs. But when you write something like that its obvious that when go 4K, there is no comprimise. But there is. You get 1 and not 4 mixes to play with.

A few weeks ago we bought 3 Panasonic (15K EUR) cameras to run over NDI-HX.
Just spend a lot of money, scary and a big step for us. Lets install this awesomeness!
Then you still need to purcase a Licence 300EUR for each cam?
Tell me before, then it could be calculated. Now its a bad experience. This was not expected.

When trying to ask these questions in a second customer support session you have to pay because tiers and custumor support?
Did not expect this. OK newtek is updating the online appearance. Awesome. You must do this.
But a result is that you cannot find anything anymore because of dead google links.
And it cost extra money. Why is this?

My opinion:
In the pricerange of this equipment should customer support be amazed to have customers to support.
Its a amazing system but its weird. Lets forget this, i dont do money things.

Why is taskmgr and logging disabled?

This more a recap of my day.
Really frustrated. Wanted to share this. And if im thinking wrong. Please let me know.
This is only my side of this story and still in the emotional phase.

Last edited:

FalkRuda

It seems awesome. The one and only solution.
Here are some notes. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Its frustrating now.
I work now for 2 months at a company thats spends over 30K euros on a TC1 and 3 years later are limited by 1080p60 and a defect. Let me explain.

The system is bought with SDI INPUT2 not working. This is noticed by me, out of warranty.
They never used more than 2 SDI inputs (the outer ones, 1 and 4) so it was not a problem before.

The update issues somewhere in '18. When the display driver errors. After updating the system says, its up to date.
But the UI in the tutorials changed and then my company noticed that something was not ok.
This update problem was fixed by talking to costumer support after reading a vague topic in the old forum. No one told that this was a issue.

Today i noticed that when go 4K you dont get 4 mixes but 1. Its a loss of 3 outputs that i used for other purposes. One man operation, one machine that rules them all.
NewTek says on ther TC1 landing page ->
  • Switching, streaming, recording in HD, 3G, and 4K UHD 60p
  • Unlike other products that promise 4K UHD, only TriCaster TC1 allows you to switch, stream and record 4K UHD video without compromising the frame rate or the number of available inputs.
Oke they say inputs. But when you write something like that its obvious that when go 4K, there is no comprimise. But there is. You get 1 and not 4 mixes to play with.

A few weeks ago we bought 3 Panasonic (15K EUR) cameras to run over NDI-HX. Just spend 45K, awesome. Lets install this awesomeness! Then you still need to purcase a Licence 300EUR for each cam? Tell me before, then it could be calculated. Now its a bad experience. This was not expected.

When trying to ask these questions to customer support. (OK newtek is updating thery online appearance. Lets forget this. (dead google links))
No you have to pay because tiers and custumor support?

Why is taskmgr and logging disabled? No overhead/cycles for that or what are you trying to hide?

This more a recap of my day.
Really frustrated. Wanted to share this. And if im thinking wrong. Please let me know.
This is only my side of this story and still in the emotional phase.
Hi ChxEsl,

you are right, it's like the older barco e2 cards 4 x hd or 1x 4k.
What typ of camera did you buy?
In this range this would be a great one: Panasonic AW-UE100 (fullNDI)

ChxEsl

Hi, thanks for reply.

I got another issue.
When you delay audio it skips frames. The volume bar on the input is also stuttering. So i dare to say that audio Delay on a TC1v3 is not working as expected.
Every few minutes the stuttering dissapears, then it works ok. Then it starts again with stuttering.
Solved by delaying the audio via a Yamaha QL1 but i like to do it with the tricaster.

The cameras we bought are the AW-UE150.
The 3 cameras are connected to a switch with a 5GE NIC to the Tricaster.
Almost everything goes over NDI now. Some streams goes out over SDI because of Daissychaining.
Audio via dante does his job over the onboard ETH0 in a seperate subnet.
The streams goes away over ETH1 in a seperate subnet.
The NDI devices comes in over ETH2 in a seperate subnet.

Last edited:

FalkRuda

that's really interesting, we have the same audio issue and it feels like the signal from the cameras is the problem(it's random).Surprising that it is the Delay, i will check that. Okay so the UE100 is the only full NDI cam from Panasonic.Bad situation. The config sounds very good but the issues are really bad for a system like this. On Monday we have the next test session.

ChxEsl

Wow. Amazing. I did not expect this. Please keep me posted about your experience.
Do you mean UE100? I work with the 150.
When i am with the tricaster i will reproduce the stuttering and post the results here.

Last edited:

ChxEsl

4 Mics connected to a QL1. The matrix that has these mics goes over dante to input 16 on the tricaster (audio only).
In the tricaster on input 16 is the audio delayed by 82 ms.
Then i go live to a private rtmp server.
Everthing works ok.
After 7 minutes the stuttering starts and dissapears after 4min.
Then the stuttering starts again for 4 minutes.
Then it dissapears.
This repeates.
I do not move the cameras, just the one initial postition.

Tried:
When the stuttering starts. I play a 1 min video on DDR1. Mute the microphones on the yamaha when starting the video.
After 1 minute when the video ends i unmute the mics and it works again without stuttring.
After a few minutes the stuttering starts again.

Last edited:

dstevenslv

We only use the Tricaster audio for follows unless we absolutely need to use the Tricaster audio processing. For example fixing a bad DDR track. We set delays in the console as with the other processing.

In your case if your QL has current firmware you'll be able to set delays on the Dante output port. If it's the delay in the Tricaster this should remedy it. Page 46 in the QL quick start manual describes the process. That said I've used the delays in the Tricaster and not had those issues.

To ensure it's the Tricaster and not the stream record your stream locally. Try your test on another provider like Twitch or You Tube to see if it's your server. Stuttering like that is usually dropped frames, lost sync or faulty clock. To see if it's the console (I'd consider that highly unlikely) record the matrix out to USB (page 146 in the QL full manual). My guess is it's probably not the Tricaster or QL (but still possible) and it's your streaming server or network to the server.

Dave

FalkRuda

Funny thing, after a complete reconfiguration of our network infrastructure last two days we have nearly no delay, no drops and everything is working fine.

FalkRuda

Is it possible to define 'reconfiguration'?
Hey, sorry heavy workload.
I made a factory restore on our Cisco Switches and used the network guidelines from Newtek for reconfiguration.
At the end the problem was a teltonika router that serves the DHCP.
Now the cbs 350 is the dhcp server .

Top Bottom