'must have' plug-ins for LW 9.6? Need advice from LW Masters!!

Sensei

TrueArt Support
I have idea how to check whether Kray initialize Screen X/Y fields in volumetric access structure even without looking at source code- take TrueArt's Node Library > Extended Spot Info > X, connect it to Standard Material Color input, and output connect to TrueInfinitePlane. Rendered image should have black to white gradient from left to right. Tested with LW render, and TH.

Captain Obvious

I have feeling it was in HD_Instance v1.7-v1.8 times.. Check dates of this message, with when v2.0 was released, and Kray version/revision.. This way authors, if have backups, could compare and realize what was changed since then.
It was in a Skype chat, and I don't have the logs saved anywhere. I'll check with the other testers, though — it'd be nice if HD-Instance worked in Kray, and I don't have a license for it so I can't check it myself.

I have idea how to check whether Kray initialize Screen X/Y fields in volumetric access structure even without looking at source code- take TrueArt's Node Library > Extended Spot Info > X, connect it to Standard Material Color input, and output connect to TrueInfinitePlane.
I'll have a look when I get back to my LW seat. :)

Btw, Sensei — how about compiling your stuff for 64-bit? I've been interested in a few of your plugins a while, but I don't run 32-bit software. Perhaps you could ask someone else in the LW plugin community to compile it in 64-bit for you? Michael Wolf, maybe? I think he compiles the 64-bit and Mac versions of Denis Pontonnier's plugins.

Lightwolf

obfuscated SDK hacker
http://www.db-w.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=126

Incompatible with FPrime
Due to LightWave 3D SDK limitations FPrime can't render shaders. As these are crucial for shaderMeister, FPrime isn't able to render any modifications due to shaderMeister.

Incompatible with HDInstance
For the same reason as the FPrime incompatibility, shaderMeister won't be visible on items that are rendered by HDInstance.
I suppose I can shed some light into this.

Essentially, FPrime and HDInstance use the LW SDK in a way that it was never designed to be used (come to think of it, shaderMeister as well ;) ).
Now, shaderMeister needs to use shader type plugins (not to be confused with texture layers and nodes, which are plugins used for surfacing as well) for a number of technical reasons. It's pretty much the only way to hook into LWs shading pipeline in an automated fashion.

On the other had, shaders are one of the oldest types of plugins for LW, they're ancient. And they have never really been exposed within LW in such a way as to allow other plugins to actually evaluate them. And evaluate they must to be able to render their effects.

Having said that (as Sensei mentioned earlier), shaderMeister does have its own SDK for other third parties to hook into, and it's been sent out. However (again, as Sensei said) since the amount of customers that use a certain combination of plugins is relatively small, even if the "communication" exists it may not be worthwhile to implement (unless it's just seen as a challenge).

Three exceptions that I've been involved with:
BNR has native support for exrTrader.
Janus has native support for exrTrader (both developers got the specs for how the plugin settings are saved in a scene, and they are available for others).
PackageScene.ls from NewTek has (ComRing based!) hooks to allow third parties to also include their content when a scene is packaged (infiniMap takes advantage of that).

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf

obfuscated SDK hacker
Michael Wolf, maybe? I think he compiles the 64-bit and Mac versions of Denis Pontonnier's plugins.
Nope, I only do the Mac ports, Marvin Landis handles the x64 compiles.
Having said that, compiling is one thing (it doesn't even require a 64-bit machine) - testing another though. And testing (as some would rightfully argue) is an inherent part of a software development process.

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious

Nope, I only do the Mac ports, Marvin Landis handles the x64 compiles.
Having said that, compiling is one thing (it doesn't even require a 64-bit machine) - testing another though. And testing (as some would rightfully argue) is an inherent part of a software development process.
Should've checked first. :p

I'd happily help out testing more LW plugins. :)

3dWannabe

Maya 2010
My head may explode, but Maya and the other tools in that suite would certainly be useful.

Is Toxik included in Maya 2010, or has it's feature set been absorbed into Maya? The Autodesk site seems to indicate that Toxik's features are now part of Maya?

I've got AE, but I noticed some very favorable comments on Toxik for use with compositing LW.

BTW - this video (created by krisavery using LW and JimmyRIG)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9noxrPD6Vw&feature=player_embedded

He apparently only used x-dof (in LW) and Alien Skin's exposure (in Photoshop CS4) to post process.

Is there a way to get the same warm 'look' inside of LW, or must I post process (in AE, CS4, Toxik - or something).

fyffe

I think happy digital might be seeing kray as competition being that kray has the same instancing feature BUT without the coolest animation offset crowd faking massive alternative feature of hdi. So communications between the developers has stopped.

Not so much that. KRay can read the HD Instance 1.8 settings and I was all for it. But with HD Instance 2 there's no way to get KRay to incorporate the new placement features without handing over most of the HD Instance code to KRay. Believe me I thought about how to do it, and it can't really be done without literally merging the two plugins.

maybe you are right,

but the instancing in Core is fairly limited.
an idea would be to use Core's instancing and add features to it.
i'm especially thinking of animation offset and using weightmaps to control the placements.

and in the future maybe even more advanced features such as combining upper body presets with lower body presets.

and displacements, if possible.

sampei

don't have time to read the whole thread but the plug-ins I can't live withouth are:
- DUNI slide
-frpime
-poly coloring
-edgebevel
-SP poly and move
and untangle and translate plus aren't really plugins but they're awesome and I use them all the time !
also the PLG ones for UV mapping are ace...there's more, many more :D

Top Bottom