MULE requires .NET Framework - Safe to install?

Tom Wood

Amused
I don't know what changes the Microsoft .NET Framework will make, or even what it does, so I wanted to ask if it's safe for a novice to install. I have an older dual Xeon PC machine running Win XP Pro, that runs my VT4, Dreamweaver and LightWave 8.5 among several other applications.

Tom Wood

Amused
From what I can gather, .NET Framework is a collection of pre-created computer instructions. My concern is, does it run on its own in the background and impact the computer's performance at all times, or does it only run when called upon?

COBRASoft

Dear Tom, it won't affect your performance if no program is started using .Net. I will take some memory from your HD and RAM in worst case, but that shouldn't be a problem. I'm developing in .Net everyday since it came out :)

Jim_C

We've got it simple.
Hey Tom,

I have not had Net Framework mess up any of our VT or SE installs.
One thing to look for...

Only try to install the Framework version you need.
I think it is up to version 3.0 by now but the app in question may only need 1.1.
So if you install 1.1 and all is happy, don't feel compelled to check the update boxes for 2.0 or 3.0 etc in Windows Update unless you HAVE to for a program.

COBRASoft

Well, the most recent version is 3.5 actually. But you're right, only install the version you need. Although, .Net 3.5 will be required in the near future if you want to run Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) programs.

Tom Wood

Amused
That was....interesting.

MULE chose version 1.1 of .NET which I let it install. Unfortunately, MULE only sees the two actual processors and not the two virtual processors (Dual Xeons, hyperthreaded) that Screamernet uses, so it took twice as long to render. Also, the MULE Client ran in the background with no icon in the bottom bar telling me it was running. So, System Restore, and I'm back to square one.

Top Bottom