Mt first view render

Whelkn

Absorbs Lightning
I may have used DEM data ;-) any way. This is my home town MT. MT. Graham Arizona

Attachments

• Mt_Graham0001.jpg
    Mt_Graham0001.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 446

prometheus

REBORN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGu6mbh7Jc&list=UUhk8bltYCSgq9P5XDFh3e7g&index=1&feature=plcp

there is the animation-- had to do it at a lower rez and render quality. Vue is really slow---

Depends on terrain type and type of cloud model I suspect, avoid spectral 3 clouds if you don´t need them, an extreme clogger that they should rewrite, use spectral 1 clouds, actually there´s a confusion in spectral naming, the spectral model itself is 3, but they still call the cloud model types 1 and 2, but use model 1 if you can.

I think you are not using fractal terrains? vue shouldn´t be so slow if your set it up carefully.

Love your compositing work otherwise, the vue clip isn´t any special thou.

Yes..upgrade your system, preferably nvida cards for better opengl and pixel shaders, fast cpu etc.

The dem data itself can be a clogger I suspect, how large is the terrain, what terrain typ did you use, and resolution of it?
Final render size?

Michael

Whelkn

Absorbs Lightning
Prometheus I still think its not bad for my first play in Vue never said it was anything special ;-) it was mostly to get the Vue -- Lightwave-- Fusion workflow down for a movie we are working on at work. Camera animation in LW -- object creation and rendering of frames in Vue -- and then loading all objects into Fusion for Multiple Image projections-- it works really well.

Zapper-- thanks man :)

prometheus

REBORN
Prometheus I still think its not bad for my first play in Vue never said it was anything special ;-) it was mostly to get the Vue -- Lightwave-- Fusion workflow down for a movie we are working on at work. Camera animation in LW -- object creation and rendering of frames in Vue -- and then loading all objects into Fusion for Multiple Image projections-- it works really well.

Zapper-- thanks man :)

Yes indeed, I got that..first time testing around..I can only see that once you get custom with it, we will most like see great stuff from you.
Your compositing work rocks, so you will have another great tool for matte paintings at your disposal, a little more late nights and you will pick it up real good, Im certain of that.

What you could try while learning landscape shots and camera movement, that would be to turn of clouds mostly to easier work with faster previews of your animations etc, unless you do not need special cloud shadows in there or something.
That will speed up your workflow while testing.

however sometime you would want to fiddle and even get nice clouds in there in full glory from spectral clouds, you should spend time on that too..
but perhaps doing so on seperate testing passes, just to understand them
and only use them when needed in the end

That´s just some advice to avoid being annoyed of how slow vue is, spectral atmosphere can be very slow, so be careful of using the spectral 2 cloud layers if possible.

Michael

prometheus

REBORN
I will take a deep look at my wallet to see if I can spit something out to order latest version soon.

the terrain editing tools are looking great with spline editing, and roads context sculpting etc.
I think they have worked quite hard on terrain tools this version.

I only wish they could work on the latest spectral 2(3) cloud model since it is soo slow, that is why that model has a default quality setting of minus -1 or something to enhance speed, but at cost of grain in the clouds, for godrays and removal of grain in clouds, you would probably need an atmospheric quality setting above 2 and around 4 or something, but that depends also on render AA settings when switching to final or higher render quality.

Then they really need to get going on enhancing or simply add a density fractal dedicated for clouds, the defaults are lousy and that is why many artists have renders showcasing a lot of round blobs in the clouds that doesn´t look naturaly, if they had weather or gardner clouds or turbulent noise like in Lightwave, that would have been tweakable to quite good clouds, or if they had something close to Terragens cloud density fractals wich are superior.

I would pick vue over terragen anyway, UI ease of use, speed comparison to terragen is much better.

Don´t forget the real world outside and study the environment:)
And also get a break from the computer with some fresh air,
it seems you are having some awesome nature next to your neighbourhood right?

Michael

Whelkn

Absorbs Lightning
Well here is a few for you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 304

prometheus

REBORN
Lovely, I wish I had such glorius huge vistas to gaze on, so nice with mountains and those open deser fields or something.

Completly different terrain here in stockholm, no high mountains, mostly forrests, cobbs, some farm fields in the outer regions, and not to far away from me coast lines with archipelago with lots of small cobb islands, many small lakes etc, I should really go out and take some shots thou, even thou they won´t come close to the grandios landscape you showcase, more sort of smaller charm to it.

not my images, but some commune images from tyresö, in the suburbs of stockholm city, aprox 2 miles away from city, I got a couple of Km to get to this lake, wich we use to live close to, I used to go fishing there at night bringing some (perch?) to our cats.

http://www.stockholmsbilder.se/TYRESO 2008_html/Gammelstrom/content/Gammelstr_m_009_large.html

full index over lake area..
http://www.stockholmsbilder.se/TYRESO 2008_html/Gammelstrom/index.html

A print screen Map overview of my area, should even do a more zoomed out and zoomed in area, this is only useful thou if you want to track me down:) beware thou, wolf has actually been seen at the small national park within the red marking boarder, the red round mark is an aproximation of where exactly I live, the red arrow shows the lake where the images above is taken. to the right is the beginning of the archipelagos wich extends much further out and this is the baltic sea.

Michael

Attachments

• tyresö.jpg
    tyresö.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

Whelkn

Absorbs Lightning
Nice-- Looks like a great area to live and you are right in the middle of all that-- For this weekends trip I had to drive for an hr to get to the start of the trail.

prometheus

REBORN
takes me maybe 10 minutes or 15 minutes to that lake If Im lucky with the bus connections, don´t have a car, that would have brought me there even faster.

otherwise I got some other nice lakes around which is closer, but I have to walk trough some woods to get there, so there´s a lot of lakes here, would like to find the most magical lake in stockholm somewhere, but I don´t think my lifetime is enough to go through them all, and visit all charming cobbs in the archipelago would be impossible, at least if I continue doing 3d.

so many lakes and cobbs, and bays reaching very far in stockholm city, the city itself is surrounded with lots of water, some larger green parks ..further in a couple of huge fresh water seas, from where we get our drinking water from.

If I were to cross straight over inwards the land, with a car 3.5 hours maybe, then I would end up crossing the boarder and reaching norway and its capital oslo, would like to go higher up north in norway and try the so called"hurtig rutten"(don´t know the english word for it now), that is said to be one of the world most beautiful places, fjords mist high mountains etc.

Very beautiful places in sweden with more grandiour vistas can be seen up north, that will take much longer time to reach thou, high mountains there too, but no open desert landscapes exactly, it is all forrests here.

how about USA, is there similar coast lines with bays reaching very far in land, with gnarly water areas growing inwards?

when I go with google earth and check it, I can´t seem to find anything similar, or I might have missed it?

Got to hit the sack now though, Nice talking with you about nature areas and neighbourhood living Vistas.

No matter how you try, it will be hard to recreate in cg the beauty of real nature.

Not sure if I would say that Avatar did a mighty fine world, the concept idea was nice, and they had reference from some great areas, but I think they should have gone with a middle thing look between the real and the bioluminence world, just thought that the colors came on too strong and perhaps the color scheme wasn´t right for me.

Michael

Last edited:

PabloMack

SciEngArtist
I may have used DEM data ;-) any way. This is my home town MT. MT. Graham Arizona

My first impression before I read your info is "Looks like the Cofa Mountains in SW Arizona." I once went there to visit a grad student doing her Kangaroo Rat studies there.

Top Bottom