More space nebulas

prometheus

REBORN
Just fiddlin..

hv sprites on some spline curves points

maybe som stars should be added..not sure if they are born yet thou:)

Attachments

• nebula.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 386

geothefaust

Javis Jones: Night Crew
Hey there!

I really like it. It's very atmospheric.

Only crits I have, is perhaps to add some stars. Even if it's only a few newly born stars. Also why not put in a nearby galaxy or a starfield in the background?

Looks nice, and I am looking forward to your next image. :)

prometheus

REBORN
thanks..Ill try to add some stars later on perhaps..
I just did this to continue on the space theme that was posted recently..

Etch

ooh very nice, how did you achieve that wispy look instead of the generic "poofy" look?

prometheus

REBORN
Etch said:
ooh very nice, how did you achieve that wispy look instead of the generic "poofy" look?

uhh..tweaking and tweaking.
let see...hard to exactly narrow it down perhaps..
its all hv sprites.. number of slices is 5.

the texture has a stretch direction on z around 360 %.

turbulence texture...with a slightly billow effect
very low texture effect speed.

The texture amplide i set to around 110

the particle size must be big enough so it looks like they blend in eachother
no small puffs here.

The contrast in hypertexture is at a minus value at around 60.
a gradient on the luminosity channel.
a turbulence procedural texture in the dissolve channel.

theres a colorful distant to object gradient in the color texture and
above that layer is a turbulence procedural set to a difference mode that
scatters the color out a little more randomly.

theres three spline curves on two layers wich the hypervoxels sprites are applied to.

that´s most of the settings...
did you use the volume mode for yours?

Etch

hmm very interesting. Ya I used the volume sprite for mine, and then gradients in the color, luminosity, and density channels all using the "local density" input option.

For the general shape of mine I either spray points or create a basic shape and sub-d it a bunch and then use the various tools to deform it's shame, then use the points2poly tool and apply the hypervoxels to that.

What was your render time for that image?

prometheus

REBORN
some more test with hv sprites on one or two nulls, render times ranging from something between 10-20 seconds in some different resolutions etc 500X900.

should have made a better compilation or contact sheet with same sizes and scene name perphaps.
I have some 150 scenefiles just with similar nebulas, so I have to try and be selective and save the best ones.

Attachments

• Nebula collection.jpg
    Nebula collection.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 1,052

starbase1

May the sauce be with you
Very Cool! Any chance of sharing some presets?

My volumetric light nebulae presets are on my downloads page, so I practice what I preach!

prometheus

REBORN
starbase1 said:
Very Cool! Any chance of sharing some presets?

My volumetric light nebulae presets are on my downloads page, so I practice what I preach!

Thanks!
yeah..absolutly I will see what I can share, you are giving and sharing generously on your site so why not me.
I have to figure out what to share thou, don´t know what kind of nebula looks the best so any feedback is good.

Oh and as a tip, in most cases a painted background will do just fine for nebulas, but instead of starting to paint it all from scratch or using photos,
we can set up some nice hypervoxels, render that out and even process and enhance in a painting program and then mapp it back on to geometry spheres cylinders or other in Lightwave.

loki74

Wow, these are quite nice. For a moment I thought you were posting the reference pics you used.

prometheus said:
some more test with hv sprites on one or two nulls, render times ranging from something between 10-20 seconds in some different resolutions etc 500X900.

should have made a better compilation or contact sheet with same sizes and scene name perphaps.
I have some 150 scenefiles just with similar nebulas, so I have to try and be selective and save the best ones.

"Contact sheet?" You wouldn't happen to come from a photography background, would you? :p

prometheus

REBORN
loki74 said:
Wow, these are quite nice. For a moment I thought you were posting the reference pics you used.

"Contact sheet?" You wouldn't happen to come from a photography background, would you? :p

He..Thanks that was a nice compliment that it might look like reference images.

no..those pics are actually photos from last night when I hi jacked the Nasa hubble teleskop and found som new nebulas..he..Kidding:)
I still have a lot to improve on getting much better nebulas..some more time spending on it and some research also perhaps.

I really wish there would be a new Dynamite release soon..some year?. having the demoversion was giving some promising nebulas with those smokestyle pillars shooting up like the eagle nebulae.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/astro/hst_pillars_m16.jpg

yeah contact sheet..no I don´t have a real photographer background, I did work at two different photolabs a couple of years ago copying and all sorts of stuff, and some minor photo courses att school and media courses.

hv sprites are fun and pretty fast, and with proper gradients and right amount of slices and a combination of several sprites a little more depht and volume can be achieved, it cant really be compared to volumetrics hv:s thou, but those aren´t very practical and enjoyable to tinker with due to rendertimes.

prometheus

REBORN
Oki doki..but just one hv preset and just one textured environment background..I have to go through everything and sort it all up and naming stuff and so on..perhaps more presets later on.

to get anything near my pics, there´s a little more to it thou by blending different nebulas and so on, but this might give a little start.

The size of these universal stuff is really ridiculous small ..he.
so either models have to be adapted to this size or work around it.

to use the textured environment, the dennis p plugin weather is needed and for stary background youll need ifw2 textures or create the stars by your own.
I really love the weather procedural..this background wasn´t the best thou..but start by tweaking the scale on it and copy layers and add as additive and do some small small changes on that.

Attachments

• Mikeys presets.zip
    35.7 KB · Views: 199

Thanks!

i should sleep...

ran it through GigaPixel Ai, (lower image) thought i'd share,
just cleaning up folders / files over here...

prometheus

REBORN
Oh..that´s been years ago, and quite a while since I fiddle with nebula, and that´s mostly just legacy hv´s anf sprites, fast to render.
I can not see much of difference in the images you posted though, a slightly enhanced detail and slight more undulation, but not much difference, not sure what you aimed for with the post processing?

The newer system (2019-2020) is has more depth and possibilities for more detail, but still with depth, the downside..extremely longer rendertimes.
That´s the volumetric 2019 system, you could also expand more on it by using the gas solver or importing fluids from other 3D software and use some nifty coloring..but still slow to render unless having a fast cpu or octane.

Prom Nebula 2019.jpg

yea, the 2020 stuff you made is quite much richer

I can not see much of difference in the images you posted though,
not the best example perhaps, but more detail, and more denoising.

here, another example using the image above.

some areas denoised, some not, due to too much noise in original.

(compared to simple upscale)

Last edited:

are rendertimes that bad tho' ?

here, rendered in5 minutes on a stone-age machine.
(a modern machine renders it in 1 minute)

prometheus

REBORN

are rendertimes that bad tho' ?

here, rendered in5 minutes on a stone-age machine.
(a modern machine renders it in 1 minute)

My samples, probably 45 min to hours..and it is because of this..
Consider I think I got a faster cpu than you,(which makes it odd I would get slower renders so dramaticly) but consider you just used one volume item, I often use two or more, and consider the most render intensive part, volumetric lights(which means global lighting) I have some..you don´t.
And having that to iterate to noisefree will take forever together with volumetric items, that is why my renders are a bit noise and not because of step size, had I removed volumetric lighting, much faster and cleaner.

I think your sample has too low step size, thus edges or too sharp, and a mush lower aa level I think.

Also consider size of the volume item and step size, unless you want to fiddle with mm sized nebulas(which you can do) but I tend to use a bit bigger than that in case I need to through in a more earth sized object in there.

It also depends on what texture you use, different procedurals will render different in speed, as well as what kind of scattering level or thickness they have, how much light is needed to be calculated inside the volume affects rendertime.

You could of course settle for noise in the initial image and smooth in post process, but not if you are using this kind of stars, or want to keep the nice detail, I think I saw a cloud sample from Kat on liberty 3D..on his training with fusion and clouds, where the raw initial clouds were extremely noisy, but once in fusion smoothed out in post, so you could do it that way when you can get away with it.

Ive found a nice noise filter reduction in krita for such things though, but don´t now how to batch treat it, there is no way to set a batch processing over sequenced frames.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Here´s a Krita smooth anisotrophic filter, there are loads of settings in these filters to reduce noise.
For a animation with davinci resolve or fusion, I haven´t found a filter that is equally good, or half that good as that of krita.

Volumetric lights is what gives that extra glow touch, and it needs to affect the volume nebulae itself, that´s the trick, and that is also the cause of the long rendertimes.

smooth anisotrophic.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom