Moonlight Sonata

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
Really wasn't sure whether to post this or not as this is more for a music/piano playing audience - and the fact that this is nowhere near my best effort with LW!! However the LW scene is there to tell the back story of the piece. I can already imagine Prometheus holding his head in despair as he looks at the approaching storm clouds!!

I did learn some cool new things doing this, namely the Dpont plugin for the splashing rain drops at the end. If I had more time to spend on this I might've put some splashing particles on the gravestone closest to the camera, maybe animated the trees in the background as well.

I am quite pleased I managed to finally create a walk cycle with character (of sorts, they're supposed to be struggling with the heavy coffin) - not going to win any awards but bettter than anything I've created before.

Any ideas as to how I could improve the animation of the storm clouds? Basically I had to use a couple of PNG cloud assets in After Effects and use as much displacement as I could (after a certain level they would just disentegrate). LW volumetrics were out of the question due to render times. animated clouds with Terragen? Ha! Not in this lifetime...

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

scallahan1

Still...Absolute Amateur
Yo Adrian,

Excellent job on the piano playing! Cool video. I should practice someday myself. I'd love to progress that far someday. :)

Steve

prometheus

REBORN
If you used png sequences, why not just a real cloud lapse animation of a stormcloud?
using displacement on still images is not properly going to change a still image to a billowing cloud front.

A fluid simulation is also one way to go, but you would first have to do long simulation time, then long render time as well, the only way to cheat the time here is to use low scale scenarios for that, and not that much of nice quality for the final render, that you filter in post, the tricky part would then be to composit it to look right in scale and perspective I would suppose.

Other than that, just get hold of cloud timelapse movies, there are a lot out there, and you could of course ask someone for permission to use it, or give a donation.

Then again, I reckon you do not want fast moving storm clouds, but very subtle in the change of the storm cloud?

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
I forgot to say, the playing of Beethoven´s music, sound great.
His my favourite too, prefer him over Bach.
Though I think Wagner fits my internal strings much more, it resonates with the molecules in my body the best, though Beethoven and Bach are geniuses in a different style and on another scale.

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
Thanks guys.... clouds timelapse - great idea, didn't even think of it (y)

Talking of Bach, I'm learning how to play Toccata et Fugue at the moment which to be fair is way above my level but hey, life is about pushing ourselves right! Then it'll be on to Beethoven's 5th symphony. I'm not familiar with Wagner, will have to check out some of his stuff.

prometheus

REBORN
Thanks guys.... clouds timelapse - great idea, didn't even think of it (y)

Talking of Bach, I'm learning how to play Toccata et Fugue at the moment which to be fair is way above my level but hey, life is about pushing ourselves right! Then it'll be on to Beethoven's 5th symphony. I'm not familiar with Wagner, will have to check out some of his stuff.

Yes ..timelapse, there are tons of nice cloud timelapses on youtube, it woult take some time to find something of right movement and quality and foremost gett the rights to use it if you are publishing your own artwork with it.
A tricky part could be to block out the sky behind the clouds if you should mix it with a dark night though, other than it needs to be of enough length and a smooth towering up build of the clouds.

One problem with that cloud image asset and just displacing it as a whole to just expand mostly, clouds can move in multilayer sections, so some forms move slightly faster and gives contrast to other layers that moves slightly slower and the movement is also slightly different, that´s what makes it nice to watch.

Music, yes..I think we can talk a little bit off topic on that in here as it provides a mood for your artwork etc etc, and it´s your show:)

Wagner, apart from his wonderful music, he has his legacy tainted with his antisemitism I think, though I am not that versed about the history around that, all that may have impacted Hitler, and a lot of documentary movies about hitler is accompanied by the music of Wagner.

Wagners style is more of grand epos, drama and often connected to Gods and Heros in ancient myths, very much strings and horns, frequency and long extended pitch variations, much Loudness, but with moments of silence in between to make a contrast and a build up of string variational momentums that reaches a pompeous crescendo in the end, often dramatic, so it works great in movies, it´s cinematic.

But I focus on the music, not the political stuff here.
I think I first recognized Wagners music when I watched the 1981 Movie "Excalibur" directed by John Boorman, in my opinion the best movie Ever of any King Arthur legend.
The intro and main title of that movie, it has Wagners music, the whole movie has more of his themes, mixed also with Carl Orff´s "Fortuna"
I have some favourite scenes, like when Arthur is about to go in to his final battle against Mordred, he goes to the hills (stonehenge?) and talks for himself and calls upon Merlin,
who has vanished since many years...in that scene the theme "parsifal" is played, which I like very much.

Also the end scenes are great with the music of Wagner, when Arthur is deadly wounded and commands Parcifal to throw the sword Excalibur in to the lake.
Now ..Trevor Jones stands as the composer, but he obviously followed Wagners arrengments on that movie.

Bach, yes..that Toccata is a good piece to practice on, would like to try some day, but I have never taken any lessons or know notes, so that would be all by ear, I like that piece as well, some others of Bach is a bit of too Old classic and to strict for my taste, though others are pure genius brilliance of course.

do we really need notes :)
Vangelis, doesn´t go by notes, he says he doesn´t even compose ..his just a channel for the universal music that lies within.
Benny Andersson ..One of the members in Abba, a piano virtouse as well..you could listen to the instrumental piece "Intermezzo No,1" which bears a little resemblance to the classical style.

Then we have Ridley Scott, who seem to be a fan of Wagner as well, for Gladiator, which Hans Zimmer composed he used arrangements of "Gods entry in to valhalla"
When the emperor Commudus, returns to rome, that build up in that scene is an extract from Wagners theme.
Also a Scene and soundtrack that has striking resemblence with Wagner, that is when Commudus is raised up in some manual elevator together with Maximus for their final battle.
Ridley also used Wagners theme "Gods entry to valhalla" in the Alien Covenant movie.

0:53 in the clip, the theme that was used both in gladiator and Covenant...

Bach and Beethoven, brilliance in notes, and their dancing with it, the structure of it all, while wagner has his brilliance in resonance and emotions.
Beethovens Ode to joy is however something special for mankind.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
You are familiar, even if you don't realize it. I'm a little saddened that Prometheus cited most everything but the most important use of Wagner's work in motion pictures: "Kill the Wabbit!" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_Opera,_Doc?
Can´t keep track of them all, I haven´t seen everything either, please don´t be sad for pettiness..it doesn´t make you any happier.
(y)

Bugs Bunny didn´t reach us in Sweden with such force to impact most of us in a significant way.

Parsifal overture, tristan und isolde...used a lot in movies.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Was messing around with another software and almost realtime rendering for volumes, could also be a solution for very fast rendering of volumes, especially if it´s not so much delicate sunlight in there as in this case.
One would still have to simulate the fluids for the movement though, and to get that right takes..Time, but if that is done right..I think that would be one way to go about it if you do not find ready cloud timelapses.
But it´s using another software I will not talk about here, not right now..maybe in another thread if related to working with Lightwave as well.

nice

4 further inspiration...

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
Wow, really interesting notes on Wagner there. As I was reading it I was wondering whether you liked Hans Zimmer (he's one of my favourite composers although he's not to everyone's taste). And nope - I had no idea Bugs Bunny had Wagner's music associated with him :D

As for the clouds, and this is going to make me look rather sad.... but I was standing outside yesterday looking up at the sky and I ended up studying how the clouds were moving - and you're right in that they don't just move along a trajectory and expand... they break apart, form new shapes.... very interesting. Although I won't be making any changes to this project I've learnt new stuff for the future.

I was also thinking in terms of using time lapse, that for this particular scene I would've needed to use footage of approaching storm clouds filmed at roughly the same time of day, maybe early evening rather than night because then it would hopefully be easier to adjust the curves/levels to what I needed than if I was trying to turn day clouds into night clouds.

prometheus

REBORN
Wow, really interesting notes on Wagner there. As I was reading it I was wondering whether you liked Hans Zimmer (he's one of my favourite composers although he's not to everyone's taste). And nope - I had no idea Bugs Bunny had Wagner's music associated with him :D

As for the clouds, and this is going to make me look rather sad.... but I was standing outside yesterday looking up at the sky and I ended up studying how the clouds were moving - and you're right in that they don't just move along a trajectory and expand... they break apart, form new shapes.... very interesting. Although I won't be making any changes to this project I've learnt new stuff for the future.

I was also thinking in terms of using time lapse, that for this particular scene I would've needed to use footage of approaching storm clouds filmed at roughly the same time of day, maybe early evening rather than night because then it would hopefully be easier to adjust the curves/levels to what I needed than if I was trying to turn day clouds into night clouds.

Yes, I like Hans Zimmer as well, started to look in to him 2001-2002 and listen to Gladiator over and over again, love the piece he did for "the thin red line" overall in the movie but especially that "light" theme
I liked the superman theme also he made, though competing with mr John williams isn´t fair, different style and emotion though I felt the superman movies needed something new , Hans has a good sense of making very emotional music with little means, few notes..so that is a talent.

I also like Alexandre Desplat, especially since after watching Benjamin Button, wonderful music.

As for clouds, yes..you know, I have spent lot´s of time looking up at the skies..always do when I get outside..always been fascinated by cloud structures since I was a kid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom