modeler: is there any script for a decent objects list panel

3dworks

archvizmacwaver
waiting for too long to make NT this happen, so i post my request here...

background is: if you regularly work with scenes with dozens if not hundreds of objects, the popup style selection in modeler for choosing an object can drive you mad. switching forth and back from layout to modeler for selecting the objects also does cost too much time.

is there any decent script/ plugin which features a layout scene editor style list where one can pick objects with at least alphabetical sorting?
if there isn't anything like this and this thing would be production ready and with some more options like filters, more sorting options etc, i would also pay for it.

ok, i gave you the idea, hope to get an answer ;-)

cheers

markus

ernpchan

Do you wanna mock up what you're thinking of?

Lscript might be limited in creating a full fledged scene editor.

Last edited:

ernpchan

Been playing with your idea and what's possible through scripting is limited. I can get a list of objects that are sorted alphabetically and selecting on an entry will bring that object to be the active object. But making this script as powerful as your describing is probably not possible.

• I don't think there's a way to get the list of objects that are stored between Layout and Modeler in the Hub. You'd have to have all the objects loaded in Modeler for the script to list what's available to you.
  • Modeler doesn't have non-modal panels so you can't have a window open a la Scene Editor and continue to work.
  • I don't think there's a way to enable multiple objects at once. The SETOBJECT command looks to set one at a time.

Submitting a feature request is probably the way to go for something like this.

3dworks

archvizmacwaver
thanks for trying this out - thats probably the reason why i didnt find any plugin/script. good to know the limits of scripting. does maybe python allow for more? i will send a request again to NT, but still hope someone will maybe take this as starting point for creating a plugin (then probably written not in lscript) with workflow helping tools in modeler. a 'match layout camera' feature could be part of these as well, for example...

cheers

markus

ernpchan

...does maybe python allow for more?

Well I was doing it in python which has access to more than lscript but only if stuff is exposed in the sdk. I submitted a feature request for both more access to stuff in python and your larger Modeler Scene Editor.

My script works at a very basic level. It'll list all the objects that are open in Modeler in alphabetical order. You click on an item and it sets that object to the current. You just have to close it to be able to edit the model. So I guess in theory you could hotkey it to bring it up quickly.

I guess it'd save you the headache of dealing with the current object pulldown...(if we had a shoulder shrugging emoticon I'd insert it here).

3dworks

archvizmacwaver
Well I was doing it in python which has access to more than lscript but only if stuff is exposed in the sdk. I submitted a feature request for both more access to stuff in python and your larger Modeler Scene Editor.

My script works at a very basic level. It'll list all the objects that are open in Modeler in alphabetical order. You click on an item and it sets that object to the current. You just have to close it to be able to edit the model. So I guess in theory you could hotkey it to bring it up quickly.

I guess it'd save you the headache of dealing with the current object pulldown...(if we had a shoulder shrugging emoticon I'd insert it here).

sounds like it could be useful already. with 100+ objects in a scene the popup fiddling is totally time consuming on the long terms. are you willing to share? :)

cheers

markus

Sensei

TrueArt Support
If you will click on right side of item pop-down list, there is button opening panel where you can search for them by entering part or full name...

It can stay on screen forever.

Attachments

• Solar System.png
    Solar System.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

3dworks

archvizmacwaver
sensei, this is layout, right? we are talking about modeler here, or maybe i don't understand what you mean with this screenshot...

cheers

markus

Last edited:

jeric_synergy

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
F12 will open the current object in Modeler IF (and only if??) the HUB is running.

So, any feature that facilitates selection in Layout can essentially be used to select an object for Modeler. This include filtering in the SE and the list managers.

3dworks

archvizmacwaver
F12 will open the current object in Modeler IF (and only if??) the HUB is running.

So, any feature that facilitates selection in Layout can essentially be used to select an object for Modeler. This include filtering in the SE and the list managers.

... switching forth and back from layout to modeler for selecting the objects also does cost too much time.

see below...

cheers markus

Top Bottom