Metamorphic in Lightwave

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
I rarely use the term, but this definitely qualifies as a bonafide Game Changer.

I watched a couple vids on Metamorphic last year, but just now getting back to revisiting some things from then. One of my nemesis projects was with a Poncho item of clothing. Tonight, a couple things clicked with PaintWeights and along with Metomorphic; I've an easy, predictable, STABLE, means of massaging clothing now it seems.

The workflow is a breeze & I've a LOT more to learn, but this is encouraging to say the least. I've been considering getting Syflex primarily for cloth, but that's probably getting delayed a bit; still other things for that though.

Can't get too much more complex than these sorts of moves. This was just a first test mostly to see what can be done & limitations. Still some minor spots but those can be corrected; largely just couldn't see issues working in wireframe.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Hehe, shame he never got live keyboard input working quite right on Mac LW, it really could be a great tool. Metamorphic not being able to easily flip "polarity" or change modes while using mouse actions in viewport really harms usability, unfortunately (IMO, anyway).

I'm sure the Mac haters will now provide endless justifications why Mac LW customers don't deserve what we were told we were purchasing from Newtek. :rolleyes:

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
That is a shame. Tried to get the name of the author but couldn't understand the audio in te intro vid.

I did discover today that it doesn't like fiber hair. Doesn't crash or anything, but it does, then doesn't see the mesh. I'm sure it's due to the nature of the mesh being ribbons instead of more contiguous mesh. Maybe if I really zoomed in & reduced the brush, but then it would be tedious to achieve anything. Syflex is back on the more immediate list again.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
I did discover today that it doesn't like fiber hair. Doesn't crash or anything, but it does, then doesn't see the mesh. I'm sure it's due to the nature of the mesh being ribbons instead of more contiguous mesh. Maybe if I really zoomed in & reduced the brush, but then it would be tedious to achieve anything. Syflex is back on the more immediate list again.
Hairs are post-processing effects. Are you using 2 point poly chains? Check if plugin detects any 2 point poly.
If not, convert 2 point poly chain to 3 point poly chain, you can do it by making point in the middle of 2 point poly. Disable render of such mesh in Object Properties and/or use Clip in Node Editor (assign Weight map with 1.0 value and plug to Clip).
Many plugins require >= 3 points. i.e. triangles. Triangle has normal vector. 2 point poly (including 3 point poly made above way) does not have normal vector.
If plugin procedure require normal vector (and it is very very often needed!) polyScan() procedure is constructed this way that it simply skips every poly which does not meet criterion.

prometheus

REBORN
I'm sure the Mac haters will now provide endless justifications why Mac LW customers don't deserve what we were told we were purchasing from Newtek. :rolleyes:

No...Mac Lw customers deserve exactly what they were told when purchasing from Newtek, but they also deserve what´s coming to them for choosing a Mac in the first place.:p😈
So that was not an endless justification to that, nor a single justification for that, from a viewpoint of what can be expected from Newtek that is.

raymondtrace

Founding member
Hehe, shame he never got live keyboard input working quite right on Mac LW, it really could be a great tool. Metamorphic not being able to easily flip "polarity" or change modes while using mouse actions in viewport really harms usability, unfortunately (IMO, anyway).

I don't believe anybody else participating in this topic is limited by Mac so I'm not sure why you chose to highlight such incompatibilities. Further, I don't recall any Mac haters roaming these forums or any comments about what Mac users don't deserve. Lighten up. There's no need for negativity. You've got a Mac and computing is endlessly enjoyable.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Hairs are post-processing effects. Are you using 2 point poly chains? Check if plugin detects any 2 point poly.
If not, convert 2 point poly chain to 3 point poly chain, you can do it by making point in the middle of 2 point poly. Disable render of such mesh in Object Properties and/or use Clip in Node Editor (assign Weight map with 1.0 value and plug to Clip).
Many plugins require >= 3 points. i.e. triangles. Triangle has normal vector. 2 point poly (including 3 point poly made above way) does not have normal vector.
If plugin procedure require normal vector (and it is very very often needed!) polyScan() procedure is constructed this way that it simply skips every poly which does not meet criterion.
No, these hairs are actual geometry. In Daz, they start out as Rman guides, but get converted. Unfortunately, exporting to FBX out of Daz ends up adding EVERY morph and EVERY weight map from the base character, so sometimes "simple" hair items can balloon up to over 2Gb! Daz will write the file but Layout can't open it.

In this case, the more normal body fur is receptive to weight remapping, but not the arm "Shrouds". I was hoping they'd behave similar to the Poncho, but they don't.

Ack!Me_000_006.jpg

Ack!Me_320_003.jpg

Ack!Me_320_004.jpg

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Unfortunately, exporting to FBX out of Daz ends up adding EVERY morph and EVERY weight map from the base character, so sometimes "simple" hair items can balloon up to over 2Gb! Daz will write the file but Layout can't open it.
That's why I created Delete Vertex Maps. Somebody exported object from 3rd party app, which after importing to LW had hundreds/thousands vmaps, and wanted to batch delete them.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Oh THERE it is. Finally found it. Thought it odd that you didn't have one and couldn't find it in what I'd think the logical place to look, the VMap Manager. But, nope. It simply wasn't one of the chosen ones for the menu. I've now added it.

Top Bottom