• Dear NewTek ( now Vizrt) community,
    We are merging and updating our forum to join it with the Vizrt Forum. Here's what you need to know:
    All existing threads, posts, knowledge articles, and user accounts will be seamlessly migrated.
    Once the merge is completed, the old forums will no longer be accessible.
    We are making this move to unite our Vizrt and NewTek forums, creating a new, enhanced experience for our community members and technology users.
    We will notify you once the change has been made and the new forum is live.
    Thank you for your continued support in our growing community!

Making of: Cyclone patch

This posting relates to this thread.

I was interested in shaping a volumetric object with the help of a photo (that's why I was less concerned with volumetric shading).

Cyclon_016.jpg

A volumetric object (here in "cube" shape) forms the cloud cover.

MO_Cyclon_02.jpg

I cut out the shape of the cyclone with a texture map (image of a cyclone). To do this, simply plug the Luma output of the Image node into the Texture input of the HyperVoxel Primitive node. I use a gradient in between to remap the values to my taste.

MO_Cyclon_03.jpg

The height of the cloud cover was not yet correct.
A gradient with input Y Coordinate (height on the Y axes) clips the cloud in height. The output of the gradient is connected to Texture Density input.
The first key has the value 0. The second key (set to step) has the value 700 and its position defines the lower edge of the cloud cover. In this case you can choose the same key position value (= height) for the whole cloud. The third key (value 0, set to step) controls the height of the upper edge of the cloud cover. A texture map controls the position of the key of the upper limit of the cloud. That means the brighter the image the higher the cloud.

MO_Cyclon_04.jpg MO_Cyclon_06.jpg

I also used GardnerClouds from DP's Rman Collection to soften the height a bit.

MO_Cyclon_07.jpg

I added a volumetric object as an atmosphere.

MO_Cyclon_08.jpg

Finally some tone mapping in a compositing or photo editing software.

MO_Cyclon_09.jpg

Of course, you can also use Lightwave's tone mapping for this.

MO_Cyclon_10.jpg

Here is the complete node setup.

Cloud_height_nodes_01.jpg

I think that's an interesting starting point.
ciao
Thomas

As always, lovely tutorial.
Just a little nitpicking ;) You probably don't need Invert node in your nodal tree - I think you can get the same result by pressing "Invert Values" button.

As always, lovely tutorial.
Just a little nitpicking ;) You probably don't need Invert node in your nodal tree - I think you can get the same result by pressing "Invert Values" button.
Thank you!
You're right, the invert node is a leftover from some older quick and dirty tweaking.

ciao
Thomas

Back
Top Bottom