MacOS NDI Virtual Input auto-start and connect?

egradman

Hi, I'm on a Mac, using NDI Virtual Input with QLab and it works very well.

I'm trying to automate the startup of this complex AV installation. I need NDI Virtual Input to start at boot, wait for my source to appear, and connect to that source. Normally, I'd use Applescript for this (and my Applescript is decent) but so far NDI Virtual Input is defying me.

It seems to be not enough to use System Events to click the appropriate menu items. On startup, Virtual Input writes "No Sources Available" in the "Sources" Menu. "No problem," I think "I'll just wait in a loop until the sources become available." But the sources seem not to update until I physically move my mouse over the menu bar. At that point, NDI Virtual Input updates the list and the script completes.

Applescript seemed like the way to go, but I would be happy with absolutely any alternate solution to the startup problem.

Thanks!

Attachments

• script.txt
    674 bytes · Views: 111

Aegiscomm

I'm experiencing the same issues. NDI Virtual Input used to recall the last used setting if you assign the source then exit the app once prior to reboot. The new version 3.0 seems to have lost this functionality. I'm going to try rolling back to the previous version (if I can find it). If I have any luck I'll let you know. Incidentally, I have brought this up in two other discussions if you can to bookmark them.

Last edited:

lummy

Seems we're trying to do the same thing. I've found that you can get the mac automator script to pick the source input. I didn't have much luck picking source from the NDI menu on the right tho. To get around this, I put NDI input on the dock, click on it to bring up it's menu, then choose source from that menu.
My biggest issue is that I am also running zoom rooms. Sometimes zoom rooms will start first and the automator while break

Aegiscomm

Seems we're trying to do the same thing. I've found that you can get the mac automator script to pick the source input. I didn't have much luck picking source from the NDI menu on the right tho. To get around this, I put NDI input on the dock, click on it to bring up it's menu, then choose source from that menu.
My biggest issue is that I am also running zoom rooms. Sometimes zoom rooms will start first and the automator while break
I am also running zoom rooms. You can't remove it from startup items either as zoom rooms puts itself back into startup. I'm working on an AppleScript to hopefully get around the limitations. Of course the best way to do this would be to have Virtual Input remember its setting :)

lummy

I am also running zoom rooms. You can't remove it from startup items either as zoom rooms puts itself back into startup. I'm working on an AppleScript to hopefully get around the limitations. Of course the best way to do this would be to have Virtual Input remember its setting :)
Agreed. Life would be much simpler if virtual input just knew. Heck, I'd settle for command line arguments to set the input!!!

thumbsup

We also need to be able to save the default video device for the Virtual Input (Zoom Rooms running on Windows). We are looking to roll out dozens of Zoom Rooms with NDI cameras, and this is the only wrinkle in the reboot scenario.

Top Bottom