• Dear NewTek ( now Vizrt) community,
    We are merging and updating our forum to join it with the Vizrt Forum. Here's what you need to know:
    All existing threads, posts, knowledge articles, and user accounts will be seamlessly migrated.
    Once the merge is completed, the old forums will no longer be accessible.
    We are making this move to unite our Vizrt and NewTek forums, creating a new, enhanced experience for our community members and technology users.
    We will notify you once the change has been made and the new forum is live.
    Thank you for your continued support in our growing community!

LW doesn´t start anymore since the latest Win 10 update

Sorry, I can´t really help directly here. But if you are willing to go through all the trouble:
Go back to the point where everything you need was running fine. Maybe you already have a restore point from that time that might save you the hassle of doing a fresh install of your system. In case you have one try if everything is still fine once you revert the system to that point.
Then after every single installation of either Windows updates, device drivers and Applictaions or utilities create a new Restore Point - ideally name it accordingly - and try again if all is still functioning.

Maybe you find out that way at what installation step the system gets screwed up and narrow it down that way...

More detail:

At some point, LW didn´t start anymore. But no crash or anything, it just shows up in Task Manager for a second and immediately closes without any notice.

I then wanted to install the VC_redist.x64.14.13.exe which gave me this error:
View attachment 148563

In the Apps-window there was a redistributable 2015-2019 which I deleted. Now I could successfully install the above file, but now get this error about the missing DLL:
View attachment 148562

I´m stuck here.

Make sure you install BOTH X86 and X64 versions of the 2015-2019 redistributable.

Just installed V2020.03. still doesn´t work with Windows.
On Mac OS X Big Sur on M1 all ist working well.

I click on "Ja" (Yes), but can´t find a crash report anywhere.
In this thread, I showed on video, how to get details about crash in newer versions of Windows:

I then wanted to install the VC_redist.x64.14.13.exe which gave me this error:
Search net for "0x80070666", and there will be discussion about this issue.

Meantime, you can use VirtualBox (emulator of the computer) with LW.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to just reinstall windows after living with this problem for 11 months? Installing Windows on a second disk or partition could help as well.

Last edited:
Don't you think it would be a good idea to just reinstall windows after living with this problem for 11 months? Installing Windows on a second disk or partition could help as well.
Already did reinstall windows two times and it didn´t help. As it is a productive system in a domain, I can´t simply reinstall all the time. There are three workstations with the same specs, where it runs.
Currently I´m in home office, where I prefer to use the Mac anyway, so I didn´t touch the windows machine for a while. But when I return to my production office, I need to use it again.

Already did reinstall windows two times and it didn´t help. As it is a productive system in a domain, I can´t simply reinstall all the time. There are three workstations with the same specs, where it runs.
Currently I´m in home office, where I prefer to use the Mac anyway, so I didn´t touch the windows machine for a while. But when I return to my production office, I need to use it again.
Actually, if I read your previous posts right, you did a re-install of Windows and Lightwave started working again. Then you later installed something else & Lightwave stopped working again. So, reinstalling did help... at least, for a while.

In this thread, I noted that you're running Win 10 version 2004. Is that still the case? That version had a lot of problems with buggy updates. If you can, try version 20H2 or 21H1. Those versions are having much less problems with buggy/broken updates... so far.

Also, you say the workstations are on a domain. Is that domain managed by you or an IT team in the company? If IT team, do they allow you to have full admin access to the workstations? If yes, well, heh heh: they have miserable jobs. If not, you might discuss your issues with the team. They may be employing some domain admin practices that can impact user initiated software installations on workstations.

I have seen setups in organizations where the Win IT folks employ centralized configuration control software that scans all workstations and makes sure workstation configs matche their defined domain workstation template. If a user installs software that - in turn - installs something (like a Visual C++ runtime) in C:\Windows on a workstation, the IT team's configuration control software will see the change and remove it - if that's what their software is setup to do.

Similar deal for updates, if the IT team normally handles pushing all updates out to workstations via some central automated process. Based on how awful & buggy many Win 10 updates have been, automated updates pushed to workstations can create some real messes over time - due to cumulative update failures & bugs.

Tip: Install a fresh Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 (64 bit) on the workstation. Make sure it has all the latest updates. Don't install Lightwave until you have installed absolutely all the other apps you need to install on the workstation. Test all those apps to make sure they work (if your IT team does domain config management, test again in 24hrs). Now install Lightwave. Test. If it works, do a system backup (I image drives via Macrium Free) AND a restore point.

If Lightwave later stops working, figure out what changed on the system to break Lightwave. If you're still running 21H1, then restore the restore point. If you're on a newer Win 10 version then restore the most recent system backup that was done before Lightwave stopped working. Then make sure whatever broke Lightwave doesn't happen again. A tool like wumgr is useful for getting better control of updates.

Last edited:
Actually, if I read your previous posts right, you did a re-install of Windows and Lightwave started working again. Then you later installed something else & Lightwave stopped working again. So, reinstalling did help... at least, for a while.

In this thread, I noted that you're running Win 10 version 2004. Is that still the case? That version had a lot of problems with buggy updates. If you can, try version 20H2 or 21H1. Those versions are having much less problems with buggy/broken updates... so far.

Also, you say the workstations are on a domain. Is that domain managed by you or an IT team in the company? If IT team, do they allow you to have full admin access to the workstations? If yes, well, heh heh: they have miserable jobs. If not, you might discuss your issues with the team. They may be employing some domain admin practices that can impact user initiated software installations on workstations.

I have seen setups in organizations where the Win IT folks employ centralized configuration control software that scans all workstations and makes sure workstation configs matche their defined domain workstation template. If a user installs software that - in turn - installs something (like a Visual C++ runtime) in C:\Windows on a workstation, the IT team's configuration control software will see the change and remove it - if that's what their software is setup to do.

Similar deal for updates, if the IT team normally handles pushing all updates out to workstations via some central automated process. Based on how awful & buggy many Win 10 updates have been, automated updates pushed to workstations can create some real messes over time - due to cumulative update failures & bugs.

Tip: Install a fresh Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 (64 bit) on the workstation. Make sure it has all the latest updates. Don't install Lightwave until you have installed absolutely all the other apps you need to install on the workstation. Test all those apps to make sure they work (if your IT team does domain config management, test again in 24hrs). Now install Lightwave. Test. If it works, do a system backup (I image drives via Macrium Free) AND a restore point.

If Lightwave later stops working, figure out what changed on the system to break Lightwave. If you're still running 21H1, then restore the restore point. If you're on a newer Win 10 version then restore the most recent system backup that was done before Lightwave stopped working. Then make sure whatever broke Lightwave doesn't happen again. A tool like wumgr is useful for getting better control of updates.
He should do all this stuff on virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox) to check everything carefully without having to damage/modify the real drive..

Digging out this post, because I had to install new machines with W11 and for the sake of just figuring it out, also installed Lightwave.

Worked, until I installed Digistar 6 (proprietary). But then, I reinstalled LW WITHOUT the Python extensions (unchecked in the LW installer) and Boom - it works.

Tried the same on W10 (with Digistar 6 installed) and: Boom!

As I don't use any Plug-In that relies on that Python stuff, I just leave it.

So, for me, this problem is solved. Many thanks to all here, who helped with their supportive comments.

Remark for Digistar users: If you're already on D7, this is not an issue at all and LW will work as is.

Let's see what happens with the LW update later this year. :)

Back
Top Bottom