• Dear NewTek ( now Vizrt) community,
    We are merging and updating our forum to join it with the Vizrt Forum. Here's what you need to know:
    All existing threads, posts, knowledge articles, and user accounts will be seamlessly migrated.
    Once the merge is completed, the old forums will no longer be accessible.
    We are making this move to unite our Vizrt and NewTek forums, creating a new, enhanced experience for our community members and technology users.
    We will notify you once the change has been made and the new forum is live.
    Thank you for your continued support in our growing community!

LW doesn´t start anymore since the latest Win 10 update

skr

Last week there was an big Windows update which installed automatically on my Workstation.

Since then, LW 2020 doesn´t start anymore. I´ve installed 2020.02, but no success. It shows up in the Task Manager (no program windows appears at all, also no splash screen), but after a few minutes it says, that it crashed due to an critical error. No more hints, no more error numbers. The same is true for all other workstations in my office, where I installed LW just to learn, if the bug is on my machine only.
At least, on my MacBookPro with Catalina it still runs fine.

What to do to get it working again?

The machine specs:

2x Intel Xeon [email protected]
64GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro (latest version)
Sophos Antivirus (Domain controlled)
Nvidia RTX2080

The first thing people do after any issue, is to remove config files.
They are in C:\Users\[user name]\.NewTek\LightWave

Try disabling hub in command-line, and run independently Layout and Modeler to see which one is working eventually.

Last edited:
Then email Bill Gates and tell him to sort their sh#t out with updates.
Any update should be optional.

Then email Bill Gates and tell him to sort their sh#t out with updates.
Any update should be optional.

Whilst I agree that there should be more control over Win 10 installation, however its not MS job to make LW or any other software work with their OS.

If they do something that borks some third party software then it's up to the software developer to contact MS and try and fix it.

Sorry Markc, probably the most useless comment you will get on this thread.

I also have issues which may or may not be related to Windows 10. I can't get the file requester to display properly when i try to load an object, works fine in layout but not modeler, this fact alone makes me wonder if it is really Win 10 or LW. No one else has reported similar and as we know Layout and Modeler are essentially two different programs.

Im also for some reason get random crashes on exit with modeler, never had it before but LW 2020 for me seems to have it. Its hard to reproduce because it can happen if i have had something loaded but also if i had nothing loaded.

Add to the ongoing problem with the hub randomly working and then not.

I am also on the latest version of Win 10 Pro.

Still having issues, tried all that was said:

Starting without hub - no success
Delete configs - no success
Deinstall LW completely, reboot machine, make fresh install of LW 2020.02 - no success

When I start Layout.exe, it shows up in TaskManager for a fraction of a second, then I get this error message and Layout.exe disappears in TaskManager again:

layout202002_crash.JPG

I click on "Ja" (Yes), but can´t find a crash report anywhere.

When I start Modeler.exe, it shows up in TaskManager for a fraction of a second and immediately disappears. Nothing more happens.

Out of curiosity I´ve installed it on two other machines, which nearly have the same base specs (One has a GTX1080, the other two are on RTX2080). The same error everywhere.

Then I´ve installed it on another machine, which is from a different vendor and runs two 1080s: No problem. LW runs just as fine as on my Mac.

The vendor of our machine is looking into the problem, too, but didn´t get any hint yet.

As I also got feedback from P.T. (German Lightwaver) that he also is running on Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates, it´s hard to blame Win. But on the other hand, everything was fine, no software has changed, but after the "big" Windows update last week LW stopped working on those three machines.

If I would get a crash report somewhere, we would have a starting point for bug hunting, but we get nothing.

What build number are you on now? You can check by right-clicking on the Windows start icon and choosing System

ApplicationFrameHost_2020-08-12_19-22-11.png

B

For me BeeVee

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
Version 2004
Installed 05/08/2020
OS Build 20185.1000

Having said that i had my problems before even updating to the latest version, in fact i updated in the hope it might clear up my problem.

Right, I installed 2004. I've successfully run Layout (and rendered an image). I've switched to Modeler and fiddled with a model, no problem. I'm using GeForce Studio Drivers 451.77.

B

Last edited:
Hi BeeVee,

I do not have the problems that skr seems to be having. My only problem is modeler crashing on exit quite a bit and file manager not seeming to work. No problems rendering and such. My problem is more a PITA than anything else.

Hallo skr,

Können Sie einen älteren Grafikkartentreiber installieren? Please step back a version or two and try again, and let me know what happens. You can get older versions if you go to the advanced driver search link on the NVidia driver page.

B

I´ve installed old graphics card drivers, but that doesn´t change anything.
Also tried to reinstall/repair the distributables on the LW folder, but that also doesn´t change anything.

I´m totally out of ideas now.

I know it might not seem as the most elegant way to solve your problem. But have you already tried to get back to an earlier restore point of Win10?
I had similar problems mid of last year that also hindered Fusion Studio to start as well as LW - It seemed that something that came with the newer build probably the firewall routines (BMD support and I narrowed it down to this) that somehow screwed with the licensing of both programs.
I went back to an earlier build and have had no such problems since then. I skipped a few builds until recently. The regular security updates were installed fine in spite of my older build. Now am running build 1909 wich works fine so far.

I tried to step back, but somehow I´m still on Win 10 Version 2004. Will try again, not an easy task for a Mac guy. ;)

Take fresh new SSD 120 GB or so and install fresh new OS.
I don't recommend Win10 ;)
You can get any OS ISO using Media Creation Tool.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Media+Creation+Tool
Especially if you will do it on 3rd party OS.
It will download ISO instead of instant installation of stuff (so you will still have no ISO).
ps. Backup ISO of any Windows, just in case..
Will be easier to go back..

I was fed up with this, did a backUp of my data and made a fresh install of Win10 from the cloud.

Now I have a quite clean computer and LW is running fine.

Problem not identified, but solved.

Aaaand, I wrecked it again.

All was fine, but after installing Digistar 6 (which never caused trouble with Lightwave) and Visual Studio 2019 (used 2017 before) it doesn´t start anymore, but no crash warning, too.

So I´ve uninstalled the VC++ Runtime Distributables 2015-2019 (X64) and since then get the same error when opening Layout.exe and Modeler.exe which says VCRUNTIME140_1.dll could not be found. Installing the distributables from the LW folder doesn´t help, too.
Don´t want to just grab that DLL somewhere from the web, so what is it and where I do get it?

vc++2017.PNGvcruntime.PNG

Last edited:
More detail:

At some point, LW didn´t start anymore. But no crash or anything, it just shows up in Task Manager for a second and immediately closes without any notice.

I then wanted to install the VC_redist.x64.14.13.exe which gave me this error:
vc++2017.PNG

In the Apps-window there was a redistributable 2015-2019 which I deleted. Now I could successfully install the above file, but now get this error about the missing DLL:
vcruntime.PNG

I´m stuck here.

Back
Top Bottom