LW crashes when resizing quad view windows?

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Yeah I have realtek drivers on Asus board...probably have armoury crate...I'll check when I get a chance.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Yeah, its random..doesnt do it every time either..and its independent of how much geometry is there (it will do it on an empty model).

Yeah, I wouldnt hold my breath...ive been reporting it for years, and theres been no movement.

I imagine its probably due to some rather ancient coding...or gremlins..lol

What are the details for the appcrash?

If it's a memory corruption heisenbug, you'll see lots of false positive 'makes it go away' triggers that don't really do anything of the sort long-term. All those are doing is changing the memory arrangement and moving the "pt of corruption" to another location (versus the current location where it triggers the crash). That in no way means it won't cause a crash any more, instead users no longer know when & where it will crash or cause other problems. That's not an improvement -- net result is worse, not better.

Too many among LW customers* believe finding a workaround that temporarily appears to "stop" a problem from occurring is somehow "as good as" finding the root cause of the problem and from there finding a workaround. The two paths are not equivalent, the former is actually worse than the latter. The latter qualifies and quantifies the bug, allowing actual impact of any workaround to be evaluated. The former leaves the current bug unqualified/unquantified, and in preventing it from occurring in one spot, is likely just causing it to manifest later elsewhere, likely with greater harm (greater systemic entropy).

*: I'm not saying that happened here, just pointing out it IS a recurrent theme in these forums.

Last edited:

zapper1998

Michael Nicholson
I posted that I was having the same Issues.

And after Disabling the Nahimic Service in the services, it looks like the Problem I was having using my
Multiple Monitors has gone away.
Also disabled the Armory Crate stuff also. sense it really is not needed.

Let me tinker for a few days to see if there are no more issues.

WOW

Thank You
Thank You

awesome fix

Mike

jwiede

Electron wrangler
I posted that I was having the same Issues.

Can you or someone please post the details of the crash that results?

Without an analysis of what is crashing, and why it crashes, you're likely making a bad situ ultimately worse by arbitrarily changing memory layout.

zapper1998

Michael Nicholson
Ok everything was "GREAT", after the Windows update, or when I did the Nvidia Driver update..

The Problem was back. So I went to the Services and low and behold that "Nahimic Service" was running again, and I did Disable it, then next day I deleted it.

So I, RE-DISABLED then darn thing, and its back to normal operation.

I have to save the world from those Hamsters that have a Super Space Base on the Dark Side of the Moon.

raymondtrace

Founding member
Something odd is happening to Marander's helpful advice in this topic (and most everywhere else in this forum). It's vanishing. I understand what is likely happening but it is still odd. For full context of this Nahimic service issue, check out this topic with a few more options for dealing with it. https://forums.newtek.com/threads/163864

There may be a more persistent resolution by exempting LightWave from its influence in the blacklist file, mentioned in post #5.

Something odd is happening to Marander's helpful advice in this topic (and most everywhere else in this forum). It's vanishing. I understand what is likely happening but it is still odd. For full context of this Nahimic service issue, check out this topic with a few more options for dealing with it. https://forums.newtek.com/threads/163864

There may be a more persistent resolution by exempting LightWave from its influence in the blacklist file, mentioned in post #5.
I checked out the thread you cited. Disabling the Nahimic service eliminates a number of Lightwave crashes that have been reported as Lightwave bugs. Interesting.

LW 2020 has a reputation as being quite buggy & hard to use reliably in a production setting. Is it really still that bad with Nahimic disabled?

I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on the LW 2020 upgrade because of the supposed abundance of nasty bugs. I'd be interested to know how 2020 now stacks up - with Nahimic disabled - on stability/bugs, compared to previous releases (like 2015, 2018 or 2019).

raymondtrace

Founding member
...LW 2020 has a reputation as being quite buggy & hard to use reliably in a production setting. Is it really still that bad with Nahimic disabled?...
That's the big question. I have not had any showstopping bugs since addressing the Nahimic service. I've tried to recreate some of the 2020 bugs reported by others but I've been unsuccessful at breaking my LightWave installation. It seems to be working fine for me now.

That is the problem with this Nahimic service incompatibility...its symptoms vary between systems.

In defense of LW, it should be recognized this is a universal problem with many other 3D apps. LW is not at fault. The problem has been reported with Substance Painter, Rhino and Houdini. Example: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/51389/

That's the big question. I have not had any showstopping bugs since addressing the Nahimic service. I've tried to recreate some of the 2020 bugs reported by others but I've been unsuccessful at breaking my LightWave installation. It seems to be working fine for me now.

That is the problem with this Nahimic service incompatibility...its symptoms vary between systems.

In defense of LW, it should be recognized this is a universal problem with many other 3D apps. LW is not at fault. The problem has been reported with Substance Painter, Rhino and Houdini. Example: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/51389/
I remember Nahimic being identified as a source of all sorts of problems that gamers were having on their gaming PCs. I think that was quite a while ago.

zapper1998

Michael Nicholson
Ok I added the
( Hub.exe, Layout.exe, Modeler.exe )

[ C:\ProgramData\A-Volute\A-Volute.28054DF1F58B4\Modules\ScheduledModules\Configurator ] is where I found it on my machine.

to the BlackApps.dat file, Re-Enabled the Nahimic service and seems to be no issues so far..

Sorry should have read a little more into it
The frustration thingy took over for awhile, after a break I did read the whole enchilada, and went ( face slap ) ok .

Thank you alot.

Top Bottom