LW 2020.0.1 Mac numeric input boxes problems?

ELinder

Is anyone else having odd things happen with the numeric input boxes? I'm intermittently getting things like highlight selection indicators not showing, flashing cursor not showing, numbers I type in to change existing numbers not actually changing? It's random and not always in the same boxes. I'm running an iMacPro, Radeon Pro Vega 64 video card with the latest High Sierra.

Erich

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Start from installing LW 2020.0, and later LW 2019.1.5 and olders, to see whether they also have issues. Remember about shutting down Hub prior running different LW version.

Modeler, Layout or both?

Last edited:

David_CGC

I first noticed it in 2019. I thought it was happening less often in 2020. It seems to be Layout-only, at least now.

The most annoying part for me would be when text boxes showed as active but weren't, so I'd tap in some numbers and my viewports would shift around because of the hotkeys. And no, I didn't file a bug, because it wasn't reproducible. I'll try to remember to make a screen recording if it starts happening again but, again, without being able to see what the input is, it just looks like I don't know what I'm doing.

Markc

ack ack
This has happened to me in 2018,2019,2020.
Seems to be ok when first open LW, but then after some time it starts.
But tbh have just learnt to live with it.
Maybe it's an AMD GPU thing.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
LW uses Qt library. So it might be related to Qt..
You might ask on Qt related forum for Mac for advise..

ELinder

OK, so at least I'm not the only one. It's happening mostly in modeler for me.

I'll try some QT forums to see if it's a problem in other programs too, thanks.

Erich

gerry_g

for me it seems LW specific, don't seem to notice it anywhere else, worst is when I have vpr running, can end up being totally impossible to adjust any field unless I quit vpr first, also doing searches in the node editors library index list, if any item in the list is highlighted it is impossible to type in the search field, I have to unselect all items in the list before I can type

aperezg

Its happen to me since LW 2018. I found that the problem is, the window appear active, but isn't like that. The solution that i found is to jump between the windows until stay in the window that I need active.

For me its a LW bug.

Its happen in modeller as in layout

Last edited:

ELinder

OK, can we have everyone please post their system info so I can file a bug report and point them to this thread? Since it's so random, the more info they have the better. Lightwave is also the only program I have that exhibits this behavior.

2017 iMacPro
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G5033)
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB

gerry_g

Its happen to me since LW 2018. I found that the problem is, the window appear active, but isn't like that

Yup window focus is back to front on the Mac, I have to click several times to get it to shift from foreground to background and vice versa, other apps don't give this grief, got my curser stuck on the timeline scrubber yesterday, in OGL, not even VPR running, devil of a job to free it up

aperezg

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
OS 10.13.6 (17G13033)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
OS 10.13.6 (17G12034)

Last edited:

ELinder

Since there's no definite steps to reproduce the problem, tech support has asked for screen capture video of what's going on. So if it happens, record it if possible and submit it as a new bug case (or reference mine :Case LWB-6140.

Erich

aperezg

Something I think may be the problem, the wacom tablet I use, if I work with the mouse, the problem disappears.

Even with the latest driver update

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Usage of tablet is very important factor which should be mentioned in the bug report..
Are you switching Input Method in options?

ELinder

I don't have a tablet, so at least in my case that's not the problem. I do have a Logitec Bluetooth mouse, but I've never had this problem in any other program.

Erich

jwiede

Electron wrangler
I'm reasonably sure this stems from how Newtek is setting up the LW UI / Qt input focus relationships. This isn't new, Mac LW's UI historically has had problems in the area of window and UI gadget input focus, long before Qt entered the picture -- that's why I suspect the problem's more on the app coding side than the Qt side.

ELinder

I've tried several times unsuccessfully to screen record this problem. However, every time I go the other program - in my case Quicktime - to start the screen recording, when I go back to Lightwave, the problem has disappeared and all is working properly again. Well, at least now I know what to do to reset the bug.

Erich

jwiede

Electron wrangler
I've tried several times unsuccessfully to screen record this problem. However, every time I go the other program - in my case Quicktime - to start the screen recording, when I go back to Lightwave, the problem has disappeared and all is working properly again. Well, at least now I know what to do to reset the bug.

You need to try and figure out the "trigger sequence" and then begin screen recording _before_ issuing the trigger sequence to make the problem appear. Switching away to another (gfx?) app then back to LW likely forces LW back to a "input-chain-valid" state, so you need to capture the issue without switching away until after you've captured it.

Top Bottom