LScript "Wish List"

evenflcw

Code Muppet
Ah, hehe, I thought it was somekind of convenient syntax. That array[+1] would point to the next element to what was previously referenced :)

Yes, very sad to not have any NT/otherwise official input on this. Personally I'm more concerned with the sdk these days... specifically if it is being overhauled along with LWs core.

habañero

I have a few that could or could not have been mentioned a few times before;

* Selection mode. What is LW´s state, I wonder? Workaround broken with the new edgemode that we can´t access.

* Selection manipulation -- contract, expand, etc. We want all of these.

* Bug fixes of error() and the like.

* Drawing in the viewports, and what else would help make tools interactive -- Bob was working on this when he left, I read on the list ...

* Small upgrades to the LSID would make it tremendously more effective -- copy and paste, remember groups you set up, maybe even rulers or snapping ... and better C output i heard.

* It would be sweet if it was possible to use editbegin without building(?) the point and poly arrays -- at least it seems this creates overhead in large scenes.

* Much of the challenge in learning Lscript lies obviously in the state of the documentation -- simply offering clear advice on the developer pages about joining the LScript list as soon as possible and downloading the archives into say, Thunderbird that parses those nicely and will let you search ... It would have saved me like 20 hours of work when starting to learn Lscript.

Lamont

Player 1
I just wrote my first major LScript and I have to say that LSED is unstable as all heck.

Also, I would like a FUNCTIONING example of every element like in the Mel Script documentation. I can only bother Dogey so long before he starts to ignore me.

I second drawing in the viewports, some of my ideas would work perfect if that was available.

NanoGator

Lamont said:
I just wrote my first major LScript and I have to say that LSED is unstable as all heck.

Yep, I encountered this, too. I lost a day's work when it crashed during save. Yikes.

evenflcw

Code Muppet
Yes, quite unstable. For me it usually crashes when doing multiple undo. But I still keep using it. Not exactly sure why. I obviously like somwthing about it and would really like it fixed. Never lost more than maybe a couple of minutes work since I'm aware of the issues. But something as simple as a text editor should never crash.

habañero

It is highly unsafe to use LSED if you don't save incrementally eg. never to the same file. I had it zero a file in a crash!

Just to make it clear: I hit save, poof LSED is no more, I try to open said file again and it doesn't just lack the latest changes, it is completely empty. I don't know alot about programming but my general impression is that a ****up like this means the code is in very sorry state.

Lamont

Player 1
I like conTEXT. I only wish I found it before I spent the $30-ish on another app when I was doing Mels.

i used to come from PFE then switched to SciTe. i use Bloodshed DevC also for C work and i've come to like it, especially its ability to list and jump to functions. in large code this is super handy. but i like SciTe for its autotabbing behaviors - similar to PFE. highlighting isnt a big thing for me, though. :)

Dodgy

Worms no more! Free fun!
The one thjing missing from context for me is function rolling up, that would make it a lot easier for me to navigate my lscripts :) Does SciTe have that?

jeremyhardin

That's when I started using Scite actually. (when I started using fusion).

I use Smultron on Mac. It's primarily an html coder, but it does a bit of syntax highlighting, autotabbing, etc. I started using it back when web pages were the bread and butter. Now I use it to Lscript.

habañero

Gotta love Scites simplicity and the abbreviation, I have a system where I use my macbook pro keyboard tool, input remapper. It adds a star and hits the abbreviation keystroke in one go, and so I can insert abbreviations without expanding all instances on the line. Which is handy if you want to use short abbreviations.

so I have

fq* = for(q = 1 etc
eb* = editbegin();

I heard good things though about textmate for mac though, anyone try it?

http://macromates.com/

habenero: have you tried autohotkey's "hotstrings" feature? you can use abbreviations not only in a single editor but can be "system-wide". i use hotstrings to quickly navigate through directories from any part of windows. i may switch between as many as four projects at one given day so being able to close in on the sourceimages/references folder, for example, of any given project saves me so much time.

about scite: yeah, the rollups are a nice feature, but not as cool as DevC's "function list". i wish a code editor would combine these two features. sadly, DevC does not have rollups (afaik). another big problem with scite is that is difficult for me to redefine / create properties for a particular file type. it's rather cryptic: it's not as if i had something else to debug. :)

Top Bottom