Lightwave Unity pipe line

probably best to do everything in Unity.
that said, shouldn't be impossible to write a .lws to unity that includes instances.
afaik - .lws files are very friendly that way.

View attachment 150839
I will ask developer of LWO Importer it is possible to import Instances from LW.
Actually LWO importer has two plugins: LWO and LWS Importer. I do not use at all LWS Importer....because in my case has no sense.

Last edited:

RPSchmidt

- Having two GPU cards (each one 16 Giga) extend you Vram memory to....16 Giga , for sure you know this, Vram is not scalable but maybe in your Proffesional GPU card is possible.
- Having 2xTitan RTX (4608 cores each one) give you total: 9216 CUDA , for sure this you know
- Having Ampere 3090 you get 10,496 CUDA cores + 24 Giga Vram in one card + new generation Architecture Ampere (GA102) + 350 Watt only consumption + really hardware beast - this Ampere 3090 is simply crazy monster!

OFF

pass:sword
Instances are a very important tool - for example, now I am working on visualizing the interior of a restaurant, in which there are many tables, armchairs, dishes, vases with flowers on the tables, there are a lot of complex lamps under the ceiling, etc. In the form of Physical Geometry, all this will weigh over 100 million polygons, which will lead to great difficulties when manipulating in the scene. If the LW scene export plugin had the built-in ability to convert LW instances to Unity instances, it would be very, very useful.

RPSchmidt

RPSchmidt

- Having two GPU cards (each one 16 Giga) extend you Vram memory to....16 Giga , for sure you know this, Vram is not scalable but maybe in your Proffesional GPU card is possible.
- Having 2xTitan RTX (4608 cores each one) give you total: 9216 CUDA , for sure this you know
- Having Ampere 3090 you get 10,496 CUDA cores + 24 Giga Vram in one card + new generation Architecture Ampere (GA102) + 350 Watt only consumption + really hardware beast - this Ampere 3090 is simply crazy monster!
The NVLink combines the Vram; it's not the same as standard SLI.

Here's an excerpt from the NVlink spec from nvidia for the Quadro RTX 6000 with 24gb of Vram (if you didn't see the link to the multi-GPU scalability in my previous post).

multi_gpu_scalability.JPG

It really does exactly what it says; it combines the total amount of Vram available to any application that uses the GPU ;)

The Quadro RTX cards (4000 through 8000), the Titan RTX cards and the RTX 3090 Ampere cards all have NVLink capability.

Actually, the RTX 3090 has the third generation NVLink available, which has transfer speeds of 600 gb/s!

Certainly, the 3090 IS a beast... it just wasn't available when I was building my system (as in, it didn't exist then).

I chose the Titan RTX cards because at that time, they were more reasonably priced than their Quadro brethren and they had the advantage of NVLink, which meant gobs of Vram for GPU applications.

I guess I should edit my sig, since it says SLI when really it's NVLink.

Instances are a very important tool - for example, now I am working on visualizing the interior of a restaurant, in which there are many tables, armchairs, dishes, vases with flowers on the tables, there are a lot of complex lamps under the ceiling, etc. In the form of Physical Geometry, all this will weigh over 100 million polygons, which will lead to great difficulties when manipulating in the scene. If the LW scene export plugin had the built-in ability to convert LW instances to Unity instances, it would be very, very useful.
Like I said before there is GPU Instancer as commercial plugin but is not supported in DXR system (I mean you can use it because works in DXR but you do not get shadows from DXR physical lights. This plugin can handle anything: massive amounts of objects - tested it it here on my Ampere. (watch YouTube video).
Unreal has nanite engine, which by the way is nothing extraordinaire - simply marketing mambo jambo :D. This feature is available from Nvidia SDK since 2 years and probably will be implemented in Unity. I do not see it yet on the list:

chunderburger

I will ask developer of LWO Importer it is possible to import Instances from LW.
Actually LWO importer has two plugins: LWO and LWS Importer. I do not use at all LWS Importer....because in my case has no sense.
if you do, perhaps see if dp instance can be supported too as that instances instances like unitys nested prefabs

Before when you watch:
- I use MSI Afterburner to reduce power of Ampere (no need full power and overheat - loosing nothing in speed of fps and practically is no big differences between 100% and 80% but temperature is very low and practically total silence from fan system)
- For normal production (preview FullHD) I use One Bounce Light + HQ setings + SSAA
- For final production (4k) I use Two Bounce Lights + HQ settings + standard Unity AA (no need ultra quality AA for 4K+ resolution)
- you can notice differences in GI quality between 1 and 2 bounce lights (is huge) at 3:15 min.
Video done in 4K:

raymondtrace

Founding member
It is the same version. You just need to make sure you don't do anything spectacular that earns you more than $100k in a year.

Unreal Engine licensing is less restrictive. As long as you're not making an interactive product (game) and using UE just for rendering, you can use it freely, without revenue limitations.

Last edited:

Tim Parsons

It is the same version. You just need to make sure you don't do anything spectacular that earns you more than $100k in a year.

Unreal Engine licensing is less restrictive. As long as you're not making an interactive product (game) and using UE just for rendering, you can use it freely, without profit limitations.

Not to get into a big Unreal vs. Unity debate (because for me I've already been able to accomplish more in an hour than I ever did with weeks of Unreal :)) but what if working for a multimillion dollar company and we just want to make animations to put on YouTube? Does that require the paid versions?

Last edited:

nope. could be a trillion million dollar company, doesn't matter.
it is your (your company's) income during a year that counts.

raymondtrace

Founding member
...but what if working for a multimillion dollar company and we just want to make animations to put on YouTube? Does that require the paid versions?
Yes, that requires the paid version if the animations you put on YouTube are commercial in nature (for example, marketing of your company's products).

If you work for a multimillion dollar company you are most certainly generating gross revenue in excess of 100k USD. Recognize that the Unity license cites "gross revenue", not "net profit". This is a very, very low bar...intended to help out the lone designer/developer get going before they advance to a level that requires a paid license. You can hit your head on that limit if you're running a home business with a partner and you're both making an annual salary of 50k USD each.

Tim Parsons

Yes, that requires the paid version if the animations you put on YouTube are commercial in nature (for example, marketing of your company's products).

If you work for a multimillion dollar company you are most certainly generating gross revenue in excess of 100k USD. Recognize that the Unity license cites "gross revenue", not "net profit". This is a very, very low bar...intended to help out the lone designer/developer get going before they advance to a level that requires a paid license. You can hit your head on that limit if you're running a home business with a partner and you're both making an annual salary of 50k USD each.
Yep - that's why I'll learn it on my own and see if it would be of use before shelling out $1800.

Top Bottom