LightWave open VDB Gas Solver based Environment Example.

prometheus

REBORN
Blender 2.79 smoke fluid to Lightwave and meshing ..it works.

As I suspected, and what I needed to solve the issue of mantaflow not coping well, and 2.9 blender can only mesh a fluid smoke volume from mantaflow.
As I mentioned before, I feel the old smoke system is more predictable as every change I do in wind or location of fluid emitter, it will automaticly update unlike mantaflow, and it´s also faster to simulate than mantaflow in my opinion.
So there was a problem if I wanted to fiddle with these techniques of meshing a smoke volume.

but Lightwave to the rescue here actually, and one of those cases where it fits in to the 1001 ways of using blender and Lightwave together.
On one hand you have the mantaflow issues in blender, and on the other hand you have the slow gas solver with horrible tick display and lack of true wind effector forces.
So that means a workflow of using blender 2.79 for the smoke, save out the vdb cached files, just import in to a vdb setup as you do for smoke in Lightwave, in node editor just import the blender vdb smoke file and plug it in to a fog to level set, set an iso surface value, optional to set voxel size with other nodes, then just plug it in to a saver node, add a new null and use vdb evaluator, there may be other worfklows..which may work just as well, but it´s one way.

So sample images , I didn´t do anything right now for smoke, I just loaded some old basic blender 2,79 smoke setup for a couple of frames in to lightwave and converted to a mesh according to the above description.

so nevermind the resolution, I just wanted to see if the smoke from blender 2.79 would be converted to a mesh properly, and yes it does, so Unless you have TFD, I think I rather mess with blenders 2.79 smoke (not 2,9 mantaflow) and Not Lightwaves gas solver, to create stuff like this...at least up to a certain level of created forms.
There are indeed some nice powerful nodes and filters in Lightwave which isn´t implemented in blender as Rene have said, but depends on what you aim for here.

Increasing resolution you can do when converting, or use resample node in the vdb evaluator.

blender 2.79 smoke to Lightwave meshing.jpg

Last edited:

LightWaveGuru

LightWave OPEN VDB / GAS SOLVER BASED ENVIRONMENT WiP 03

in this version the generated gassolver has been opened so that you can see out of the canyon.
furthermore, the gas solver was used as a basis for instancing small green islands.
The music (teardrops and mud) for this test rendering was composed by myself and Anne Khan as vocalist.
all right reserved.

BTW

Thank you Anne for your wonderful voice. :)

snip LWGuru

prometheus

REBORN

Gas Solver based "Landscapes" mini tut for David Agüero and the LW Community​

snip LWGuru

Thanks for showcasing, But I do think you should look in to the resolution though, if it´s youtube conversion or your recording software settings or something, we can´t see what the nodes are presenting as values or other labels, even at 720 you should be able to get better compression, preferably record in 1080p
With obs studio you can record better resolution, it´s free.
Camstudio same there, camtasa studio..or record from nvdidia direct recording, though I find obs studio to be better for the quality.

I haven´t got many vids with narration either, but here´s a few of them so you can have fun at my swedish accent when you get bored:)
And check the volumetric feather clouds at 720 resolution...which is too low for the text to be read properly, and compare to the terrain displacement minitute at 1080 resolution and check the text in the lightwave panels..

It´s not with any intention to distract from your tutorial though, so I hope you are forgiving on that..

720 resolution..narrated with swedish accent though, but what can you and I do..we are born where we are :)

1080 resolution ..still not better in accent...

And those I think was recorded with nvidia built in game overlay recording, had I recorded them with OBS studio, they would be in better quality I think...at that time as was messing around with various options instead of camstudio & camtasa studio

LightWaveGuru

yes ok I take the next video in full hd on but the few nodes should be understood so.
if I show a real set up then there is also no use full hd more. LOL :) than i need 8k
haha...

here a example...

VDB_LEVEL_SET.jpg

as I said. such videos should inspire. but this is not a tutorial where people copy the parameters.
do it yourself is the better and deeper learning.

snip LWGuru

prometheus

REBORN
yes ok I take the next video in full hd on but the few nodes should be understood so.
if I show a real set up then there is also no use full hd more. LOL :) than i need 8k
haha...

here a example...

View attachment 149658

as I said. such videos should inspire. but this is not a tutorial where people copy the parameters.
do it yourself is the better and deeper learning.

snip LWGuru

Yes,,I myself don´t want to reveal everything in some cases, but what you reveal...should still be in good quality, if you find it´s better to do it yourself as learning philosoph..then there´s not much use of describing that way I would say, or if you show the nodes for some reason..make them reasonable showable and readable :)
But just my thoughts..do as you please of course, or think is the best.

But for your own sake..how can you read the nodal labels with those colors :eek: ?
I mean, the image is crisp in good quality..but still, oh well...you like odd colors here and there, and flashy ones..so why not.

LightWaveGuru

Yes,,I myself don´t want to reveal everything in some cases, but what you reveal...should still be in good quality, if you find it´s better to do it yourself as learning philosoph..then there´s not much use of describing that way I would say, or if you show the nodes for some reason..make them reasonable showable and readable :)
But just my thoughts..do as you please of course, or think is the best.

But for your own sake..how can you read the nodal labels with those colors :eek: ?
I mean, the image is crisp in good quality..but still, oh well...you like odd colors here and there, and flashy ones..so why not.

No I will not do that. The people should not copy my knowledge, which I have worked out myself, but you should learn it yourself. in this respect, it does not matter whether you can see or read everything. it is also not about any benefit. it is about making people understand that much more is possible than many believe because they do not play, play, play like me. learning means playing and playing means learning.

who doesn't understand this is wrong with 3d programs because he will never discover something new by himself. no 3d program can fix this. if people are too lazy to play and only want to USE then it won't work that way. before using comes learning. how do you learn best? by playing. and who has forgotten that should look at little children and how they learn.

little children don't watch tutorials!

they simply play according to the try and error principle. and i don't know any small children who play who then run to the adults and want to know all the details of the game. they experience the limits of the game themselves while playing. and that's how they learn. that's why watching tutorials is a waste of time. you only ever learn one way. someone else's way. whoever learns like that learns very little. so much for my philosophy ;).

so i don't want to be imitated because people take over my set ups and parameters because that's not learning thats only imitating.
this is often confused.

BTW

the colors are very easy to see when the ambient light is off. orange on dark gray is very pleasing to the eyes. ;)

snip LWGuru

prometheus

REBORN
No I will not do that. The people should not copy my knowledge, which I have worked out myself, but you should learn it yourself. in this respect, it does not matter whether you can see or read everything. it is also not about any benefit. it is about making people understand that much more is possible than many believe because they do not play, play, play like me. learning means playing and playing means learning.

who doesn't understand this is wrong with 3d programs because he will never discover something new by himself. no 3d program can fix this. if people are too lazy to play and only want to USE then it won't work that way. before using comes learning. how do you learn best? by playing. and who has forgotten that should look at little children and how they learn.

little children don't watch tutorials!

they simply play according to the try and error principle. and i don't know any small children who play who then run to the adults and want to know all the details of the game. they experience the limits of the game themselves while playing. and that's how they learn. that's why watching tutorials is a waste of time. you only ever learn one way. someone else's way. whoever learns like that learns very little. so much for my philosophy ;).

so i don't want to be imitated because people take over my set ups and parameters because that's not learning thats only imitating.
this is often confused.

BTW

the colors are very easy to see when the ambient light is off. orange on dark gray is very pleasing to the eyes. ;)

snip LWGuru

Yes, I agree to quite a bit of that perspective, and same here, been trying to Tease people to look in to various stuff and play and learn from themself.
But that said, Tutorials and having others show you how it´s done isn´t entirely a waste of time and without learning value, in fact it may help speed up learning and even things you would probably have to wrestle for a lifetime to learn.
So I do not agree on watching tutorials being waste of time.

So there is two sides of that I would say, but entirely individual and depending on what to learn and acheive.

Yes, orange on grey is one of my favourite color schemes as well, but there are always nuances and contrast, just grey and orange doesn´t tell how the lum, sat, hv values is best displayed, the actual node items background is very light bright grey and it differs from the darker grey you have for the overalll UI, which is by far more readable.
But whatever is pleasing in your eyes, that´s what matters.

Question, can´t recall if you have showcased..or tried to use the fluids to react within itself as two sediment layers inserting pressure on eachother and building up when colliding, guess you have in simpler form, but actually getting some interesting forms from that build up? so a little more than just splashes perhaps.

Keep the organing fluid growth coming.

By the way..if tutorials us useless waste of time, we wouldn´t have so many tutorials in the first place, we wouldn´t have shool or educational material, it would all be play and only to a certain level.
There is a reason we have various classes various learning levels, where we start to play and then go on to require more advanced training, so no..I definitely do not buy in to a strict no tutorial approach.
Bryphis tutorials would in such case be complete and utter waste for anyone, erikals etc....and that simply doesn´t cling as logical does it?

I recalled I tried to start some workshops, one with particle explosion blast using particles and hv´s quite some time ago..I provided the base scene setups for the particles and wanted people to join in and play and explore and try to push it forward, not a single person on this community joined in.
Lack of interest probably..and perhaps the technique used was dying and more and more went over to fluids.

Last edited:

Planeguy

This is great again. I liked your work on YT. I got to think about something. Could this technique be applied to a spherical shape, to represent micro detail of a planet as the camera gets to surface level coming from outer space? I think the surface of the example looks rather similar to the surface of Mars, so I'm thinking on those terms.

Also, if possible and doesn't mess up your nodes, how does this look using the standard LW render?

Appreciated

prometheus

REBORN
This is great again. I liked your work on YT. I got to think about something. Could this technique be applied to a spherical shape, to represent micro detail of a planet as the camera gets to surface level coming from outer space? I think the surface of the example looks rather similar to the surface of Mars, so I'm thinking on those terms.

Also, if possible and doesn't mess up your nodes, how does this look using the standard LW render?

Appreciated

can´t see why you would try this for that.
It´s a spherical shape and fluid siming shapes to that spherical shape is uncessary computing time, and to get it right.
Just slam on procedural fractures on to an item shape instead, with infinite detail.

Top Bottom