LightWave 3D® 2019 is Now Available - Official Discussion Thread

GraphXs

GraphX
Congrats LW Team! 2019 is a wonderful upgrade! Glad to be apart of it! Thanks for all the hard work! The Unreal Bridge is so freaking cool! Finally smoothing groups! WOOT!

BernieBn

Attention LW3DG Marketing: I found out about LW2019 on blenderartists.org an hour ago. Nothing today on Octane LW Forums, CGChannel.com, CGPRess.org, creativebloq.com... Didn't get an email from you...

Same here, but I found out through their Facebook page and NT forums first. I would have also liked an e-mail because I'd rely on that more for updates than going to my account page. But it's good they announced it on their own sites prior to industry news sites.

ernesttx

Playing around with 2019 is great. I do have one question: What is the secret to the new IKIF+ Rig? In modeler, I set it up just like other Genoma rigs, and put skelegons on 1st layer and save model. In Layout, load model, make sure I'm on first layer w/ skelegons, hit Create Rig, all goes through good. However, mesh is not deformed when moving controllers. I check and Enable Deform is on, Enable MC, etc. I can even select root and move and rotate model and mesh transforms. But, nothing moves w/ arms, legs, waist, etc. Is there something else to enable? Looks like a great rig otherwise. Thanks in advance.

OFF

pass:sword
Hehe, it was my request for VDB's own tools in LW - give me a discount for this! :king: ))

Reports.jpg

Question on denoiser - how can i choose which GPU and how many of them will work in denoiser?

BernieBn

Only checked the vdb tools presentation from oliver, great stuff in there, and a lot of what I have asked for.
Finally we now have a way to turn any mesh shape in to volumetrics, and also nice to see the advection node to distort the volume fully, scattering of particles on this also reminds me of secondary scattering shapes in houdini Cloudfx.

And the gas solver...what? a way of simulating fluid like stuff natively..though different technique and not a true fluid solution that reacts to obstacles, but interesting.

Native sky environment, Great...asked for that for some time.

Nodes..fixed AA, Finally the connections looks smoother and professional.

Have no time to try the new 2019 out for weeks though, the new tools (may) open up for much more designed clouds from my perspective.
Thanks to oliver for presenting it so well.

I haven't tried OpenVDB yet. But is this a better method for effects focused on having solid objects moving through particles or volumetric effects? For example if I wanted moving fog to disperse around a moving character, is this better?

Last edited:

Lito

It's kind of weird, I saw the other closed topic and thought "wait really?" I think this was the first time we didn't have a thread on this forum months in advanced of the impeding release where everyone was guessing "I bet it's coming out next week." :D

Congrats to the NT team on the release and releasing it before the guess the 2019 release date thread started. ;)

wingzeta

Wow! This is a big step for game production in LW. Basically the key features that were missing for game asset prep: better UV tools, smoothing groups, and what appears to be a, ready for prime-time, bridge to Unreal, not to mention the other new features. If this stuff works as advertised, a lot of Max and Maya renters may be able to become owners. These were "the" hangups that kept LW from being able to drop in to a lot of pipelines. All the new features look great. Some cool stuff I was not expecting. Looking forward to trying it out ASAP. Cheers LW3DG! Keep up the good work.

gdkeast

We are committed to LightWave for the long haul, so we are thinking and working toward developing and moving to a sustainable business model.

This is the most important thing to me and I'm very glad to know this. With LightWave approaching its 30th birthday next year, and so many great people involved in not only using the program but teaching it, it would be criminal to have it fade into obsolescence.

rustythe1

www.Digitawn.co.uk
pressed the request upgrade yesterday, STILL WAITING for email! TAKE MY MONEY many things apply to my current projects!

kolby

For whatever reason, the trial key generated by Newtek isn't being accepted by my install of LW2019 here. I've confirmed the license key value is in the LICENSE.LWK file in the proper location for LW2019.0.0 (~/Library/Application Support/NewTek/LightWave/2019.0/Licenses/LICENSE.LWK), and that it matches the downloaded LICENSE.LWK's license key value, but regardless of what I do, launching Layout just puts up the following dialog (and stays in Discovery Mode afterwards):

View attachment 143925

This is on platform per sig (running OSX 10.13.6), and no, I don't have my old LW dongle currently attached.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem on win7 here.

BeeVee

ex-LightWave documentation
Wow! This is a big step for game production in LW. Basically the key features that were missing for game asset prep: better UV tools, smoothing groups, and what appears to be a, ready for prime-time, bridge to Unreal, not to mention the other new features. If this stuff works as advertised, a lot of Max and Maya renters may be able to become owners. These were "the" hangups that kept LW from being able to drop in to a lot of pipelines. All the new features look great. Some cool stuff I was not expecting. Looking forward to trying it out ASAP. Cheers LW3DG! Keep up the good work.

Best of all, and I believe unique to LightWave(?), is the fact that multiple LightWave seats can connect to the same Unreal scene so more than one person can be adding LightWave content to Unreal :)

B

AnimeJoex

No unity material?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that came in the next major update. Maybe they had to focus their energy on getting the Unreal bridge stuff done first and making sure it was rock solid before trying to do the same with Unity. All speculation on my part. ;)

Skonk

Lightwave Pimp
@Chuck

I'm trying to request educational upgrade pricing; which directs me to a contact form.

On submitting the completed form it just throws a server error.

Any ideas?

Ta.

James.

NewTek is pleased to announce the release of LightWave 3D® 2019, a new edition of the production-proven graphics and animation package that refines the artist’s workflow to make creation of complex, photo-real animation and imagery faster and more efficient. Leading the list of improvements are the revolutionary new integration tools with Unreal Engine for real time data transfer to the world’s leading game engine. The system performs automatic discovery to make the workflow entirely seamless.

Another major advance for LightWave users is the new Metamorphic system, which brings multipurpose animatable mesh sculpting and painting to Layout. Fully multi-threaded for fast operation, Metamorphic includes a wide range of brush options and controls, multiple animation modes, nonlinear interpolation, motion blur support and much more.

Additional Highlights:
  • New UV mapping and UDIM tile mapping tools and capabilities in Modeler
  • Smoothing Groups in Modeler for fine-tuned control of contours in models
  • Limited Bones mode
    • Set the number of bones that affect a given point to match the target game engine
    • Real-time optimizations to better match the bone system performance expected in game engines
  • Interchange Bridge for interactive FBX interchange; support for more FBX attributes
  • Shading Model Customization Tools
  • New Shape Primitives and tools
  • OpenVDB creation tools
  • Shading and Rendering Enhancements
    • Edge Shader Node simulates beveled or rounded edges without geometry
    • Patina Node adds wear and dirt to surfaces to give your world that lived-in look
    • Procedural Shader Node wraps classic LightWave™ procedural textures for Node Editor
    • NVIDIA OptiX™ Denoising for still images (requires NVIDIA graphics card)
    • Despike can reduce or eliminate artifacts for a render that has “fireflies”
    • Scientifically-accurate Physical Sky shader and SunLight light type.
  • Workflow and UI:
    • Display Scaling Options for high-resolution monitors and multiple monitor setups
    • Expanded Layout Undo System
    • Popup Menus now support mouse wheel, navigation keys, search and more
    • Node Graph controls for grid size, snap to grid, grid brightness and color, Tidy Nodes
    • Online Documentation adapts to the screen format of any device
    • “Managed portal” licensing option for large facilities. Purchase by special arrangement.

Availability & Pricing
LightWave 3D 2019 for Windows and Mac OS is available now for USMSRP $995.

Registered owners of any previous version of LightWave 3D can upgrade to LightWave 2019 for US$395, through March 31, 2019.

LightWave owners who are eligible for special pricing under the terms of a previous purchase will need to contact LightWave Customer Services directly for their purchase arrangements.

International pricing may vary.

Educational pricing is also available. Visit www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave/ to purchase or to locate an authorized LightWave reseller.

New Features Page (with videos)

LightWave 3D 2019 Tutorials

fishhead

Frequenter
yep, here as well...
probably a good sign as apparently the whole world seems to wish to upgrade today and send money to NT ;-}

vncnt

This update is a surprise!

Would the "Display Scaling" feature enable the development of a future zoom/pan feature in the Camera viewport?
Or a "Zoom Limited Region" maybe?

Top Bottom