Lightwave 2020.02 render problem

genesis1

So to my annoyance after an overnight render, I discovered a render problem. I've not had this happen before. I have some uv textures mixed in the node environment they are uv textures. If I test out any frames with vpr they are fine. However if I render an f9 part of the mixed texture is missing. In the animation it flickers on and off sporadically.
I did a few f9 tests of frame 1 and it's inconsistent. Sometimes it renders fine, another time it's partly missing again. So I am unsure how to correct or whether it's another LW bug.
The image left is how the dirt texture should look. Image right with it missing.

Attachments

• IMG_20210413_113526.jpg
    IMG_20210413_113526.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210413_113822.jpg
    IMG_20210413_113822.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 43

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
Sounds like it might be two polygons occupying the same space. Try merging points or Unifying polygons to get rid of any duplicate polys.

genesis1

Merging points didn't cure it, but I tried selecting the part and unifying normals. So far it looks like it might have fixed it, but I won't know until I render several frames.

lardbros

Not so newbie member
One thing to note about 'unifying polys' is that if the surfaces are different, it won't unify them.
I've had this before with Turbosquid purchased models, where I knew there was lots of duplicate geometry, but getting rid of it was a pain. It took me a while to realise, but it wasn't unifying the polys because there were two identical looking surfaces on top of each other, but they were actually different materials. LightWave won't unify them unless they are the same material.

(Not that this is your problem, but if the flickering still persists, it can sometimes be worth making everything the same material to help troubleshoot the polygon unification)

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
One thing to note about 'unifying polys' is that if the surfaces are different, it won't unify them.
I've had this before with Turbosquid purchased models, where I knew there was lots of duplicate geometry, but getting rid of it was a pain. It took me a while to realise, but it wasn't unifying the polys because there were two identical looking surfaces on top of each other, but they were actually different materials. LightWave won't unify them unless they are the same material.

(Not that this is your problem, but if the flickering still persists, it can sometimes be worth making everything the same material to help troubleshoot the polygon unification)
One of the very unsung & little known features of LWCad's (2020) Join Tool, is that it has the option to deal with that very thing.

Top Bottom