Lightwave 2015 - Mac Installer Not Working in Big Sur MacOS

amused

I've been running Lightwave 2015 on a Windows laptop and wanted to install the Mac version on a new-to-me 2019 iMac running Big Sur. Reading the comments here about the installer and other issues with MacOS updates, am I right to assume that I won't be able to use Lightwave on my iMac?

pauland

LW Watcher
Last year I had a chat with Netwek tech support (remember when that existed?) and was told that there would be issues with running older versions of LW on newer versions of MacOS. At that time we were talking about Catalina.

The comment regarding 2015 and Catalina was.. "No, Apple broke everything with Mojave. LightWave 2018 was the first compatible ."

Markc

ack ack
Even if the installer worked, the interface will be garbled.
Missing icons on buttons etc.
This was a change by Apple (as Paul mentioned), which was fixed in LW2018+
I still have 2015 installed in Mojave, but it's guess work with the buttons.
LW2015 only works properly up to High Sierra.

amused

As a follow-up, this article from Apple support says I can add a partition to the existing drive and install a different MacOS there. Would this actually work to install Lightwave 2015 with a compatible MacOS?

Markc

ack ack
You cannot install an earlier version of MacOS, than what it originally came with (Mojave in your case).

amused

LW2015 only works properly up to High Sierra.

Marckc -

Thank you for being so helpful. When you say "up to High Sierra" does that mean INCLUDING High Sierra? Sorry to be picky about meanings, but you can see how it makes a difference.

And really, thank you for being helpful, I appreciate your time and effort.

amused

Yes, well, budget is a challenge at the moment, so...

I acquired Lightwave when it was bundled with Video Toaster in about 2003, I think. (That combo also came with Aura, which eventually evolved into Mirage, now known as TV Paint. I just recently discarded the Mirage USB dongle that came in a plastic sleeve filled with confetti.) I must have upgraded to the standalone Lightwave along the way, maybe around Lightwave 8? Then again in 2015. I'm a casual user with a very simple need, so I'd prefer to stay with 2015 for a while longer so my scenes and MotionMixer motions keep working. At this point, I think I'm better off keeping a Windows machine in addition to the iMac, especially since I also have Adobe Win CS5.5 that I can keep running without the subscription. TWO, count them TWO computers in ONE house! :LOL:

jwiede

Electron wrangler
iMac can dual boot to Windows. See Boot Camp.
Depends on how recent iMac (and OS): Win10 no longer works with BootCamp v5 drivers apparently, and BootCamp v6 imposes restrictions on Mac version usable, so it's getting a lot trickier Mojave-onwards. Might be worth looking into OpenCore as well (not just for Hackintoshes, also works on real Mac hardware and solves certain boot issues) -- esp. as UEFI-launched Win10 has some issues with BootCamp & certain Mac platforms now.

Last edited:
Having a similar problem. I'm still using Lightwave 9.6.1 (can't afford to upgrade right now) I just bought a refurbished 2011 iMac with High Sierra on it. Friggin stupid security settings won't let me run LW 9.6 because it is not from the "App Store and identified developers." More proprietary frackery courtesy of Apple. :) I think I'll see if my sweetheart still has the installer discs from her old 2011 iMac.

pauland

LW Watcher
Having a similar problem. I'm still using Lightwave 9.6.1 (can't afford to upgrade right now) I just bought a refurbished 2011 iMac with High Sierra on it. Friggin stupid security settings won't let me run LW 9.6 because it is not from the "App Store and identified developers." More proprietary frackery courtesy of Apple. :) I think I'll see if my sweetheart still has the installer discs from her old 2011 iMac
I had Mac 9.6.1 running on Sierra. It had some problems with text and I eventually ran it with parallels and Windows 7. No issues about the developer on Sierra and I'm really surprised you had anything like that on High Sierra. I'm sure I had 9.6 running on High Sierra

I had Mac 9.6.1 running on Sierra. It had some problems with text and I eventually ran it with parallels and Windows 7. No issues about the developer on Sierra and I'm really surprised you had anything like that on High Sierra. I'm sure I had 9.6 running on High Sierra
Had to do an OS install in rescue mode and revert back to Lion. Did the trick.

Markc

ack ack
You should be able to select the installer in Security settings after it says not from App Store, in HS.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Certainly, 9.6.1UB LW should definitely work in HS (10.13), and I just tested and reconfirmed mine does.

Right click on the app icon, and select "open" from that menu, don't double-click it. IF you choose "Open" it should give you an option to launch regardless of security (unless you have your machine set to "App Store Only", IIRC).

Top Bottom