Lightsabers in Aura 2.5

songweaver

I have seen tutorials abounding for lightsabers in Adobe After Effects and others. But have not seen one for Aura. I would also like to know how to do laser blasts and teleporting effects that are capable in After Effects. Are these possible in Aura and if so can I be pointed to some tutorials?

Thanks!

:)

billmi

Paintball Video Geek
Lightsabers are quick and easy.

Shoot with a stand-in blade (wooden dowel.) Give it a handle and hilt that is clearly defined (important to have a strong visual reference to where the blade starts, or you will not be consistent drawing frame to frame.)

Draw a filled polygon over the shape of the blade in each frame (pretty much a line when it's still, and an arc when it's swinging fast) and give it a a glow.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I was going to say that the two-point stabilizer could do the trick nicely, but I checked and unfortunately find it had slipped my mind that it didn't exist until Mirage. :(

songweaver

How about teleportation and laser blasts

Thanks for the info on the lightsaber, how about Star Trek teleportation effect and a laser blast effect? I am trying to do a sci-fi parody.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I have to confess I'm not entirely sure what a "laser blast" looks like. A 'beam in/out' is basically just a glorified dissolve, maybe with a little sparkly overlay, maybe a little ripple or fractal noise displacement. I'm sorry not to be more helpful, but you could go a hundred directions here ... it depends on what you want your effect to look like.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Here is an example of Laser Blast
That one looks like child's play. Use the airbrush to make a little blurry streak of light. Pick it up as a brush. Use the Keyframer to animate it in an empty Anim layer above the video clip. Merge the two layers (I think I'd try an additive merge.

Here is one of teleport
Looks like a simple dissolve, as I said - dressed up with a 'swirly-streaky' overlay. There's no 'swirly-streaky' tool in Aura, but you could paint or use filters to come up with something just as good or better, I expect. (I'd probably just use Mirage's Particle Engine, myself, but there are lots of others - like Particle Illusion, or whatever they're calling it these days).

Top Bottom