Kryslin's lScripts

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
I'll get it fixed. Between writing, physical therapy, and being sick (Not Covid, I picked up peri-orbital cellulitis somewhere...) I should be able to update the link. Thank you for the head's up.
Cellulitis! Ha.

Sorry Kryslin, I truly sympathize from personal experience, but that's just SnakeOilese for "it's an inflammation of some sort and we haven't a clue why, but we'll give it a fancy name to sound smart & justify our rates".

Went through that with a leg infection 20 years back that they never did figure out the cause; I'd bumped that shin the day before, rubbed it out & forgotten about it in seconds. The original Dr. actually flinched with a W.C. Fields "Godfrey Daniels" take when he saw the leg two days later; extremely swollen calf, with fire engine red spider veins & looked as if it was going to shatter. "Possible" loss of the leg was mentioned more than once. Three credit cards were "definitely" maxed out though before being admitted into the hospital. I was a couple weeks shy of having my union benefits.

IV antibiotics, ultrasound, sharing a room with an 87 yr. old Baptist minister with a constant flow of family (very nice people), all the while I was hallucinating from the drugs.

Finally released after 4 days with no idea of what had just happened.

Fortunately, I insisted on being perscribed oral antibiotics as it flared up 5 more times over the next couple of years. Last time though, symptoms were in exact reverse order (thought I was getting the flu) & oddly enough the last time I had the problem. But it was like walking around with a grenade w/o a pin for some years.

Hope your situation is more predictable.

fuzzytop

@Kryslin I wrote back on August 23, 2020 that I hoped to have a project to use your scripts on ... Well finally I am working on a short film and I had hoped to use them... But I can't find any docs about the latest versions of the plugins... and only scant references to documentaion for earlier versions... erikals has a few demo YouTube videos I've watched but mostly on BiasComb which has been superseded by styleComb... From earlier forum posts I can see that for earlier versions you had a short text file which explained briefly how to use the plugins... But for the Python versions that doesn't exist... Can you point me in some direction to get started using your plugins... I just spent a long fruitless day trying to figure them out myself... I'm more specifically focusing on the FFXTools plugins ... Any help would be appreciated...

fuzzytop

@Kryslin Sorry to hear about the cellulitis ... I'm still recovering from an intestinal infection and have been miserable for a month... Hope you recover soon...

Kryslin

Well, I can answer some questions.

Style comb tends to be simple to use; choose a surface to comb away from, choose surfaces to comb. select how strong the combing is (Sleekness), how curled the guide is, and how long you want the guide to be. Do you want the combing to respect gravity? Tell it to do that. If you have a point/points selected, it will use those instead of a surface. You can also use parts instead of surfaces. When you get it set up, press "OK", and go do something else for a bit. Yeah, it takes a while.

I really do need to get the polished versions of the Python Scripts uploaded... Looks like I've got a project for the cold and wet evening.

@Ma3rk I'll take a relatively mild case of cellulitis vs. E. Coli in my kidneys. I went through 5 gallons (20 liters) of IV Antibiotics, and probably 5 times that in IV fluids. Having a very high fever for 4 days sucks.

Kryslin

Ok, the support link has been updated.

I'll work on getting the layout tools added to the page as well.

Kryslin

Not lscript related, but definitely 3rd party...

I'm trying to convert polygonal hair volumes into spline based hair for use with FiberFX.

Selecting edges works, but getting from start to finish can be is often a frustrating manual process.

Does anyone know of a plugin that would trace a spline on a mesh, given the mesh, start and end points? I thought Sensei's modeler plugin bundle might have something in it, but I couldn't find anything...

Kryslin

I use that one to convert copied edges into curves a lot. Works really well, though not all the curves start points are lined up, which requires manually flipping curves, which can be a pain if there are a lot of them.

No, this is choose 2 points on a mesh (a start point and an end point) and the computer draw a spline between the two. I was wondering if there was something out there already. as it stands, I've got a prototype that appears to work; choose 2 points, a start and end, and working from the end point, draw a spline to the start point, then flip the curve, so the start point is the selected start point.

*edit* This doesn't necessarily mean follow the edges.

My path finding algorithm is downright primitive, though. At the very least, the last step is easy.

Last edited:

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Hey Kryslin, erikals,

I just uploaded a vid mostly to explain what I've been wanting try and have done, to some knowledgeable programmer type. But the basic steps seems kinda what you're wanting to do, unless I missed a detail of yours.

Kryslin

Okay...
I have a mesh that defines a hair volume. Specifically, it's from a downloaded model from the MMD app, which was run Imported through Blender into a LWO object. I want to convert the polygonal hair into fibers for FiberFX.

I know 3D Studio had a tool that allows you to draw splines on a strip of polygons. I know you can copy edges as 2 pt. polygons, and convert those to curves using a 3rd party lscript, mentioned previously. Filling the interior of the volume is not a problem, I've got tools for interpolating a spline from two splines, and resampling splines. It's getting a spline based on the points in the mesh, not necessarily following the edges, that is proving to be difficult.

If the example mesh, which is included as a lwo for 2015, was all quads, this would be easier. But it's not, and I had a heckuva time de-triangulating and then reducing that into something LW could easily handle for weighting and rigging (I went from 320K to 40K polygons). In order to simplify the rigging, I'm moving the hair into FiberFX (Whoever had mentioned that the AFH shader was faster sans Transmission, thank you) so I can apply bullet dynamics to it. (Attempts to add constraints to the bones for the volumes has resulted in crashes. A lot of crashes.)

Hence the question.

It may very well be that no such plugin exists for LW, and I'm on my own, which is fine, because I'm reasonably sure I can come up with something. I'd rather not have to re-invent the wheel.

Attachments

• tstcrv2_lwo2.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 29

oh, sorry i meant Ma3rk

but too a look at the file,
that's going to be a tricky one Kryslin, since edgeloops are disrupted by 3gons and such
i don't know if that is possible, not without running some kind of auto-remesh tool.

If the example mesh, which is included as a lwo for 2015, was all quads, this would be easier.
yes!

Last edited:

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
could you attach the model as a lwo 2015 format ?
I'll send the OBJ file & you can do as you wish.
Ah dang. Under 5megs but too large for the forum. I'll send you a private message & we'll figure something. Or I'll just use a WeTransfer link.

Kryslin

oh, sorry i meant Ma3rk

but too a look at the file,
that's going to be a tricky one Kryslin, since edgeloops are disrupted by 3gons and such
i don't know if that is possible, not without running some kind of auto-remesh tool.

yes!
Not a problem.

Thank you for reminding me that I have Meshlab installed on the workstation. A remeshing I shall go!

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
erikals.
Which of Mike Greens plugs are you using? I've some but didn't recognize the ones you used. I'll see how well my system fares.

Thank You to Mike Green "Dodgy"
> Select Polygons By Size

there is also ef_ToggleLinesCurves but the website is down.

after this video, i did let ef_ToggleLinesCurves run for 10 minutes,
and it converted all the 130.000 2 point poly chains to curves correctly.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Thank You to Mike Green "Dodgy"
> Select Polygons By Size

there is also ef_ToggleLinesCurves but the website is down.

after this video, i did let ef_ToggleLinesCurves run for 10 minutes,
and it converted all the 130.000 2 point poly chains to curves correctly.
Slick. I was wondering if doing them in batches would help. I'll check the ef_ site later. I've a couple others of his I like & use often.

Top Bottom