Kelly "Kat" Myers is ill - can you help ?

I don't usually do this, but he had a though journey last year, so here we go.

Kelly "Kat" Myers is an award winning visual effects LightWave artist who has worked in the film industry for over 30 years.
His credits include such hits as the acclaimed Battlestar Galactica series.
He currently works as an independent contractor for small studios and film makers both domestically and internationally.

img.png

an excerpt > After sustaining a serious fall in his apartment bathroom, Kelly laid unconscious for several hours. When he came to, he could not move due to extreme pain. Unable to get help, alert a neighbor or friend for days, Kelly ended up dehydrated, delusional and with a fever of 104 degrees. Eventually six hours from death EMT's arrived to pick him up off the floor. By this time serious infections had begun to take hold. On March 3rd of 2020, he was checked into a Las Vegas hospital just as the Covid Pandemic hit. Because of the nationwide crisis, medical staff were unsure what had happened to Kelly. He spent the next 48 hours in the emergency room screaming in excruciating pain, unable to properly communicate. He was suffering from three different types of infections including sepsis and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). it doesn't end there unfortunately... read more at >

https://www.gofundme.com/f/requesting-support-for-kelly-myers

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
I hope it doesn´t sound harsch as to what I say now, and there´s nothing wrong to ask about help
But what was the cost of the medical care? and Kelly´s income as an vfx artist? the revenue from Liberty3d?
Isn´t that not good enough to invest in or put aside his own health care fund for event´s like this, seem´s to me that this is what you have to do living in the Usa and not having company health care etc, not saying Kelly have been spending on things he shouldn´t have, but saving for situations like this seems to be a must in a system like that, can´t have been a surprise?
If Kelly had a typical average income, it´s about responsibility to put money aside, and with such income it just can´t be impossible I would think, but that is me speculating a bit.

Over here our tax system helps out a lot with the health care with not much costs at all, but could of course vary depending on what condition you have.
As unemployed right now, and have been from time to time many years, every penny I can save for my future pension I have to save, because it´s gonna be horribly low due to partyly unemployment some years, and due to the horrible saleries Ivé been given, I will probably not be able to afford to feed the doves in the park at old age, but rather eat the bread myself, my current economy is not all that bad, it´s not wealthy, and it´s not powerty..it allows me to currently spend on some things to live a decent life ...currently, but doing that also means a much much lesser decent life at older age, which means despite the decent living today..I have to be carefu on what I spend on today for a future consideration.

I am currently in a situation where I am in a relative conflict of heritage, and also may have to wrestle with a company that may try to avoid paying full salery for a short time of work I did.

I wish him good recovery and hopefully some more people and more generous e than me can help him out, maybe the way to help out while also getting a benefit for yourself in your own investments, that would be to buy something from Liberty3D, provided that could yield some form of benefit more than normal to him.
Glad to see him having managed the worst I think, that condition could have led to death.

ObamaCare or something else..Perhaps the question.

Last edited:

the policy in the US is much-much tougher over there than here in Norway / Sweden

this was actually one of the reasons I didn't move (I lived there early 2000)

and artists don't earn much, so some feel forced to gamble and cut insurance cost.

we can criticize people, but the system over there sucks. many get caught in a jam.

Glad to see him having managed the worst

yes, it must have been hard and difficult.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
the policy in the US is much-much tougher over there than here in Norway / Sweden

and artists don't earn much, so some feel forced to gamble and cut insurance cost.

we can criticise people, but the system over there sucks. many get caught in a jam.

I know the system over there seem to suck, and yes..I feel a little blessed about living here in sweden with our high taxes and how healthcare is provided, though it has become worse over the latest 20 years.

And yes..I can understand they feel forced to gamble, but saying an artist doesn´t earn much says nothing if not a value is specified and the rest of their living cost generally as well as individually what that artist decides to spend on for their living.

Heck, from time to time I even go and pick can´s to recycle every other night I go for a walk, I have to talk a walk to keep the weight down..and while doing so..there are always can´s on the ground youngsters feel like trowing a way 1 crown or 2 here and there, so there are maybe 10-20 can´s each night I take a stroll, which will provide a meal each day basicly, and some time if I am lucky I can stumble across 70-100 cans in one bag on certain places.
But I shouldn´t go in to how miserable my extra income can be, I really do not need to do that to survive or get a decent living, it´s just a precaution instinct if I don´t have a steady income from jobs I programmed myself with in the days when it was really bad for me.

I don´t spend on uneccesary clothings, motorcycles, boats, cars, nor a house..just the rent to pay, clothings maybe every 9thm month if even that..don´t go out and eat on restaurants, no loans, no fancy stuff at all really except my computer I bought 2016 that was quite expensive and this year a new freezer.
I don´t travel..saves a huge amount of money that over the years would be quite a lot.
But that said, some people actually may want to have a life :)

Bad earnings, I would think that an VFX artist would earn much much more than a low payed administrator for instance, but it is of course highly different where you work or as independent, I think a guy like Alan McKay earns quite alot for example..but who am I to compare.

Not sure if this one is viable or usable to a different person living in the Usa, and of course only valid if you have job each month, so to apply this to Kelly is probably off the chart, but I just wonder, according to this..an average salery for a 3D artist 42,600 sek...that is huge, almost double the salery I have had as an low paid administrator.

Now most jobs in the Usa have a much higher salery than the Swedish counterpart, our taxes takes a lot as well, but I am sure there is a reason to be more responsible for your life than trusting the governement to do it ..ergo, save and save for your life, don´t gamble with it.

prometheus

REBORN

It never crossed my mind to move and live there for reasons like living conditions etc, but probably mostly the crime rate...mostly felt safe over here, but recent years of ever so increasingly criminal gangs and severe crime rates gang related sort of are demolishing my faith in a secure Sweden nowadays, I really feel like I want to move to a more safer country nowadays, this was not the case during the 70´s mid 90´s.

If foreigners visit or inhabits Sweden, they should contribute and not take short cuts with drugs and violence and organized crime, if you do that..you will be accepted.

I think enviroment is also a part of it, feels we have a decently clean capital city as well with less air pollution, I would love the Usa landscape scenery in some parts though.
but we are going off topic, and discussing wether or not Kelly have had a chance previously to save and if he took that responibility seriously or not, or if other factors has gotten in the way, Only he can tell.

He should move to Sweden and start working at massive entertainment, get more decent health care, it will probably take frustrating 4 months to get a working permit according to Stefan Thyron who moved from the U.S to Sweden four years ago..but beware, chicken meat is soo expensive here, while the health care is shockingly low in cost :)
2:58 in the vid he covers health care.

With Kelly´s skills, I would guess he would be an asset for many many companies over here, it´s a completely different matter if he can or desires to do so of course, your birth country isn´t easy to leave and say goodbye too, even if some things sucks, In Sweden the coffe is good :) winters can be depressively dark though, it´s a bit warmer in Malmö where Massive entertainment are located though, and easier to travel to denmark or britain where ther also could be some jobs available from time to time. :)

Personal contacts here on the forums to connect to is Mikael Burman aka Cageman.
Massive entertainment career..

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 23-14-15 Job openings - Massive.png

Last edited:

Planeguy

we can criticize people, but the system over there sucks. many get caught in a jam.

yes, it must have been hard and difficult.

The healthcare system in the US is absolutely disastrous. Where hospitals often abuse the insurance scheme and charge whatever they want. I had once a $5k bill for an emergency ambulance ride. In my country, healthcare is private, modern and of great quality, and we also have goverment hospitals that are free. Private rates go for around $100 a month, or less, depending on hospitals. We have several international hospitals, from the Brittish, to the Spanish, etc etc. These are private entities, so no goverment is funding partial costs here.

I'm actually planning to get out of here soon. Cost of living in the US is absolutely insane, maybe on pair with Switzerland but without the beautiful mountains, or good looking women, job opportunities, healthcare, or their nice base salary that affords a living there compared to the slave wages they have here.

Heck, Montenegro or Serbia you can live with less than $1k a month and live longer. This isn't the US of old anymore. But I digress, sorry.

raymondtrace

Founding member
It's fun to read the comments of people outside of the USA. You must think we 'muricans are nuts (and you'd be correct). Few Americans save for healthcare emergencies. Few choose to buy insurance...and when they're forced to buy insurance through the ACA (Obamacare), many people throw a fit and file lawsuits against the government. Few have resources (rent/mortgage/food/utilities) to compensate for lost income when they are sidelined because of illness.

It's best to learn about US healthcare in a comedy show. Any other source is just too depressing.

prometheus

REBORN
The healthcare system in the US is absolutely disastrous. Where hospitals often abuse the insurance scheme and charge whatever they want. I had once a $5k bill for an emergency ambulance ride. In my country, healthcare is private, modern and of great quality, and we also have goverment hospitals that are free. Private rates go for around $100 a month, or less, depending on hospitals. We have several international hospitals, from the Brittish, to the Spanish, etc etc. These are private entities, so no goverment is funding partial costs here.

I'm actually planning to get out of here soon. Cost of living in the US is absolutely insane, maybe on pair with Switzerland but without the beautiful mountains, or good looking women, job opportunities, healthcare, or their nice base salary that affords a living there compared to the slave wages they have here.

Heck, Montenegro or Serbia you can live with less than $1k a month and live longer. This isn't the US of old anymore. But I digress, sorry.

Youvé been adviced on where to move if you have education and skills to get going fast :)
And check Stefan Thyrons video blogs about living here in Sweden :)
It´s fun to see the cultural differences.

What is required of you though, you have to sit in the couch and cheer for Sweden in Olympics Like soccergames between the Usa women and Sweden, or Hockeygames..if you can´t give that pledge, you will never get a working or stay permit :)

That said, I think you need a pretty high level of skills for most 3D work and focus on game industry, not something an everyday hobby 3D artist could jump in to, and often need varification of work with shipped titles.

pauland

LW Watcher
I hope it doesn´t sound harsch as to what I say now, and there´s nothing wrong to ask about help
But what was the cost of the medical care? and Kelly´s income as an vfx artist? the revenue from Liberty3d?
Isn´t that not good enough to invest in or put aside his own health care fund for event´s like this, seem´s to me that this is what you have to do living in the Usa and not having company health care etc, not saying Kelly have been spending on things he shouldn´t have, but saving for situations like this seems to be a must in a system like that, can´t have been a surprise?
If Kelly had a typical average income, it´s about responsibility to put money aside, and with such income it just can´t be impossible I would think, but that is me speculating a bit.

Over here our tax system helps out a lot with the health care with not much costs at all, but could of course vary depending on what condition you have.
As unemployed right now, and have been from time to time many years, every penny I can save for my future pension I have to save, because it´s gonna be horribly low due to partyly unemployment some years, and due to the horrible saleries Ivé been given, I will probably not be able to afford to feed the doves in the park at old age, but rather eat the bread myself, my current economy is not all that bad, it´s not wealthy, and it´s not powerty..it allows me to currently spend on some things to live a decent life ...currently, but doing that also means a much much lesser decent life at older age, which means despite the decent living today..I have to be carefu on what I spend on today for a future consideration.

I am currently in a situation where I am in a relative conflict of heritage, and also may have to wrestle with a company that may try to avoid paying full salery for a short time of work I did.

I wish him good recovery and hopefully some more people and more generous e than me can help him out, maybe the way to help out while also getting a benefit for yourself in your own investments, that would be to buy something from Liberty3D, provided that could yield some form of benefit more than normal to him.
Glad to see him having managed the worst I think, that condition could have led to death.

ObamaCare or something else..Perhaps the question.
Just what someone down on their luck needs - a lecture from Mr Perfect.

prometheus

REBORN
It's fun to read the comments of people outside of the USA. You must think we 'muricans are nuts (and you'd be correct). Few Americans save for healthcare emergencies. Few choose to buy insurance...and when they're forced to buy insurance through the ACA (Obamacare), many people throw a fit and file lawsuits against the government. Few have resources (rent/mortgage/food/utilities) to compensate for lost income when they are sidelined because of illness.

It's best to learn about US healthcare in a comedy show. Any other source is just too depressing.

We also have practical examples as the Curious case of Kelly Myers as a 3D vfx artist, can´t affording a medical care in the Usa, VS had he been living over here.
I should probably shut my mouth about Obamacare VS anything over there, cause I do not know how it works properly...though it sounded good, and the current example seem to have not benefited from anything over there.

It´s just sad that Kelly got this condition and how the "whatever"system has worked over there..or not worked that is.

prometheus

REBORN
Still having a thorn on my side ..which you really should learn to drop, You and I know perfectly very well it´s not true that I am mr perfect, just something you are dragging along with and your perception of me historicly, and you say that Only to provoke, That doesn´t serve you well Anywhere..so you´d be better of dropping the comments like that without thinking it through thorougly first.

We don´t go in to personal attacks in the discussion according to forum rules, if you can´t see my questioning in a fairly decent tone but with critics as different to how you conduct your manners in these forums, then look in the mirror yourself and ask how perfect you are in your conversations where you are lecturing.

If you gamble with your economy and your buffert and responsiblity to keep savings, you mostly will run out of luck, don´t put the blame on others pointing that out.
If you put your life and trust in Luck and not responsibility...that is a good receipe for not having any luck.

Now that said, I tried to put it in a Questionable form when I talked about that, there can be other things causing the situation around Kelly´s lack of ability to cover the costs of course, that is why I asked about medical cost, income etc, which of course probably only he can answer to.

Last edited:

Planeguy

Youvé been adviced on where to move if you have education and skills to get going fast :)
And check Stefan Thyrons video blogs about living here in Sweden :)
It´s fun to see the cultural differences.

What is required of you though, you have to sit in the couch and cheer for Sweden in Olympics Like soccergames between the Usa women and Sweden, or Hockeygames..if you can´t give that pledge, you will never get a working or stay permit :)

That said, I think you need a pretty high level of skills for most 3D work and focus on game industry, not something an everyday hobby 3D artist could jump in to, and often need varification of work with shipped titles.
:LOL: I hate watching sports man! But I don't mind playing them for fun hehe, does that qualify? I'll have to check that dude out.

I'm thinking of relocating to Montenegro, or Serbia, etc. Something outside the west and working remotely. The problem with the 3D industry, is that it's bloated with way too many artists so it's hard to find a job anywhere unless you have insane skills, which I don't.

prometheus

REBORN
:LOL: I hate watching sports man! But I don't mind playing them for fun hehe, does that qualify? I'll have to check that dude out.

I'm thinking of relocating to Montenegro, or Serbia, etc. Something outside the west and working remotely. The problem with the 3D industry, is that it's bloated with way too many artists so it's hard to find a job anywhere unless you have insane skills, which I don't.
You wouldn´t be able to focus on the ball if you´d play the Womens team I´ll bet :)...If that was what you ment?

Yeah, the situation of bloated with too many artists are probably the same all over the world.

If foreigners visit or inhabits Sweden, they should contribute and not take short cuts with drugs and violence and organized crime,
if you do that..you will be accepted.
Agree, but that wasn't the problem, the problem was that Sweden imported way too many immigrants who then fought to get the few jobs (this kept salaries down).
The remaining immigrants didn't have any jobs to go to. Thus creating a "parallel-society"
Same thing here. Only it had a much harder impact in Sweden.

unemployment map
20.png

Politicians said "But we have to be kind"
On the other hand, good thing was that the rich goth richer.
And who gave money to the politicians... that's right, the rich ones..

But seriously, on the bright side, I welcome much of it. Norway was way too "white" years back.

Last edited:

Planeguy

You wouldn´t be able to focus on the ball if you´d play the Womens team I´ll bet :)...If that was what you ment?

Yeah, the situation of bloated with too many artists are probably the same all over the world.
It depends if the women are fit and femenine, then yeah, it would be hard to focus on the ball lol

prometheus

REBORN
It depends if the women are fit and femenine, then yeah, it would be hard to focus on the ball lol
I almost got tricked by you in to going too much off topic and was about to post images of the Swedish women soccer team, but had to restrain myself so we don´t expand this thread by talking about the looks of women.

prometheus

REBORN
Agree, but that wasn't the problem, the problem was that Sweden imported way too many immigrant who then fought to get the few jobs (this kept salaries down).
The remaining immigrants didn't have any jobs to go to. Thus creating a "parallel-society"
Same thing here. Only it had a much harder impact in Sweden.

click unemployment map (kart)

Politicians said "But we have to be kind"
On the other hand, good thing was that the rich goth richer.
And who gave money to the politicians ones, that's right, the rich ones..

But seriously, on the bright side, I welcome much of it. Norway was way too "white" years back.

It´s a hybrid, but as you said, the originating problem for some part´s is what you say, then you have other generations who are lured in to short cuts by others that can´t accept a lifestyle of education or working at low payed places which are frowned at by criminals.

white or black is little of relevance, there are blacks, mexicans etc from the United states that have moved here and adapts in a completely different manner and very well...which often are different that from for instance many african regions, it´s about region their culture, religion and education that determines how well they can adapt to another culture and it´s value..there are exceptions but it´s more likely that you fit in to another lands value and culture and get work much easier if you come from europe region or America, so not really a matter of race..but cultural differences and how diametrical it may be to the country they come to...it would be naive to think that all cultures would have the same ease to intergrate...we can put a moral standing as we all should have the same value, but that is a different matter.

Americans as I am aware of don´t come here because of war as refugees, and have a very similar culture to us here in sweden( Religion perhaps still the biggest difference) but it´s still not as extreme at least compared to syrian, somalia etc.
So when they come it´s often because falling in love with some Swedes, or some job almost in place perhaps..thu´s not much of difficulties intergrating to become an American Swede.
Funny to see how this American guy Stefan Thyron only after four years in Sweden has lernt to speak Swedish very well, while such thing often takes 10 years or much longer for many immigrants..and those have to go to Swedish for immigrants in order to stay here, while Stefan seem to have learned by himself or friends, I would guess by his contact with swedes and his girlfriend, he got more introduced to talk with us in a different way than immigrants placed differently.

I wonder how well Swedes intergrate in to America, what do we have to drop and adapt to?
I wonder if we are too noisy..smell to bad :) or simply are just too depressingly quiet? or perhaps we are just too perfect :) or have a habit of thinking we are, that must be it. :)

Norwegians in Sweden, not much of a problem due our similar culture, we are breathing next to eachother in the ski-track for the most of the time anyway.
We were 8 guys on my former job, and 2 extra guys who were norwegian, at least one of them where very nice an funny to talk to.
Also worked with another norwegian guy many many years ago for a short time, very relaxed and easy going.
Danes a bit more crazy, more impulsive emotionally, but funny too.

As for Norwegian health care, seems they have bested us in Sweden anyway, The Covid pandemic put a spotlight on some differences with a favour for norway how they traditionally deal with elderly and health care.

Last edited:

Planeguy

I almost got tricked by you in to going too much off topic and was about to post images of the Swedish women soccer team, but had to restrain myself so we don´t expand this thread by talking about the looks of women.
True true, let's stay on topic lol

Agree.

prometheus

REBORN
health care Sweden VS Usa, just something to wonder about, pro´s and con´s in both system.
The dentist, not incorporated within these health care systems, I haven´t been to a dentist for probably 15 years, and now it start´s to hurt, it´s very expensive, on the other hand not
currently life threatening or a major obstacle, they talk about dental costs as not being expensive in Sweden in this video, that I can not agree on, perhaps when compared to the united states.

When this guy decided to move to Sweden, one of the major things he was curious about was the Swedish health care system.
Maybe I am promoting it too much, there are other countries that may have better..but it´s there for consideration ..as long as if you arrive here, get a working permit and cheer for nothing else than the Swedish teams.

The major complaints about the health care system over here is the waiting lines, and if you do get sick with a condition, the doctors written words that you can´t work isn´t always valid, the insurance agency very often overrides it and forces you to work anyway, those are the biggest issues I would say...that started with a hunt from a certain government maybe 12 years ago on those who are sick for a longer time, and they changed the rules so the doctors point of view doesn´t count for much.

2019 I got a severe case of pneumonia, never felt as sick as I did then..but recovered, but the cost of having to contact emergency and the bill and examination and the control with xray and the drugs wasn´t much of a cost, that I could pay from 2-3 hours of working time with a low salery roughly estimated.
I couldn´t even walk 50 meters to the grocery store, but had to stop and sit after only a few meters, like that for two weeks at least.

The Case of what medical treatment Kelly had to go trough would be interesting to know, how long the stay was etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom