Just a question so this forum aint that abandoned

Elmar Moelzer

What happened to Calibar?
I have never had one, but I have heard pretty good critics about it?
Why was that great product discontinued?
CU
Elmar

eheupel

That is an answer I understand. I just wish someone else out there would pick up the Calibar from Newtek, or develop a similar product. The calibar is still one of the most useful pieces of hardware...

cgolchert

This space for rent
Paul Lara said:
...because it was not the core technology that NewTek is best at.

...but it worked and there is still a demand for it.

Is it a demand vs. cost to produce issue?

djlithium

I have people phoning me about Calibar on a regular basis.

It should never have been dropped from production.

SamuraiSlayer

hey guys, i know this thread is almost literally a year old, but WHATS A CALIBAR?

i know it has to be a thing and not software because everyone says "A" calibar not just calibar

Jim Capillo

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot
Calibar is a pen sized, portable test generator for composite video signals. It has about a dozen different setup signals and is prized by anyone who sets up equipment in the field.

Jim Capillo

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot
Heres one:

Attachments

• calibar2.jpg
    calibar2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 445

tonsofpcs

Broadcast Engineer
I've seen the calibug, but....
1) it requires a computer to use, it isn't really that pen sized when it comes down to it
2) Many video cards that do support NTSC out will not put less than 7.5 IRE on the video [a neccessity for SMPTE Bars]
I want a calibar :)

Chris McDonell

New little thing

Wow, cool. If I didn't already have a calibar I'd be tempted. I use my calibar a lot at the hospital where I repair medical equipment. Lots of surgical video systems in the OR these days. It would be nice if the device also had a waveform/vectorscope built in.

tonsofpcs

Broadcast Engineer
I still wonder why their products create video at 640x480... NTSC Video has 486 lines of video with an average of 3 usually cropped from each side, and 720x486 is a more acurate ratio. 640x480 is a VGA computer resolution, and should not be used for NTSC video testing... (just my POV)

Top Bottom