Is this really your issue? Nahimic service and Nvidia display drivers

raymondtrace

Founding member
Marander recently pointed out an apparently long known issue with Nahimic audio service and Nvidia display drivers. Reports around the intertubes suggest that this combination has adverse effects on Maya, Substance and Rhino.

Upon disabling the Nahimic service, I was able to resolve the most annoying bug I've experienced since the release of LW2020 (LWB-6321): Whenever my image viewer window spawned on a secondary display from F9, LightWave would lock up.

While closing out this bug report on lightwave3d.com, I revisited other unresolved reports. With the Nahimic service disabled, those other issues cannot be reproduced. They are now resolved. I currently have ZERO open bugs for LightWave in my account.

There have been a lot of seemingly random crashes and lock-ups reported in the forum lately. Perhaps Nahimic services is the key to all of this...

How to disable Nahimic services:
  1. Open Windows "Services"
  2. Locate "Nahimic service"
  3. Right-click on it to select "Properties"
  4. Set "Startup type" from automatic to disabled and stop the service.

Last edited:

raymondtrace

Founding member
The LW devs responding to my support tickets seemed as dumbfounded as I was with the odd behavior I was reporting. From the few reports on the forum so far, it seems to affect each user differently.

Since disabling the service, I no longer work with dread.

Marander's latest link points out an alternative to keep the service running, but blacklist it on certain apps:

Locate this nahimic blacklist
C:\ProgramData\A-Volute\A-Volute.Nahimic\Modules\Scheduled\Configurator\BlackApps.dat
and insert your affected executable application to avoid injecting your application by Nahimic
tested on Substance Painter.exe
There is no needed to restart PC or Nahimic Service
Just save file
Only what is inevitable is restart your stuck/freezed application.

Last edited:

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
On my desktop with asus mb, and realtek audio i dont find the nahimic service...but it is on my laptop, which is also an asus

Sensei

TrueArt Support
With the Nahimic service disabled, those other issues cannot be reproduced. They are now resolved. I currently have ZERO open bugs for LightWave in my account.

Copy and paste them (the one that you closed after disabling service) here, so people will read here what they are.. If they will experience the same, will have to know, what to do.

Last edited:

raymondtrace

Founding member
Copy and paste them (the one that you closed after disabling service) here, so people will read here what they are.. If they will experience the same, will have to know, what to do.

Excellent idea. I'm circling back to the discussion topics I recall were related and adding a note there too. I only started this unique topic because there were so many interface problems reported throughout this forum that I could not imagine making this suggestion in each.

Here's what I was able to resolve by disabling the Nahimic service...

(LWB-5737) Mouse cannot move objects or change view in Layout or Modeler

Affected: LW 2018-2020. (2015 and earlier is unaffected)​
This was originally discovered in Modeler when I could not use the mouse on zoom/pan/rotate controls in the upper right corner of each viewport. The same controls were non-functional in Layout. Additionally in Layout, I could not move or rotate objects/lights/camera with the mouse.​
Similar reports:​
The workaround/solution, as described in the forum discussion, was to switch the LW preferences for the input device from mouse to tablet, even if you're using a mouse.​
Upon disabling Nahimic drivers, there is no need for me to toggle the mouse/tablet preference in LW. Both options now work.​
This issue is also reported by those that use remote desktop. I have not tested the Nahimic service solution in that scenario and doubt this applies but it may be worth testing. You might use this optional Nvidia software to improve hardware accelerated graphic apps through remote access ( https://forums.newtek.com/threads/162460 ).​

(LWB-6321) F9 renders lock up if image preview window is not on primary display
Affected: LW 2020. (earlier editions appear unaffected)​
Lockups occur when I have the render image preview window on a secondary display while the main Layout window is on the first display. (I use Task Manager to kill Layout.)​
If I keep the image preview window on the main/first display, LightWave does not lock up.​
After crashing, the "LW2020.0.2-64.CFG" config file needs some cleanup to avoid successive failures. Search for the "WindowShape" lines and find the one that starts with 1230394693 as an attribute. This identifies the image preview window. The next number is the X coordinate, then the Y coordinate, then the width and height.​
WindowShape 1230394693 1829 140 1286 746​
I just delete the line, save the CFG file, and on the next run of Layout, the image preview window spawns on the first display. All is good.​
Upon disabling Nahimic drivers, this issue has not returned. I can now position the image preview window on any display.​

Last edited:
Top Bottom