Is Terragen a competing product or a complementary product? (foremost)

Would like to see images of the render though from you :) nodes are not revealing it to me
yeah, i'm a bit all over the place now (again) hopefully i'll get it finished soon.
doing tons of misc Landscaping techniques, all at the same time...
Vue . Megascans . Instancing . Advanced Placement . World Machine ...

i feel like this --->

prometheus

REBORN
i sure agree with the PBR setups being tedious.
a simple PBR mixer should've been available, where one could mix multiple PBR textures.

i found that saving the setup to a Material.nodes file helps,
for then to "just" clone it and edit it in notepad. (search-replace)

oh well, could be worse.

Aiming for ancient walls here or? :)
Thought you said dirt "ground" but perhaps you are just testing on a cube?

prometheus

REBORN
yeah, i'm a bit all over the place now (again) hopefully i'll get it finished soon.
doing tons of misc Landscaping techniques, all at the same time...
Vue . Megascans . Instancing . Advanced Placement . World Machine ...

i feel like this --->

Creativity without a proper trajectory, you may end up on rocky mars.
By the way, cool to see the chopper/drone flights from Mars, several of them have succeeded, seems like a total sucess there.

By the way, cool to see the chopper/drone flights from Mars, several of them have succeeded, seems like a total sucess there.
it is rather incredible

thought they'd get in big trouble with that one.

and the Spaceship landing was a success. Mighty Cool.

maybe, Musks plan isn't that far fetched after all ?

yeah, soon here too,
tip, you can install 15GB of Quixel Mixer materials if you want PBR textures.
but also other resources out there.

when finished, perhaps i'll mix some of these >

alright, Good night.

preview.png

For PBR material mixing, this is my favorite setup.

Mixer_01.jpg

I plug the second texture as BG directly into the first and control the opacity with an alpha mask. Only when too many additional settings in the material have to be different or the materials themself do I use two materials and a material mixer. In my experience, this setup renders faster than one with Material Mixer (up to 25% slower).

Unfortunately, the Normal Map node has no BG input. I use a color mixer, but it should actually be a Vector Mixer, I believe. Unfortunately I don't have one for LW2020.

ciao
Thomas

In my experience, this setup renders faster than one with Material Mixer (up to 25% slower).
ah.

this might very well be. i've read about the Material Mixer slowing things down in earlier post. haven't tested myself yet.

Thank You for the preview, I think you might be onto something.

I'm also considering using indexed png 256 color images for some of the textures, (or 128 colors)
should help in regards to render speed. tho' unsure how much.

prometheus

REBORN
For PBR material mixing, this is my favorite setup.

View attachment 150117

I plug the second texture as BG directly into the first and control the opacity with an alpha mask. Only when too many additional settings in the material have to be different or the materials themself do I use two materials and a material mixer. In my experience, this setup renders faster than one with Material Mixer (up to 25% slower).

Unfortunately, the Normal Map node has no BG input. I use a color mixer, but it should actually be a Vector Mixer, I believe. Unfortunately I don't have one for LW2020.

ciao
Thomas

Thanks for sharing that setup, might be worth checking up for faster renders.(y)

Yeah, makes me think I should use 1 Metalness node, not 3.
3 will probably slow down the process somewhat.

turtle speed s.png

Cageman

Almost newbie
i sure agree with the PBR setups being tedious.
a simple PBR mixer should've been available, where one could mix multiple PBR textures.

i found that saving the setup to a Material.nodes file helps,
for then to "just" clone it and edit it in notepad. (search-replace)

oh well, could be worse.

This is why I use DB&Ws PBR texture node. :) It works wonders for the metal/roughness workflow and will also convert, internaly, between metal/roughness and specular/glossiness workflows.

It will also accept material textures, used in game engines such as Unreal and does the math behind the scenes. I do recomend sticking to metal/roughness since the Principled BSDF shader isn't compatible with specular/glossines workflow for PBR. If you are using the native renderengine in LW2020 that is.

The AWESOME thing with this node though, is that you can customize it to your prefered naming convention of the different textures that a tool like Substance Painter outputs, which means that for a surface, you pick one of the textures and it loads them all and puts them into the right "slot". The only thing you then need to do is to connect the outputs to the shader itself and go to image editor and make sure to set all data textures to linear, if you work in sRGB space.

This particular model took me less than 30 seconds to shade based on PBR metal/roughness workflow thanks to DB&Ws PBR Texture node.

Attachments

• DB&W_PBR_TextureNode.PNG
    DB&W_PBR_TextureNode.PNG
    804.6 KB · Views: 44
This is why I use DB&Ws PBR texture node. :) It works wonders for the metal/roughness workflow and will also convert, internaly, between metal/roughness and specular/glossiness workflows.
I use the OD_PBR_Importer (part of the OD_Tools) for this.

OD_PBR_Importer_01.jpg

It automatically sets up a node setup.

But also Michael's other DB&W nodes and tool are useful, so here you can find more. And: support him on Patreon.

ciao
Thomas

prometheus

REBORN

It will also accept material textures, used in game engines such as Unreal and does the math behind the scenes. I do recomend sticking to metal/roughness since the Principled BSDF shader isn't compatible with specular/glossines workflow for PBR. If you are using the native renderengine in LW2020 that is.

The AWESOME thing with this node though, is that you can customize it to your prefered naming convention of the different textures that a tool like Substance Painter outputs, which means that for a surface, you pick one of the textures and it loads them all and puts them into the right "slot". The only thing you then need to do is to connect the outputs to the shader itself and go to image editor and make sure to set all data textures to linear, if you work in sRGB space.

This particular model took me less than 30 seconds to shade based on PBR metal/roughness workflow thanks to DB&Ws PBR Texture node.

Thanks for that info Cageman.

dlvphoto

another example by Scott (dlvphoto) posted 05/11/ over at Discord -( edit; found the author )

even more complex, but a LW2020 example
unsure if it is "optimal"

not sure why he didn't use "Mixers"

View attachment 150115

Wanted to comment on this since it's my setup and I posted it to the Lightwave discord a few days ago. I'm working up a video on it to go through how I put it together and why.

The textures you see here are all from megascans. I mix two different castle stone textures and use some tricks with fractal noise feeding to scale within the textures to get the organic irregularities you see in the lines. I'm also using a fractal noise pattern to dirty it up and add a bit of life to the color.

I used a material mixer to mix th two pbr textures, and the same fractal noise to control the blending of the bump, normal and displacement maps that feed directly into the surface end-node.

This technique works just as well on landscapes or any large area where you want to avoid the obvious tiling you get when you use textures designed for 1m x 1m or 2m x 2m (as I did here) on an area measured in hundreds of square meters. The wall here is 30m wide by 10m tall; the dimensions of one of the smaller walls in a castle I'm working on.

A lot of the nodes you see above are there to let me make adjustments to the parameters to various areas of the surface from a single point rather than on every... single... node. It makes iterating through looks and effects a lot faster. One day I might get aroung to experimenting with attaching sliders to them as well.

I used a material mixer to mix th two pbr textures, and the same fractal noise to control the blending of the bump, normal and displacement maps that feed directly into the surface end-node.
ah, i missed that, didn't see it at first.

One day I might get around to experimenting with attaching sliders to them as well.
yes, was thinking about it, but indeed, things take time.

Top Bottom