Is is possible to write a plugin to control Modeller by a tabled?

Tropper

Hey there,

I had the idea of writing a plugin to use my ipad as control surface for Modeller. So basically I would create an app that runs my IPad, displaying a lot of buttons, each button tap send a message to my lightwave plugin and the plugin trigger the function in Modeller. Thats the basic idea in a nutshell - pretty easy on paper... :)

Well, I am a software developer in my day job but I never written a plugin for lightwave so far. After reading the SDK documentation for some time now I start to wonder if this type of plugin is possible at all?

The documentation says:
"[...] More than half of the plug-in classes are handler classes. Unlike plug-ins that run when they're invoked and then exit, handlers have a persistent lifetime. They supply callbacks that LightWave® can call at the appropriate time to perform their tasks. [...]"

My plugin would have to run as a damon (much like a handler would), but instead of waiting for callbacks from lightwave it would have to trigger some function in lightwave itself each time it receives a event from the ipad. So the question is can it be done and if so can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Tropper

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Modeler doesn't have handlers, except custom polygon handler, which is pretty much useless for this task.

That line was about Layout handlers.

Modeler doesn't have plugin class which run all the time in background waiting for something.

Danner

Pixel Mage
If you want to use modeler on a tablet... get a MS Surface, works great =) Altho the amount of shortcuts I use make it inpractical in full tablet mode, but for Zbrush and painting apps you can get a touch overlay with alt-shift-ctrl-undo-redo-brush and other common key modifiers or commands and it's enough to sculpt on a couch. And the pressure sensitive pen is way better than any pen on an iPad.

Tropper

I don't want to use Modeller on a tablet. I just want to control it from a table instead of memorising hundreds of keyboard shortcuts...

Sensei

TrueArt Support
I don't want to use Modeller on a tablet. I just want to control it from a table instead of memorising hundreds of keyboard shortcuts...

This is doable.
Tablet would have virtual buttons, which you press, and sending info "press key 'a'" to computer.
It has nothing to do with Modeler, or LW. No plugin, but Windows app.
Just virtual key presses in operating system.

Tropper

Yeah, I thought about send key commands to modeller instead of writing a real plugin. The only downside is that the ipad has no clue in which state modeller is. So the ipad would not know which commands are possible/reasonable at any time.

Anyway, I will try that in the next couple of day. We will see how well this works...

Tropper

Last edited:
Hi,

I had the idea of writing a plugin to use my ipad as control surface for Modeller. So basically I would create an app that runs my IPad, displaying a lot of buttons, each button tap send a message to my lightwave plugin and the plugin trigger the function in Modeller. Thats the basic idea in a nutshell - pretty easy on paper...

Yes, that's doable. Since you're on a Mac, you could use AppleScript. So you'd write an app for the Mac that used AppleScript and one for your iPad that communicated with the Mac app.

You can pass commands to Modeler through AppleScript like this...
tell application "Modeler" to Command ("UNWELD")

As you pointed out you wouldn't be able to get the state of the Modeler app back to the iPad, but you probably wouldn't need it for a lot of things.

On the iPad, you'll need a series of buttons of course, and you'd have to know ahead of time which commands you were going to want to execute. Totally doable though :)

HTH,
-Chilton

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Modeler doesn't have plugin class which is working parallel to Modeler, except Custom Polygon Handler, which is completely different thing.
Such working parallel plugin would have to listen to what device is sending, whatever it is,
and then executing commands.
But it doesn't exist.
List of commands in Modeler is very tight.
LWCommandFunc global is very crash prone, and is available only in Layout.

jeric_synergy

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
I use (W7) a logitech gaming pad, the G13, as a dedicated aux keyboard to run LWM. Additionally, the G13 can record macros, so I can send streams of keypresses to LW/LWM.

Anything that can override/supplement the keyboard function should work-- if there are "remote keyboard" apps for your iPad/Mac combo, they should work, no?

Googling "use ipad as mac keyboard" gets a slurry of hits. GOod luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom