Iron Man - Mark 44 - Render notes

prometheus

REBORN
You mentioned the sun angle and says" it usually should be zero if you want it to be realistic"
that is not the case, the angle for sun should actually be around 0,53 degrees for a cloud and mist free harshl ight shadow spread, that means a slight shadow dispersion smoothness based on the sun´s size and distance.
Both sunsky and the lw 2019 distant light has a default spread of 0,52 degrees

You are also using the lesser realistic preetham model, which Is available for lw 11 and no other skymodel, unless Dpont updated those plugins specificly for lw 11.
with My 2019 I got preetham and Hosek Wilkies, Hosek is the more reallistic one.
in 2020, Lightwave got the nishita model as well, but that I don´t have for lightwave.
In blender however, you can use preetham, hosek or Nishita model if you add skytexture in the color channel of your background.

As for sk sun, it is removed in the plugins for lw 2019 and up, because the basic distant light has those shadow angles, what you may miss though is the latitude and longitude controls, but you can add the skytracer motion plugins for that if you want.

Would be nice if you cleared any color from that metallic look to keep it pure metal, and with scratches and dents and dirt.

Your cpu seem to render it decently fast anyway.
As for the black render of polygons, and double sided, perhaps double sided is needed if the mesh isn´t watertight, otherwise perhaps align polygons in modeler would do it.

Preetham Hosek compare anim..

You mentioned the sun angle and says" it usually should be zero if you want it to be realistic"
that is not the case, the angle for sun should actually be around 0,53
ahh..
cool, i didn't know that.

lesser realistic preetham model
yep. on purpose. just an artistic choice.

if i had the time i'd use something else. but again, an artistic choice.

As for the black render of polygons,
no. this is usually due to Maya or such flipping the polys when exporting to, say, fbx.
a bug / feature they never fixed it seems. it happens to instanced polys converted to pure poly objects, afaik.

Would be nice if you cleared any color from that metallic look to keep it pure metal, and with scratches and dents and dirt.
yeah... time...

thanks for valuable input. good stuff.

prometheus

REBORN
ahh..
cool, i didn't know that.

yep. on purpose. just an artistic choice.

if i had the time i'd use something else. but again, an artistic choice.

no. this is usually due to Maya or such flipping the polys when exporting to, say, fbx.
a bug / feature they never fixed it seems. it happens to instanced polys converted to pure poly objects, afaik.

yeah... time...

thanks for valuable input. good stuff.

Answer shouldn´t be met with no :)
I know some poly flip was in effect, that´s why I said use align in modeler, if you do not need double sided polys, you shouldn´t use it.

Remembe you can test out the other models in blender.

The nishita model is a bit odd in default strength which is 1, and it looks far to strong, usually I turn it down to 0,1.

set backround color to sky texture.jpg
sky model options.jpg

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Just tracked down some models on sketchfab...

Here´s mark 44, gltf, fbx..free to download if you have an account registered and are logged in.

and another style, hulkbuster..

gltf format usually comes in very nicely in blender, but you may have to unpack textures properly for further export if you need that.

Haven´t unpacked but will later and check som rendering speed and reflections etc.
But I have to start to change dayrythm, next week I need to get up earlier for that adobe course I told you about.
Not sure if your vid will actually help me sleep or just inspire me to try the renderings :sleep:

When browsing sketchfab and viewing models, I suggest learn the shortcut "i" which is the model inspector so you can choose vire or full render and other options.
These models seem to be nicely quad modeled.

Last edited:
that they are afaik. not perfect, but good for testing.

Not sure if your vid will actually help me sleep or just inspire me to try the renderings
someone told me i had a radio-voice.
might be.

the sleepy type perhaps.

prometheus

REBORN
Seem to be almost the same model, I also had those black surface renders, and I thought I could fix with align in modeler, but they already are aligned.
Not sure if your model was split in many objects and surfaces?

just a quick check, have´nt started with conductor or pbr materials yet.

as for a voice in the night, don´t think you have a sleepy type voice, it´s perhaps only the lack of speech in between that drags it out a bit, but it´s fine..otherwise go with an emulated voice of Glenn Quagmire, apparently seth founded that voice based on a Radio Commercial speaker in the old days.

Image below..
rendertimes with the simplest surface, and only 4 min cam samples and 12 GI montecarlo bounces/brute force, no depth of field and at 1280x720 res... is around 9.3 seconds.

mark44 standard surf.jpg

prometheus

REBORN
Some night samples anyway.

some slight PBR differences, and end image also a switch to physical sun for temp changes.
Just took an HDR without actually checking the best ones.
Had to set limits for reflection and diffusion, reflection because of glossy surface, and diffusion limits when HDR is involved, it was set to 0.3.

To note, the difference with and without anisotrophy, the difference between a roughness of 45 and 21.
Increased cam samples in the end as well..thus a bit longer rendertimes.

pbr test1.jpg
pbr test2.jpg
pbr test3.jpg
pbr test4.jpg

JamesCurtis

Just tracked down some models on sketchfab...

Here´s mark 44, gltf, fbx..free to download if you have an account registered and are logged in.

and another style, hulkbuster..

gltf format usually comes in very nicely in blender, but you may have to unpack textures properly for further export if you need that.

Haven´t unpacked but will later and check som rendering speed and reflections etc.
But I have to start to change dayrythm, next week I need to get up earlier for that adobe course I told you about.
Not sure if your vid will actually help me sleep or just inspire me to try the renderings :sleep:

When browsing sketchfab and viewing models, I suggest learn the shortcut "i" which is the model inspector so you can choose vire or full render and other options.

Thanks for the links to the models!

prometheus

REBORN
nice examples, decent rendertimes too.

I need a better CPU though, considering mine is a bit old it can still be evaluated as decent perhaps.
Buying a new Computer is probably not possible until a couple of years from now, perhaps 2-3 years, then it really is about time I think, unless I suddenly get
a nice income anytime soon.

Will have to load this scene in blender GPU and compare as well, but I loath the surface panel in blender, and love the surfacing in Lightwave, despite the change they did with pbr surfaces and only access to textures nodally, unlike standard material, they should have brought that back, add a texture in the main pbr panel and it should be automaticly nodally set up and connected.

PBR anisotrophy in Lightwave requires projection node to be connected, or it will show as artifacts, in blender that isn´t the case, of course you could/should perhaps just make a preset with that setup instead of starting from scratch.

prometheus

REBORN
By far speedier in Blender 2,82 alpha, with GPU, for final render at hd resolution compared to Lightwave, also much faster in interactive viewer where it resolves much much faster to give a pretty much instant feedback on the final image, also by far easier to just adjust material with anisotrophy, I actually think it´s both faster easier and looking better with the anisotrophy surfacing in blender.

Now..that was only with backdrop and one light and PBR Material, will have to check HDR.
Also to note, I do not have to wrestle the hotspot fireflies in reflection channels as I did have to adjust with limits in Lightwave.
For diffuse channel I will have to see for the HDR render.

Noise seem to be resolved better, faster in blender.
Pretty much default settings for Sampling.

5.08 sec for final render in cycles, and I don´t think I have to increase samples as much as I have to with lightwave to fix noise and spots etc, thus probably able to get away with less longer rendertimes.

Blender Hulkbuster.jpg

prometheus

REBORN
I forgot to change light, it was set to point light, but doesn´t matter much in rendertime, this one slightly faster..

Gltf format import, so while changing surface, though still different parts, this surface is merged so the objects are using the same surface it seems, making it easier to change all surfaces at once.

Blender Hulkbuster2.jpg

cool, but the details are basically gone.
sometimes the Blender quality looks a bit game-ish.

tons faster tho'...

prometheus

REBORN
cool, but the details are basically gone.
sometimes the Blender quality looks a bit game-ish.

tons faster tho'...

That´s a quick setup with wrong point lights and no hdr, I do not see a direct issue with details gone.
There´s so much you can adress by choosing right HDR and color management, high contrast, exposure and gamma control, and the surface itself of course.
Her´s an HDR lit and reflection image, but it´s not the same for the the two renders.

I could get deeper contrast darkness in cavity areas if I wanted to.
20 sec´s in blender GPU Vs 2 min for the Lightwave renderer, while I still get a cleaner image, and this one als NLM noise removal, while the lightwave one is without.
Same resolution otherwise.

Though cpu in blender with this model would be quite slow compared to the GPU.
So left Blender at 20 sec with noise filtering and lightwave to the right at 2min 14 sec. with no noise removal.
neither surface settings is exactly the same, though just PBR with anisotrophy on both, and distant lights are not the same angle, while same strenght and spread angle, hdr not the same, nor color space management.

Raised samples for blender to 300.

compare.jpg

yes, that's more like it.

an alternative in LightWave, for speed, would be to buy a cheap GPU and put that money into a CPU instead.

still, [B.] wins the render race.

NPR is neat in LightWave 11+ tho'...

prometheus

REBORN
Sample guide, may work also for Lightwave in terms of rougness settings...

Rougness is blurring reflections with rougher surface simulation, no roughness very blank and shiny provided that metallic is at 100%

All the important surface settings is there in the screenshots, if you want shiny chrome robots, no roughness, if you want aluminium droids, a lot of roughness :)

In this sample, even 0,2 is too much roughness if you want to aim for the Lightwave look though.

rougness 0.jpg
rougness 0.2.jpg
rougness 0.4.jpg

Top Bottom