Installation of Windows pre-requisites failed

IMPERIAL

Well.. not much... but i am confused... why do you have c++2008 on your pc?
did it come from an windows update or? if it did..try to find it in add/remover programs and uninstall it....if possible at all.

in windows explorer search for fileaname Microsoft.VC80.OpenMP on your C drive
i have it in mine and SE is working.. if you dont have it.. then ....

try this if you didnt already......http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en
download and try to install....

or
download virtual PC from microsoft site..its free....(or similar software)....
install win home on virtualPC and dont update anything...just install chipset drivers....and then try to install speededit.

it wont ruin your windows instalation..its just a good way to experiment if something will work or not.

VideoBob2000

NLE Pro / New to VT[4/5]
Yes, tech support sent me to that link, and it failed to install just the same. While there, I saw the newer 2008 update, and installed that, hoping Speed Edit would like that one, but no dice, either.

Virtual PC? Where?

jidegold

Any answers to this problem?

I have exactly the same issue when trying to install my SE on a Windows XP Professiona SP2.

I am unable to continue with the installation beacuse of this.

mncallen

I'm having same problem

I am having the same problem, got Ver. 1.5 this morning and tried to run the install and get the same problem "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor (NEWTEK??) to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package"

If I press OK then it appears to complete the installation, Installing DirectX runtime .... it extracts the files, Updates my system and Creates Third Party Driver list etc. etc. Ends with Restart Computer which I have done but when I try to run it... won't start..... HELP!!! Maybe Newtek has a problem with the latest Windows updates. YES I have XP Pro Service Pak 2, I use this computer to run my Avid Liquid 7 editor ... no problems running the program

Gordon

UniSon
Hi Bob;
Long time no see.

Sorry to hear that you're having so much of a problem with something that is normally so easy. However, I think that you are correct in that it requires XP Pro and not XP Home.

Here's a long shot; have you tried XP SP3? You can download XP SP3 RC2 from here:
http://tinyurl.com/6z4s8g

I installed SP3 RC2 on my VT[5] machine and it is running better (especially streaming) and the VT[5] SpeedEDIT is still working. I know it's not exactly the same but it shouldn't hurt. (The official release of XP SP3 is on Tuesday if you want to wait for the official version.)

KiloWatkins

If a VT can run on XP Home, I'm not able to test SE on XP Home. Is it the original XP Home of 5-6 years ago, of the NEW XP Home, installed on NEW 2-4 cores?

1. What is this PC? Celeron?
2. What is the GPU? OnBoard?
3. Is this machine updated to NetFrameWorks 2.x?
4. What is the installer version, 3.0 or 3.1?

Gordon

UniSon
SE on XP Home?

Can we have a technical position on this from the NewTek team please.
Actually, if anyone, not just someone at NewTek, has SE running on XP home, I would be interested in knowing the details of which version, what service packs, constantly updated with auto update or just manual updates. I would be especially interested in knowing if SE run on a fresh install of XP Home with no updates applied. There must be someone other than VideoBob that has tried SE on XP Home.

KiloWatkins

There must be someone other than VideoBob that has tried SE on XP Home.

I would bet the NEW version of XP Home for NEW hardware to handel SE just fine. The old version, 16/32, would need updated to handle 32/64 + Vista, where the hardware is lesser in min.Newtek specs. As I posted befor, this 4.5 year old SSE machine will not install and run SE. XP Pro SP2+Vista updates, 2.4AMD 64megGPU

More PC info and XP Home version please. Tech support was likely trying to help, but they are there for Newtek products, and minimal OS support.

jidegold

XP Professional

Actually, if anyone, not just someone at NewTek, has SE running on XP home, I would be interested in knowing the details of which version, what service packs, constantly updated with auto update or just manual updates. I would be especially interested in knowing if SE run on a fresh install of XP Home with no updates applied. There must be someone other than VideoBob that has tried SE on XP Home.

I have XP professional with SP2 and SE still will not install. This is realy vey frustrating for me.

Also when trying to register SE, the newtek site is asking for a product ID where will i find this/ (not the serial number)

Scott Bates

Just Tryin' To Help...
FWIW I'm running SpeedEDIT v1.5.1 on XP Home:

Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
Manual Windows updates, but I usually take what's there.

HP Pavilion Laptop - zv6005US
AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3200+
997 MHz, 1.25 GB of RAM
80 GB Internal 5,400 RPM IDE HD
External 320 GB Western Digital IDE USB/Firewire HD, 7,200 RPM IDE used for A/V files

This laptop is not my "production machine", it's my "general purpose 'desktop'" that's used for everything else from email, web, wordprocessing, home & business accounting, DVD printing, etc., etc.. All of the above was installed prior to the appearance of SE v1.0 and since I ended up with two SE seats I decided to try one of them here.

Because this system is underpowered for SE it's not fast, it bogs down and I can't push it too far, but it does work as long as I don't expect too much from it. I've rough-cut a few personal projects on it and then transferred the A/V and project files to my VT[5] PIV dual Xeon workstation for finishing. That system was built for VT[3] and is getting pretty long in the tooth, but that's another story.

My second SE v1.5.1 seat is on my wife's XP Pro SP2 Core 2 Duo Dell laptop (1.8 GHz procs with 2 GB RAM) and it runs much better there.

In both SE cases I had no problem getting them installed and they run stable.

jidegold - each time I've registered any of these (SE & VT[5]) the first time I start them after the install they come up with the registration requester with contains the Product ID for the respective machine, which is the way it's supposed to work, I think. In a previous version of VT there was a utility in the Start menu that would give you the ID, but I think that got dropped some time back and I haven't seen it in SpeedEDIT (but haven't looked).

Good Luck.

Gordon

UniSon
FWIW I'm running SpeedEDIT v1.5.1 on XP Home:
Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
Manual Windows updates, but I usually take what's there.
My second SE v1.5.1 seat is on my wife's XP Pro SP2 Core 2 Duo Dell laptop (1.8 GHz procs with 2 GB RAM) and it runs much better there.

In both SE cases I had no problem getting them installed and they run stable.
That's how it is with most systems, so now we need to figure out why a few are having problems.

VideoBob and jidegold
The easiest and least expensive way, (time and money), to start to troubleshoot is to get a new hard drive, ($59 for 160 GB Seagate), and install Windows XP from the CD on that drive. (Use an actual generic WinXP install CD not one of those customized OEM versions that are often included with the PC or laptop - even if you have to borrow one from somebody - use your legal XP serial number, the sticker is usually attached to the back or bottom of the computer.)

Make this new drive the boot drive and install SE on it and then report back to us. If it works then the problem is not with your hardware but something was missing from the OS in your WinXP on the original boot drive.

Gordon

UniSon
I forgot to mention that after installing Windows OS again, you will have to install your drivers and you will need the original CDs that came with your motherboard and graphics card. Hold back installing other devices and their drives at this point.

In fact I take out any other hardware that was installed just to have the system at a bare bones state. I first get SE, (or VT, LightWave, etc.) working and then I start to add the other hardware and device drivers back in.

Also make sure that any drivers you install are certified.

Microsoft said:
Finding Compatible Device Drivers for Windows XP
hardware compatibility issues continue to be among the top questions facing Windows XP users. Because there is a wider variety of hardware in existence than ever before, and because more users are building their own systems, piecing together hardware in unique combinations.
This is from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/russel_02october14.mspx

Here are a few other tips for speeding up this process.
1. Start with a small boot partition to install Windows - 15 GB, NTFS.
2. Make the rest of the drive another NTFS partition and 'fast format' it. This is used to store your back ups in the next step.
3. 'Ghost' it every step of the way so that if you do install something and it breaks it will only take 6 minutes to restore. Backups of this small partition take about 3 minutes and take less than 4GB of space, restores take a bit longer because you have to boot off the Ghost CD and this take 3 minutes alone. Still this is way better than re-installing from scratch again.
4. Don't trust Windows 'Restore Points'; they simply are not reliable.

IndigoBleue

I'm also wondering if it is a Windows Update issue ... I have spent 4 days trying to install SE and am VERY frustrated. I tried installing on 2 updated computers. And I tried the internet download version with the same problems. I finally went to a computer I used to use in my department that is not set to receive automatic updates and did the internet download version (I was also afraid that something with the DVD was affecting my computers because I had problems AFTER trying to install SE with other things) ... and that DID work (but it's not on the computer I need)! So ... I'm trying to figure out some sort of solution, too.

IndigoBleue

Another Sufferer Here ...

I have spent 4 days trying to install SE and am having the same problems. I am wondering if this is just a very recent problem? I have spent A LOT of time on old with NewTek support. I have spoken with 2 people - the first gave me something to try that didn't work. The 2nd, a supervisor, basically said he was unfamiliar with the problem and offered no help to try and find the problem - just told me to talk to Microsoft. My local rep has helped me with several things to try, but so far nothing is working.

I bought SpeedEDIT to save time ... but with the time I'm wasting just to get this working, I might as well be on my Mac with Final Cut Pro!:thumbsdow

KiloWatkins

Do you have a second Seagate or WD drive? Did you clone the OS/programs as a backup? This would be best, so you have the updated drive still on your system to try the following.

Updates are basic Vista64 compatability. Goto Add and Remove programs, and remove SP2. Be sure NO AVirus is running and try the install. Since seeing several install problems, TSuport is for Newtek products, where OS issues are really not their job, just like the T/F and Amiga OS problems.

YMMV, if you don't have a drive you can clone to switch in BIOS or on new PC's F12 at bootup. If you do remove SP2, restart the system befor looking at instlling SE. I would even turn off your web connection.

GoodLuck

mncallen

Install Problem update?? sorta

I spoke with Tech Support and they said that the problem installing is a very recent problem and probably stems from a Windows update that has happened recently. Though I did a Restore to late March and I get the same error message. The link they gave me to fix it didn't work and I've let them know... funny thing though the Content Disc installed with NO problems.

They told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it.

KiloWatkins

They told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it.

Well, they will certainly have more than just this one!

If you remove SP2, Install SE, goto M$ and reinstall SP2. Pretty simple.

GoodLuck

John Perkins

NewTek Staff
We have heard of this problem, but we have not yet seen a system in house that can reproduce it.

If you are having this problem, please download this file, unzip it and try to run it. ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/vcredist_x86_2.0.50727.762.zip

I'm not trying to pass the buck, but this is Microsofts installer failing, not our own.

We do launch their installer from ours, but we have no control over what their installer does. We are grateful for any help that you can give us in finding a way to resolve the problem though.

This is a slightly different version of the Microsoft installer, so feedback from users with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Top Bottom