importing from a dvd

Randall Chesbro

In dws it say to imort from dvd. So I burnd dvd on a ext Panasonic recorder at 2hr10min . I brought it into DWs and put new chapters in it and seems ok,
My qustion is if the video has been converted to mpeg in another program like tempeg or other. what should the setup be when burning to dvd. that same 2hr10min video shows up as only 2.0 gigs in the burn project to disk window at 1 hr mode. does this mean its recompressing again?
i see its burning alot faster but i just didnt know about dettings for something already converted.

RayLarson

Toasterholic
I have been trying to use the video encoded by my Panasonic DVD recorder in DVDWS SE but when I do it comes into the program as 5 min chapters. I simply want all the video. Is there a setting that I have set wrong? It is really irritating to try and piece a 2hr video together after ripping it just to make a fancy menu. Any and all ideas, tips, tweaks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

bradl

Are We There Yet?
The 5 minute chapter points with stand alone burners is usually a default setting. Look in the Pana menus and see if you can't set long chapters or none at all for the next time.

RayLarson

Toasterholic
No change in the Panasonic Burner so 5 min chapters are set in stone. DVDWS may have some setting to put them all in one playback title. If I use "play all titles" there is a visible transition between chapters when it plays. I'll keep looking for a solution...Thanks

JReble

I take my VT with 2 lumps
FWIW...most standalone DVD burners do not mark the chapters until the dvd is finalized. In some cases you may be able to use the DVD data from the disc in your computer's dvd rom drive prior to finalizing. Unfortunatley in some case or applications you cannot.

I really wish the auto 5 min chapter feature could be turned off. It would make it very easy and quick to record the DVDs in realtime then bring into DVDWS for authoring. ALthough the quality may not be as good as doing it in TMPGEnc, the time savings for most event projects would be great!

RayLarson

Toasterholic
Even though TMpeg is a great encoder, using the VOB files from my standalone are comparable and save 75% of my time. Once I can get by the 5 min chapter situation I plan to do all my long form encoding that way, if possible. If my DVD ROM will read the VOB files without chapters before finalizing I will be a happy camper. :eek:

Al Harmon

Try using a DVD RAM disc

I also suffered nightmares with the 5 min chapters and my panasonic standalone and DVD-WS. I had by accident purchased a 4 pack of DVD-RAM discs from Walmart for about $4.00 each and guess what. The panasonic standalone records on these as one continuous file, unless you want chapters. Simply thansfer this file to your computer hard drive, change the extension to .mpg and import into DVD-WS as one file - magic, problem solved, no audio problems, quality perfect. I hope this helps someone. I love simple cheap fixes.

RayLarson

Toasterholic
Unfortunately my DVD drive won't read DVD-RAM discs or I would love that fix. I may try it anyway.....I've been disappointed before.

Al Harmon

use DVD burner

My DVD drive on the computer will not read DVD-RAM but the pioneer burner on it will read the DVD-RAM.

Al Harmon said:
I also suffered nightmares with the 5 min chapters and my panasonic standalone and DVD-WS. I had by accident purchased a 4 pack of DVD-RAM discs from Walmart for about $4.00 each and guess what. The panasonic standalone records on these as one continuous file, unless you want chapters. Simply thansfer this file to your computer hard drive, change the extension to .mpg and import into DVD-WS as one file - magic, problem solved, no audio problems, quality perfect. I hope this helps someone. I love simple cheap fixes.

Thanks I will give that a try!!

Do they make rewritable DVD-RAM discs?

RayLarson

Toasterholic
DVD-RAM's are all re-writable. I have a new external 16X NEC 3500ag that won't read DVD-RAM but I do have a Pioneer A04 in the computer. I will have to see if that will read the DVD-RAM

RayLarson

Toasterholic
You cannot finalize a DVD-RAM that I am aware of. DVD-RAM is a rewritable format that is compatible with Panasonic recorders and a few others.

RayLarson

Toasterholic
Unfortunately neither of my DVD drives will recognize a DVD-RAM. Only my standalone will read it. Guess I am out of luck.

Randall Chesbro

is this a prooven fact that if i get a dvd burner. like the pioneer 09 then i can do burn to dvd ram on an exturnal then read it on the pioneer and bring it in to DWs?

Al Harmon

import from DVD

All I can tell you is that it works very well on my system. This is the only acceptable way that I have found to place our videos onto DVD's with a menu. I use a Panasonic stand-alone and a Pioneer burner on my toaster system. Burn the original from Toaster edit onto the Panasonic using Y/C output and DVD RAM then place the DVD RAM into the burner, import the .vob file onto a hard drive and change the extension to .mpg then import into DVD Workshop as one large file. I have worked with one hour long programs without any problems. I then burn the DVD out to a hard drive as an .iso file and then burn it onto the Pioneer burner using the other Ulead program for video and burning or you could just burn out to a blank DVD.

Randall Chesbro

Well I found a pioneer burner and tryed it out and it worked. i didnt have to rename anything .i just puld the folder of the dvd ram and onto the HD , loaded into dws just fine. now if they can get the size to match so we know how big the project is it would help.
thanks for the help. randyc

Top Bottom