• Dear NewTek ( now Vizrt) community,
    We are merging and updating our forum to join it with the Vizrt Forum. Here's what you need to know:
    All existing threads, posts, knowledge articles, and user accounts will be seamlessly migrated.
    Once the merge is completed, the old forums will no longer be accessible.
    We are making this move to unite our Vizrt and NewTek forums, creating a new, enhanced experience for our community members and technology users.
    We will notify you once the change has been made and the new forum is live.
    Thank you for your continued support in our growing community!

Impact of Windows 11 on potential Newtek sales?

With the announcement of Windows 11 and therefore the scaling back of Windows 10 support in the coming years what might be the timespan before Newtek update products to reflect this update in O/S? Will there be an option for a free upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 for any products purchased in the near future or is there a risk of being left high and dry buying a system this year that might be redundant in 12 to 24 months?

I'm thinking more on the fact that current Newtek hardware is based around Win 10 and if these aren't upgradable to 11 then its tough to expect users to invest in hardware with only a short life.

"redundant" or "obsolete"?

It is rare that any business would make forward looking statements regarding compatibility with a future product of another company (Microsoft). You might look to the history of any company to guess the future. Imagine this question years ago and what became the obvious answer:

With the announcement of Windows and therefore the scaling back of Amiga support in the coming years what might be the timespan before Newtek update products to reflect this update in O/S? Will there be an option for a free upgrade from Amiga to Windows?

NewTek products are built on long term supported version of Windows 10 (LTSB/LTSC/Enterprise). No system that is purchased today will have Microsoft support dropped in the next 12 to 24 months, there would be many years of OS support.

We don't even know when Windows 11 will be released and what new all features it offers, the official announcement isn't until June 24th.

Retirement is subjective; the OS will continue to work, but Microsoft won't continue to support it with updates or security patches.

That said, I'm not sure what Windows 11 could break at this point that would cause Lightwave to stop working. Modeler and Layout are both C and C++ programs respectively, so they will continue to work, as evidenced by some users continuing to use Lightwave 9.6 even today.

Now, GPU drivers... they will break Lightwave in a heartbeat. If Newtek / vizrt has interest in keeping Lightwave going (questionable) they need to address the OpenGL issue LW 2019 Layout is having with nvidia 30XX cards.

Then maybe they could address the bugs in LW 2020.

Thank you all for your replies, Kane very useful posts. We have to be realistic that our asking for large capital spends for a new Tricaster is unlikely to be well received if we can only use it for a short time. I quite understand that no one has a crystal ball when it comes to knowing when to go forward on an idea or when to hold.

Why could you only use it for a short time. The equipment will still work as intended. I have a 460 AE V2, still works just fine.

As far as I know the 460 is based around Windows 7 O/S, our IT department have told us that it is not safe to attach it to the network as it poses a "security threat". I agree it works fine but we aren't able to use it to its full potential any more.

To be honest, your IT department could quite easily put it on its own network and you'd be fine. My previous employer did this with their 8000 when MS dropped OS support. They had to conform to HIPAA so security was no joke. The initial question about W11 is a good one to ask, though. That same employer was not aware that MS was going to drop support for the OS shortly after it was purchased.

As far as I know the 460 is based around Windows 7 O/S, our IT department have told us that it is not safe to attach it to the network as it poses a "security threat". I agree it works fine but we aren't able to use it to its full potential any more.
Don't believe the IT department. They're being lazy.

Back
Top Bottom