Image sequence time shift node

Boris Goreta

Is it possible to have one image loop sequence loaded and texture every object in the scene with this sequence but randomly shifted in time ?

dwburman

I've been thinking about something similar. I'd like to be able to offset the start frame on several objects (or just several surfaces) in a non-random manner.

When I did this experiment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_OpC1pdZgc I had to save out a separate frame sequence for each card.

Also, I'd like to be able to control which frame gets shown based on the position of a null or the object itself. You could then have a series of cross-section images mapped to a plane and as you move the plane, you'd see the cross section for that position.

I don't know how possible any of this is, but I'd find those capabilities useful.

Dodgy

Worms no more! Free fun!
I haven't seen anything in the SDK about current time for image sequences,so I'm guessing not,though this would really really be handy....

Medi8or

incurable dumbass
I'd like an image sequence without any time or frame settings at all. I'd like an image node, pretty much as it is now, but with an extra integer input, where I can choose which image in the sequence to use.
If someone wants to mix time into it, plug a time node into that input..

spiroz

Almost newbier
I've wanted such funtionality for some time too, to texture boolean cuts with "animated" texture slices, etc..
However, I think it's not the trivial task it may sound like.
My guess is that you would need access to the full uncompressed video all the time,
which would not mean much for shorter clips but would add up pretty quick.

I guess that it would be possible to add such functionality to a plugin like
InfiniMap with a conversion of the video to the wavelet format it uses.

Lightwolf

obfuscated SDK hacker
My guess is that you would need access to the full uncompressed video all the time, which would not mean much for shorter clips but would add up pretty quick.
Absolutely. And the plugin would also need to handle all the image sequence/video functionality natively (except for loading the actual image files... but stuff like finding a sequence etc...). And also need to completely mimic the image mapping node.
It's not a hard thing... but quite elaborate and time intensive to do. Especially if you want to do it properly (i.e. let all nodes share the same set of loaded images... don't re-load images that have been used in the last frame etc...).
I guess that it would be possible to add such functionality to a plugin like InfiniMap with a conversion of the video to the wavelet format it uses.
Now that you mention it ;) Actually, I've had a few ideas for V2.0 in mind for ages now, and one of them is image sequence support.
As a plus, infiniMap shares the image data amongst all plugins that use it (i.e. multiple instances of a node/texture layer/shader). Something that LW does with native images as well.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf

obfuscated SDK hacker
A few more things to ponder on (and a few reasons as to why it isn't as trivial as it sounds):
Node inputs are evaluated per surface sample... which also means that theoretically every spot on a durface could use a different source time of the image sequence... a different image (which can lead to memory usage nightmares).
Add multi-threading to the equation (which would be a problem if two threads need to load the same image at the same time while rendering)...
And if you actually want to animate it then at least some frame blending would be nice to have as well.

Fun :D

Cheers,
Mike

dpont

I added an Image Map node in the x32 version of DP Kit,
it mimics the native LW Image node,
with a Time and Frame input, for varying time (speed or offset)
or picking one image of an image sequence.

Limitations:
-Image evaluation take account of the global settings
in the Image Editor for the selected image sequence.
-Frame input takes account of frame rate in General Setting.
-Mimap option and Falloff not available.
-Bump slightly different from LW Image node.
-Time and Frame input can be modified only for full rendered frame,
not per pixel.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Denis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom