If lightwave would finally stop development, how could easily people keep improving its tools or even adding new ones?

inakito

If lightwave would finally stop development, how could easily people keep improving its tools or even adding new ones?

I've seen in different hardware music tools people creating non official updates and improoving current existing operative system and I wonder how difficult would it be to make it happen with Lightwave 3D?

raymondtrace

Founding member
Your title is better typed: "As NewTek has stopped marketing and development of LightWave, how do people keep improving its tools or add new ones?"

That is what lscript, python and compiled plugins have been and continue to be...even as NewTek abandons LW.

For current development, look at my signature.

slacer

Do you all use a physical dongle just in case they shutdown the license service? This would scare me...

stevmjon

i thought that downloading the licence means you don't need the dongle? just drag and drop the licence file...
when you drag and drop the licence file, is it checked online before it activates? if so that is a worry.

it would be great for people to keep updating lightwave. i really hope this does happen one day.
i am interested in how much can people modify lightwave with sdk, lscript etc. or do these only let you add a new tool?
editing the current code to fix bugs is what people really want i think.

raymondtrace

Founding member
Someone recently hinted that the LW licensing uses an "allow, then deny" scheme, as opposed to the "deny, then allow" scheme used by companies like Adobe. The intent may be to simply prevent more than one instance of a LW license from running on a network (or internet). This would need to be tested with a fresh OS and a fresh LW install...disconnected from the internet.

Of course, I'm still hanging on to my dongle.

i thought that downloading the licence means you don't need the dongle? just drag and drop the licence file...
when you drag and drop the licence file, is it checked online before it activates? if so that is a worry.
One of my older workstations is a Windows 7 system. Our firewall is setup to allow it full accesss to the local net but completely blocked from the internet. So, there's no way it can ever contact license servers on the internet. I've done fresh installs of Win 7 & Lightwave (2015 & 2019) on this system a few times & the license key always works fine.

I do have the USB Lightwave dongle, but I rarely use it. Actually, the only time I use it is if I want to run a Lightwave version on two machines at the same time. Lightwave's license code will let me do this so long as one of the systems has the dongle inserted.

I believe these license limitations are version dependent. That is, I can run 2015 on one system and 2019 on another without a dongle. Probably would be more compatible to run 2015 on one system & 11.6.3 on another but I've never tested this.

Also, assuming the system has a working activated license, Lightwave will run on the system if it is completely disconnected from the network. Yep, even though it cannot check if another instance of the licensed version is running someplace.

It's never been clear to me exactly how Lightwave's license code handles the instance checks over the network. I'd think it would rely on some sort of UDP broadcast - but that would mean potential problems if all licensed systems are not on the same subnet (broadcast packets typically do not traverse subnets...).

Tim Parsons

I don't think any communication ever goes to a NT server. You have a license key and you are good to go forever. If it were any different LW wouldn't run at our company as we are locked down big time behind all kinds of proxy servers and schemes.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Someone recently hinted that the LW licensing uses an "allow, then deny" scheme, as opposed to the "deny, then allow" scheme used by companies like Adobe. The intent may be to simply prevent more than one instance of a LW license from running on a network (or internet). This would need to be tested with a fresh OS and a fresh LW install...disconnected from the internet.

Of course, I'm still hanging on to my dongle.

As I understand it, the dongle is pretty much for older plugs tied to it. I'm not sure what I have that really needs these days really as I've the dongle on the workstation & don't swap it out to the laptop. Other than that, not needed.

Now on the issue of running multiple copies of LW, that be a different topic. I can attest that unless you've a separate license, the next instance of Lightwave launched will run in Discovery mode. I occasionally get reminded when I forget & try to launch either Layout or Modeler with the laptop & the workstation is already running. I get around if needed by simply turning off wireless on the laptop.

It's curious that I can see the laptop across the local net from the workstation, but not the other way. Can't find what it thinks is not being shared. So, if I need to transfer, I just do it from the workstation side. My brother is MS certified & he can't figure it out either. Wonder if between Win 10 & 11 if things will improve.

Lightwave on the other hand knows all & sees all.

TheLexx

I'm a bit puzzled by talk of LW communicating with a server, as I thought it was totally offline and didn't "call home" at all...

slacer

If I start LightWave on my Macbook and it is still running on my PC, I get a message that I should buy an additional license and LightWave on the Macbook starts in discovery mode. So I thought the license server at Newtek was still relevant if I don't use a dongle.

TheLexx

If I start LightWave on my Macbook and it is still running on my PC, I get a message that I should buy an additional license and LightWave on the Macbook starts in discovery mode. So I thought the license server at Newtek was still relevant if I don't use a dongle.

Wowzers. Are the two machines connected up in any way ? I might be wrong but I think that would be a case of LW recognising its own product lock on a local setup than going to NT server. I was going by the moment 7m 12s in a previous official LW presentation.

slacer

Maybe it is just a network broadcast thing and it doesn't really went to NT services. I did not check the network traffic.
But a network discovery service via bonjour or other technologies could be used locally.

slacer

Back to the topic then.
The SDK is still available for developers and as long as LightWave runs on new OS versions, I don’t see any problems here.
We could get importers for new filetypes, new addons for modeler and layout.
Nothing has changed here.

Developers could add new features but not fix broken ones.
A new replacement feature could be added and the menu configuration allows to just swap those functions.
This would allow the artist to use a similar feature without the need to learn a new way of doing it.

Last edited:

TheLexx

The talent is there but it is down to diminishing returns. There are some indie devs left, but for example Rebelhill has walked away and who can really blame him ? I think it is down to us "average Joes" learning Python and sharing/selling what we know, like Ryan Roye did. :)

inakito

Back to the topic then.
The SDK is still available for developers and as long as LightWave runs on new OS versions, I don’t see any problems here.
We could get importers for new filetypes, new addons for modeler and layout.
Nothing has changed here.

Developers could add new features but not fix broken ones.
A new replacement feature could be added and the menu configuration allows to just swap those functions.
This would allow the artist to use a similar feature without the need to learn a new way of doing it.
Wow that's sounds pretty neat, doesn't it? And big thanks for re directing the post ;)

inakito

Therefore my question, how many programmers did Lightwave3D had before being purchased by Vizrt? :) And 2018 and 2020 were pretty fantastic versions I reckon :)

raymondtrace

Founding member
Can we just get back to the thread? Licensing and dongles may deserve another posts "slacer" :/
The question about dongles and licensing is more directly related to the topic than you may imagine. If users cannot run the software because of licensing issues, what third party people could keep improving its tools or even adding new ones? What third party developers would be interested in a dwindling LW market and an unstable development environment?

Third party development for Mac LW users is already at a large disadvantage because of the extra resources required to keep up with Apple's moving targets. Modern Mac users are limited to LW 2018 or newer. Only Windows users can run LightWave versions from the past 20 years.

I put the devs in my signature to help others grab plugins before they disappear. This list will get smaller unless NewTek markets and develops LW. (Recognize that they have not marketed LW since the 2015 release.) To NewTek, it's been on its deathbed since 2015.

Therefore my question, how many programmers did Lightwave3D had before being purchased by Vizrt? :) And 2018 and 2020 were pretty fantastic versions I reckon :)

The "About" screen of your LW software shows the list of programmers. Use LinkedIn to see who might be left.

Top Bottom