Human Progress

Tobian

Amazing! Shame you can't get 'Skin' to work properly, with the self-intersection bug. LW isn't terribly good at handling volumes.

geo_n

Amazing realism. :thumbsup:

Reminds me of the cool sniper in Jack Reacher

phillydee

Ninja Troll
Man... firstly: AWESOME. I lurk on the forums daily, but don't do much to contribute. However... I did have something to add to what you said here:
The main drawback is that it renders black in VPR. Despite this (and the crippled caustics and frangible FFX), LW has been a bit more cooperative this time around. I also reshaped the head and improved the brows and lashes a bit.
1) It would be SO GREAT to get a few tidbits on how you got Sigma2 to appear SO DAMN GOOD as skin and

2) 4WIW, getting Sigma2 to show up on VPR would be just really great, NT.

Just sayin'...

Awesome stuff as always

bobakabob

Robert Ireland
Goodbye uncanny valley. Keep pushing the boundaries, Chris. At some point this guy is going to walk out of the screen.

Heheh thanks.

Render time was 4 hours. That's not all down to SSS though; FFX slows it down considerably, and it really crawls over the brows and lashes (which are geometry). I can reduce this quite a bit with negligible degradation, as long as I'm only doing stills...

Here's the Sigma2 part of the network:

sigma2_skin_nodes.jpeg

prometheus

REBORN
Absolutely...Stunning!

Soo awesome...though I hope we soon can get improvements on VPR to show exactly the same as what the final render does, with all the skin materials and the rest of SSS shaders/materials.
Maybe that could have helped you getting to this even faster etc.

Thanks for showing it to us and giving a way some of the workflow.

Michael

MSherak

I was fiddling around with Sigma2, and found that not only does it behave in a more skin-like fashion than Simple Skin, but it also allows control over reflection blur, doesn't require a closed mesh, and displays none of that unsightly intersection glow. So now I've covered his whole head with it:

The main drawback is that it renders black in VPR. Despite this (and the crippled caustics and frangible FFX), LW has been a bit more cooperative this time around. I also reshaped the head and improved the brows and lashes a bit.

Holy *&^%!!! Fantastic work Chris.

jasonwestmas

Adapting Artist
I was fiddling around with Sigma2, and found that not only does it behave in a more skin-like fashion than Simple Skin, but it also allows control over reflection blur, doesn't require a closed mesh, and displays none of that unsightly intersection glow. So now I've covered his whole head with it:

View attachment 121826

The only things that destroy the illusion of realism is the consistent skin color around the eye socket area and lack of definition in the nose. Really nice regardless.

I would be surprised if you don't get flickering when you do a turntable of this. Sigma 2 is one of those prepass nodes. I never got an answer on whether or not they were designed for animation but I could never get them to not flicker (few years back) Perhaps the original sigma would render better.

Netvudu

Senior Constrictor
Yes,as awesome as this render is, the fact the Chris is using Sigma 2 makes me skeptical about the flickering it will show in render.
At any rate this project is a milestone for Lightwave.

Top Bottom