Human Progress

bobakabob

Robert Ireland
Chris's video is not far off a million views on YouTube. Phenomenal achievement. I'm sure LW3DG will make the most of this combination of raw talent and Lightwave transcending uncanny valley and address the R&D issues Chris outlined in his posts.

I only regret not having fixed some glaring issues (at least the ones I can fix) before I let it out of the bag... maybe I should have spelled out W.I.P. a bit more clearly. :D Certainly can't complain though, I'm still a little shell shocked by all the attention this last test has been generating (reddit seems to be what kicked it into high gear on day 1).

What are you looking like for renders times per frame (average) on this last go?

About 45 - 65 mins per frame on my Quad Core (25 - 45 on the new i5 I was borrowing).

It shouldn't be that difficult...

It shouldn't, but I tried those tricks... I'm pretty sure it's the interference from the bones/weight maps that are upsetting things. I might have a look at Mask Morph Copy next time around, although the process is already getting too convoluted (I need it to be easily reproducible for making new characters).

Yes. It's a bug that I always felt could be useful in the right circumstance, but never found that circumstance. It's easy to see and test by "Freezing" the geometry in modeler.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

There's a difference between a weightmap existing on a vertex at 0% value, and that map not being applied to a vertex at all. It matters in terms of bone influence, and classic texturing methods, but there is no such distinction in nodal.

There's not much going on with the lashes and brows texture-wise so I just used the surface editor for them... could that have been a mistake? [Sorry I haven't had a chance to test RHiggit2 some more by the way - I've been somewhat preoccupied...]

Have you had a chat with any of the LightWave Group about the highs and lows in the workflow of getting to this level?

Not as such; just trying to identify/describe the problems is very taxing. I've tried to save myself the trouble by articulating them here to some degree, in the hopes that a LW3DG person might happen upon this thread. ;) Some of the problems are obstructing progress now though, so it might be time for me to put my hand up.

Thanks again for all the compliments!

lardbros

Not so newbie member
Chris's video is not far off a million views on YouTube. Phenomenal achievement. I'm sure LW3DG will make the most of this combination of raw talent and Lightwave transcending uncanny valley and address the R&D issues Chris outlined in his posts.

To be honest... I think most of those views are mine... But a million views is very good in this timeframe! Well done Chris!
By a long shot, the best eye animation I've ever seen! Gobsmacked... And love that it's not just down to the tools, but extreme creative talent and perseverance!

Danner

Pixel Mage
I can't help but wonder how much better this would be if Chris was using a 16 core workstation and 10x 3930 renderfarm like I am..

MarcusM

I don't know if you read on other thread but yesterday i saw your animation in polish tv news :)

You should get nice workstation from LW3DG for promoting LW!
They should offer you this if you put some info on the end of movie :]

Last edited:

Matt

Valiant NewTeKnight
I hope LW3DG use your work as a case study for resolving the issues as you really are pushing LW to the limit both artistically and technically.

I agree with this too... I hope LW Group are helping him, but I don't think they are.

Made sure the developers are notified of these issues. We're very aware of Chris' fantastic work, and of course we would like to solve any issues he (or anyone for that matter) has.

m.d.

Just saw a story on this on discovery channel's daily planet (Canada)
They mentioned lightwave as well.

Good job Chris

villacis23

holy.....! one of the best cg renders i've seen up to date. ! are you ever coming out with a tutorial specially when it comes to applying the maps. even a pdf will be amazing!> i can't wait for the finish version!>

lardbros

Not so newbie member
Made sure the developers are notified of these issues. We're very aware of Chris' fantastic work, and of course we would like to solve any issues he (or anyone for that matter) has.

Well... There you go, they will be helping him/us now! Thanks Matt

i don't know if you read on other thread but yesterday i saw your animation in polish tv news

:eek:

Thanks Matt!

Just saw a story on this on discovery channel's daily planet (Canada)

:eek: ...although I shouldn't be surprised really, they did ask me for permission the other day. ;)

are you ever coming out with a tutorial specially when it comes to applying the maps. even a pdf will be amazing!

We'll see, although I'm getting increasingly swamped with things to do...

prometheus

REBORN
It keeps on going viral...a swedish site called creativetools which are retailers of printers such as makerbot and several other printers and pro printers, and they are also retailer of 3dmax,cinema4d,maya,rhino..they
have noticed the great work of chris jones and have it on their blog now...
http://www.creativetools.se/blog/4333-mycket-verklighetstroget-3d-oga

No mention directly in their blog about Lightwave though...I think they might have mentioned it if they actually were retailers of Lightwave, I have asked why no lightwave in their sales? and they said
they have spoken to newtek about it, but didn´t get clarification to be a retailer for it...newtek didn´t want that.

I was fiddling around with Sigma2, and found that not only does it behave in a more skin-like fashion than Simple Skin, but it also allows control over reflection blur, doesn't require a closed mesh, and displays none of that unsightly intersection glow. So now I've covered his whole head with it:

Head B 2y 2 (3h 55m).jpeg

The main drawback is that it renders black in VPR. Despite this (and the crippled caustics and frangible FFX), LW has been a bit more cooperative this time around. I also reshaped the head and improved the brows and lashes a bit.

Kaptive

Written on your tomb stone...

"Chris Jones made everyone look bad at 3D.
Death via animators with pitchforks."

:) Have an internet hug, because that is pretty damn amazing. Very well done... not much else I can say really.

Top Bottom