How to Stop NDI Traffic Going Over Dante Network

ievgeniilarin

Disclaimer​

I’m not a network engineer and I don’t pretend that I understand why things work like they do. I’ve been trying to find how to use computers with multiple NICs connected to multiple physical networks or VLANs with NDI and Dante for quite a while.

Setup​

You want to run two different networks handling two different types of sources: NDI (video) and Dante (audio).

You have NDI devices that access only the NDI network and you have Dante devices that access only the Dante network. And you have computers with multiple dedicated NICs for accessing each network.

A typical setup might involve multiple vMix stations sharing NDI sources and accessing Dante-enabled audio gear. Each vMix station has two network adapters: one for NDI and one for Dante.

Problem​

Everything is great until you monitor network traffic on vMix PCs. For some reason NDI traffic is polluting the Dante network. In such a situation Dante might work unreliably.

Dante uses standard Voice over IP Quality of Service switch features to prioritize clock sync and audio traffic over other network traffic, but for NDI Quality of Service should be disabled all together. Mixing NDI and Dante multicast traffic in one network is not recommended.

Dante Virtual Soundcard has an explicit option for choosing what NIC is used for Dante traffic. NDI Access Manager has nothing like this.

Solution​

If multiple NICs configured to different networks are present in a system, NDI prefers to send traffic to a network adapter with the lowest address.

192.168.0.* is preferred over 192.168.1.*.

172.16.0.* is preferred over 192.168.0.*.

10.0.0.* is preferred over 172.16.0.*.

Credits​

The solution came from the YouTube user CyberDanceSL, who commented the tutorial from Streamingtech.

r/VIDEOENGINEERING

Comments to the post on Reddit show how the public searchable NDI documentation needs massive improvments.

tcomerma

Hi,

We tried another aproach to solve the same issue. We use ForceBindIP to start vMix bound only to the IP of the NIC we want it to use. This forces vmix to send/receive just for this NIC without affecting the rest of the system. Has some pros/cons...

Kind regards

Toni

Top Bottom