how to create a nodal image tiling pattern ?

omichon

I am looking for a way to create a nodal setup to generate and organize some image tiling pattern from a source image (or sequence).
Here is an illustration of what I am after :

Image 1 is a selection of small images (all the same size) that could be comp in a single file (or could also be a sequence).
pattern1.png

Image 2 is the result I am after :
Each chunk of previous image (or each individual sequence file) are reorganized in a different pattern like a brick wall, but should be flexible enough to change the tiling pattern and the offset from a row to the next (maybe more randomly than in this illustration).
pattern2.png

I tried to start from this thread, but can't get the expected result :eek:ye:
Any suggestion would be very welcome.

XswampyX

You can do it with a gradient and Poms Image node.

It looks complicated, but the adjustment with the gradient is pretty straight forward.

Hope it helps.

omichon

It looks very helpful XSwampyX ! Thanks a lot for that :)
I will try to adapt this to my specific need with some random offsets.
Any chance to get the screenshot in a higher resolution ? My eyes are as old as I am ;)

XswampyX

Here have a look. :)

It works with a UV map (might come in handy later) and the Y wrap around value is the number of pixels to step down when you reach the edge of your source image.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Tiled_Texture_Offset_XSX.zip
    483 KB · Views: 313

Medi8or

incurable dumbass
I posted something similar a while ago, using an image of some characters ascii-11chars-264x40.png and making "ascii art": blackadder-ascii.png

I guess that could be combined with the bricks from that other thread...

Attachments

• asciiart.zip
    27.5 KB · Views: 300

omichon

Awesome ! Thanks a bunch for that, Medi8or. You are another great resource when it comes to nodes. :thumbsup:
I just need to fully understand your setup, but to me this is a great demonstration of all the beauty of nodes.

Medi8or

incurable dumbass
I made a little test..
bricks-5.jpgtestrender.jpg

I grouped and commented the nodes, so you can see what they do. Some nodes could be swapped with gradients, or other nodes, and this can probably be simplified too..

Attachments

• bricks-from-image.zip
    45.2 KB · Views: 332

omichon

Perfect ! This is really what I am after. This setup could be incredibly useful in many situations.
Again, thanks a lot for sharing this with us :thumbsup:

Top Bottom