How to build looping DVDs in Workshop

Paul Lara

It's ALL about the light
Here’s how to loop projects in DVD Workshop:

1. Create a standard blank menu. Change the blue default color to black.
2. Drag a button onto the menu.
3. Drag your video clip onto the button.
4. Set Menu time-out to 5 seconds (or whatever) 1 second works.
5. Go to “display” settings in the button menu. Adjust transparency to 99%.
It won’t go to 100% but is still invisible.
6. Select “Invisible” in button attributes
7. Create disk. You now have a disc that seamlessly loops forever, without a flicker.

wvp

Toaster Oven
Hmmm,
I am going to need to do this very soon. I thought it would be simple. As I recall in DVDiT! (old version) you could just drop a clip onto "First Play" and then you can select what should happen at the end (repeat, goto menu, etc). You could also set what happens if you press the menu button.
I'm surprised Workshop does not offer this capability. (yes, you could hit repeat on the remote - but A) not all machines have this B)see below
We want to be able to create a DVD that plays continuos until you press the menu button. At that point you can select whatever chapter you want. The purpose is so it can be used in a "kiosk" type mode or interactive.

FYI -
I found this on Ulead message board:
"I'm looking to make a dvd that will automatically repeat once the film has finished.

Anyone know how to do this?"

"In DVD Workshop 2.x, you can use the "Playlist" feature to add a LOOP"

Don't know if this is the answer, but I'll check it out.

Scott Bates

Just Tryin' To Help...
The DVDWS procedure Paul listed works just as advertized and is very easy. I found that tip on Creative Cow's Ulead DVDWS forum a couple years ago and have used it numerous times for things like wedding reception photo montage programs, kiosk presentations, etc.. Very easy to do. Once you've done it the first time you can set it up in a minute or less and be creating your disk image or burning the DVD.

Jim Capillo

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot
Ivan said:
Or you could just hit Repeat on your DVD player's remote...

Ivan

Does the burning with the loop function preclude normal, one time playing? If so, I would have to agree with Ivan as most every DVD player has multi-functional repeat (chapters and titles). I have a company demo playing on a flatscreen in the office window and it took all of 2 seconds to start it up in repeat mode. Repeat is seamless, with about 1 second of black between end/start points.

I also send this DVD out to potential clients, so repeat function in the burn would not be desirable.

Scott Bates

Just Tryin' To Help...
Does the burning with the loop function preclude normal, one time playing?
If you're asking me Jim, yes, it's "programmed" into the DVD and it keeps playing until you hit the stop button.

My way around this is to write two .iso disk images; one looping, the other not. It is an extra step, but takes little additional time.

I agree with Ivan that the Repeat function is a simple solution, but even though "most" current players can do it, I've learned over 25 years of production to never make assumptions what the user at the other end of the pipe can or cannot do (who me, paranoid? No, just burned a time too many).

Jim Capillo

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot
Scott Bates said:
[[snipped] but even though "most" current players can do it, I've learned over 25 years of production to never make assumptions what the user at the other end of the pipe can or cannot do (who me, paranoid? No, just burned a time too many).

:eek: Yeah Scott, I know what you mean. I really don't have much experience using DVD Workshop - tried using it a couple of times and made a couple of coasters..... so now I just pop a disk in the Panasonic standalone burner, press record, press play and go !

I was having some problems with client playback, but since I've been using Verbatim -R discs, the failure rate is much lower.

Voodoo technology....... :p :eek:

Scott Bates

Just Tryin' To Help...
FWIW, DVDWS (currently v1.3 w/ AC-3 audio plugin) is the only authoring program I've used and have been very satisfied. I only use it for authoring and writing .iso disk images. I encode with TMPGEnc using VT-Edit project files (like Eugene, I don't like the encoding results out of DVDWS and it is very slow). I do the actual burning and "duplication" with DVD Decrypter in my Sony drive. For the "quickie, on the cheap" tape-2-DVD jobs I just use my Pioneer tabletop recorder with it's ugly generic menus.

I've used Verbatim -R discs from the beginning and have only had one "failure" (that I know about) in two years and that was with a family that insisted on using the kid's game console as a DVD player.

RayLarson

Toasterholic
Scott,

I agree 100%. The TMpeg encoding is superb and head and shoulders above DVD-WS. We always encode in Tmpeg and then author in DVD-WS. It seems to make an unbeatable quality DVD. I tried VT4 and have since gone back to VT3 mainly becauise I like the ability to use the VT3 project directly with TMpeg. We do use a standalone for certain applications but we are doing more authoring since DVD-WS creates such a good disk. We create an .iso file but we burn in DVD-WS since I have had some minor playback problems with burning with another application.

Scott Bates

Just Tryin' To Help...
Ray, are you saying that VT[4] edit projects are broken as TMPGEnc source material? That would be a shame. I haven't had a need to try it since installing VT[4].

RayLarson

Toasterholic
I couldn't get it to work. I had a multitude of problems with VT4 software on my system. I reinstalled VT3 and everything is purring along. From what I understood the VT4 projects could be imported directly into DVD-WS SE but not TMpeg. I just finished a project and let DVD-WS encode a 2:06:00 video and it looked awful. Did the same project thru TMpeg and the result are awesome. Looks like, until I get a new system computer I will stay with VT3.

mgrusin

Cartoon-based life form
I've don't have VT4 yet, but it's really easy to loop things in DVD-Lab (Mediachance). The top layout loops a movie forever, the bottom adds a menu to either play once or loop (using a playlist). Clients doing trade shows love this one. -MG.

B. Schuster

Paul Lara said:
Here’s how to loop projects in DVD Workshop:

4. Set Menu time-out to 5 seconds (or whatever) 1 second works.

One thing to note is to set the time-out you need to double click into the place that says "Infinity" to type in 1, or 2, for one, or two second delay.

Attachments

• Workshop.gif
    Workshop.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 393

gernot_jan

Hi there,
I've a rather boring question, how long is the 'break' between stop and
play for a looped DVD? Is it possible to programm a DVD that way, that
during the time between stop and start of the movie sequence, a still image
is displayed?

Ivan

TC User Group
You should be able to make a menu that has the still image and set the timeout on that menu. I don't use DVDWS so I'm not sure how it would be done in that program but the post previous to your's seems to hint at that.

Ivan

Top Bottom