How old are you? (Looking for youngest and oldest LW user)

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
LW logo tattoo on the wrinkly arm of a 90 year old in a nursing home... that's what I'm waiting for!

The current crop of 80+ year olds still have building ships in a bottle, or making tiny sterling engines as their hobbies/pass times. Eventually this age group will include Star Wars/Star Trek fans and 3D artists... :)
The one thing I miss from the 3D industry is the fact that the models used in our scenes are virtual. Everything exists on aging floppy discs, hard drives, and other media that can be wiped out with one good electro-magnetic pulse.

Other industry artists like Rick Baker, Stan Winston, Ray Harryhausen, Phil Tippett, etc. have a treasure trove of physical screen-used models from their work.

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
Aren´t Lightwave free for kindergarten kids? catch them young before they get too old and start to learn other software, brainwash them to use it before something else, it´s a good marketing strategy :D
That was always an issue with Lightwave over the decades. Schools and universities were controlled by Autodesk software. If they found that a university was using LW, they would pull all of their software products from the school. But thats how Autodesk got a generation of students hooked. They had the money to pull it off. I guess Newtek didn't. Or didn't care.

prometheus

REBORN
That was always an issue with Lightwave over the decades. Schools and universities were controlled by Autodesk software. If they found that a university was using LW, they would pull all of their software products from the school. But thats how Autodesk got a generation of students hooked. They had the money to pull it off. I guess Newtek didn't. Or didn't care.

I think they had the "right products" to pull it off, and a package of several products very important for schools, autocad etc, and a better reputation as being industry standard.
If newtek had the same, that strategy wouldn´t have worked..but as we know that wasn´t the case.

prometheus

REBORN
The one thing I miss from the 3D industry is the fact that the models used in our scenes are virtual. Everything exists on aging floppy discs, hard drives, and other media that can be wiped out with one good electro-magnetic pulse.

It´s not that bad..
Remember H.R Gigers Spacejockey model?
It was destroyed in somekind of fire I think, at least we can have a version of it in 3D, and also saving space :)

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
A friend worked for Stan Winston Studios. They were doing some secret project in Vegas and Clark was assigned to "kit-bashing" the original Terminator robot. He asked several times, "are you sure"? They were. Don't know if that project ever got finished.

ARConnex

Since 50s are the minority....
Started with Lightwave v4 (hacked) Sorry NT but hey I bought 5 and been Lighwavein ever since! Back then I was shooting commercial photography, when sheets of plastic and liquids were high tech and Lightwave was a natural progression, same camera and lights but easier to move around. Quit photography and started REM Studios and focused on 3D animation and VFX for 21 years. Originally on this board as: Evermax.

Now at 56, I use LW and Unity to create interactive animations in augmented reality for my startup ARConnex.com , a platform I developed so I, nor anyone else ever has to deal with code to produce AR. Inspired by the company that allows us to place a video into these thread with just a link, except for AR.

Rayek

3D print your models? 3D printing services are pretty affordable now. Send your file, pick it up a few days later.

pretty affordable

nah...

Rayek

Actually, that's not that expensive in my opinion. Run-of-the-mill collectable statuettes cost the same or more nowadays :)

Local 3d printing services cost less than that in my experience.

expensive imo when compared to DiY.

and unfortunately no cheap ones around this area. (scandinavia)
...good to have options tho'

Qexit

Well, I turned 62 back in February. I have used LW since V3.1 on the Amiga but it has mainly been in a hobby capacity. I did do a few bits of contract work that covered the cost of upgrading the software and hardware. My one claim to fame being a brief stint producing images for the style guide for the CG animated reboot of Captain Scarlet in the early years of this century.

Over the years I have been an active user, I like to think I have made an active contribution to the LW community. I wrote reviews for CGFocus, was on Steve Worley's Beta Test Team and post on here from time to time. Due to the way things have gone in the Real World for me over the last decade or so, I have done very little with dear old LW in recent years. Dropping in on here and over on Facebook does still bring a smile to my face, so I'll be continuing to do so for the foreseeable future :)

I turned 55 this year, old enough to start drawing my pension (in the UK at least). I used Lightwave Mac from V6 for a number of years, still have my seat but never use it. I still do occasional freelance, but mostly personal fun stuff now. Using Electric Image (beta V10) and Silo 3.

Cheers

Nige.

prometheus

REBORN
Hi, private pension, of course :)

Looking forward to 65-67..which is the earliest I can start to access the public pension, and 67 for the full works.
it´s not going to be much, may even have to apply for poor mans guarantee pension.
I have had deposits to private pensions, but also many unemployed periods, so that won´t be much..and definitely not at 55.
You Lucky son of a ..
:D

My mission is to keep myself as healthy I can as high up in the age as possible, so I actually may be able to work fully to that age, but I also need to mentally enjoy the work, if not I can just
live very sparsely and go about business till the end of days.

too "young" but i'll be aiming at a pension at 62 if possible.
right now it is all dumb in Norway, since young people can't find work, while old people are forced to work.

i want to work, but at my own phase. certainly not as an exhausted kindergaten cop with minimum wage.

ccop.png

prometheus

REBORN
too "young" but i'll be aiming at a pension at 62 if possible.
right now it is all dumb in Norway, since young people can't find work, while old people are forced to work.
Private pension only and leaving that early?

That´s a premature withdrawal I reckon, but I noticed you can do that..if certain requirements are fulfilled.

Over here in Sweden in 2023, the earliest time you can withdraw is raised from 62 to 63, and in 2026 that is raised once again to 64, which means I can´t go at 62.
I wouldn´t be surprised if that change will be equal in Norway, it might.
And there are even more years coming up that may change it to even older age before I reach the proper age.

Top Bottom