How do you get the SURFACE NODE into the Node editor for an instance.

OcatilloPicture

I am trying to do something very similar to what is shown in the LW 10 instructions, randomize the color of instances using a gradient. I've gotten to the Spot/ Instance info to Gradient Input. NOW, I want to get the SURFACE node for the item that I am Instancing.

BIG MISSING BIT OF INFO IN THE INSTRUCTIONS --- How do I get the SURFACE Node into the Instance Node editor so that I can link the Gradient output to the SURFACE input.

I am sure that it's just a mouse click. But, damned if I can find what that is.

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

OcatilloPicture

I saw another post about randomizing the colors of instances using a gradient. The problem I am finding with all the replys to this technique is they show a result where there is a "SURFACE" node in the Node Editor of the "INSTANCER" tab.

I CANNOT GET THE SURFACE NODE TO SHOW UP IN THE NODE EDITOR FOR MY INSTANCE.

I can get to the point of creating a gradation ready for inputing to the color input of a SURFACE node for the instanced object, but I cannot figure out how to get the SURFACE node to appear in the NODE EDITOR found under the "INSTANCER" tab on the object that I am using as a particle emitter.

Appearently, I should be able to go to the surface editor for the base object being instanced and click on something that will send a SURFACE node to the instance editor. I've tried what was suggested in that forum thread to no avail.

Can someone please direct me to a STEP BY STEP tutorial or directions of how to get the SURFACE node to appear in the "INSTANCER" tab?

Newtek, here is a subject for one of your videos!

Thanks.

OcatilloPicture

Oh! That node editor!

Thanks Sensei,

Your tutorial reenforced what I know to be right, but I didn't have the confidence to blow away my old settings and start from scratch. I got things to work once I cleared out all my broken nodes from the Instance Node Editor and did what you showed from the Surface Editor's Node Editor.

It would have been nice if Newtek's instructions made it clear that you accessed the Surface Node Editor via the Surface Editor tool and not the Instance Node Editor. I guess that they can only idiot proof their directions so much. Over-thinking me.

Best

Terry

Top Bottom