House Elevation Blueprints

gpdesigner

your average lightwaver
Hello all,
I have been wanting to model a house exterior for sometime now. what I am looking for is some eps files or blueprints of
the exterior house from x and z angles. Just a basic elevation eps so I can build a house without coming up with a design myself . .
Anybody know od=f any source materials ?
Thanks
gp

nickdigital

I did a search for the actual term "house elevation blueprints" and got a bunch of image hits. But I'm not an arch-viz guy so I can't tell how applicable they are to what you need.

gpdesigner

your average lightwaver
Are we pushing this issue . . . ?
Ok then,
I am not looking for images, I need Blue Prints, Well I can't say "Need" . . . . need is subjective, I should say I would like to get hold of blueprints and or eps files would be better. The "Images" they have on Google that are "Free" FREE being the optimal word, don't have proper measurements needed for a proper model build, and even if you did find said image, I don't think they measurements are complete throughout the entire house structure.
In conclusion I don't think a random and basic "Google" search would be ineffective for my needs. Although Google has a lot of information on it. Sometime you can't get everything from it. Maybe someone who frequents the "Arch-Vis" section of this forum may have links or inside defined web links that would get a cool result.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate the interest.
gp

Waves of light

Stuck in a very big cube
Failing that, maybe try to chat up someone in a planning department for some old project blueprints and work from those.

Last edited:

nickdigital

Not pushing an "issue" just trying to be helpful.

Try posting on the General forum. There will be more eyeballs there. Maybe someone with that information can share it.

gpdesigner

your average lightwaver
Nice link UnCommnGrafx, yep . . seen that already . . I was surfing this stuff a week ago . . . it's good, but not exactly what I am looking for.
below is an image of a project I worked on almost 5 years ago, something more along this line . . .
I think Wave of light is onto something there . . I think this may be the optimal way to go . . .
Thanks for the assistance, you all have been more than helpful
gp

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 217

UnCommonGrafx

Wandering about
I went to a half price book store where I found "650 blueprints of houses" book.
I believe Google makes a great start to this process.

LWCAD makes things look like that. :)

Waves of light

Stuck in a very big cube
I went to a half price book store where I found "650 blueprints of houses" book.

Now that's a cracking idea, why didn't I think of that. We have loads of '£1 book shops' near us or reduce bookstores because they are previous years publications. I picked up Design Museum - Design in Britain for £6 (should have been £80).

What about ebay for old designs.. but they could be upto A1 size and would require scanning in.

aldoktor

Hey GP,

A great place to find house plans are on a home builder website, you can easily find one from where you live, they often have a downloadable PDF of the elevations and floorplans. Go into a showhome in your area, i bet they would love to email you the plans or have a set there for you.

doc

gpdesigner

your average lightwaver
I believe Google makes a great start to this process.

LWCAD makes things look like that. :)

I thought about that a few days ago, there is this publication we have here called "Maison" something or other it has some really good mack ups in it. the only thing is I wanted to stay away from print content as it is a pain to make digital.

Now that's a cracking idea, why didn't I think of that. We have loads of '£1 book shops' near us or reduce bookstores because they are previous years publications. I picked up Design Museum - Design in Britain for £6 (should have been £80).

What about ebay for old designs.. but they could be upto A1 size and would require scanning in.

I could give the ebay idea a shot, let me look into that thanks Wave . . .

I did a Google search (sorry not pushing it) using dxf house elvations and eventually got to here. This seems like what might work for you.
http://www.bibliocad.com/search?s_q...se&s_qver=sall&s_qmode=sand&s_qext=dxf&lng=en

Thanks for that link SteveH, I am going to look into this as well . . this looks promising . . . :)
Hey GP,

A great place to find house plans are on a home builder website, you can easily find one from where you live, they often have a downloadable PDF of the elevations and floorplans. Go into a showhome in your area, i bet they would love to email you the plans or have a set there for you.

doc

I went this route already, I may have to redefine my search perimeters to specifically look for PDF's from home builders, but so far i found that you needed to join or pay inorder to get info from them.
gp

Riff_Masteroff

inside the beltway
LightWave is just wonderful to use with "blueprints" by others. I have done it frequently. Absolutely necessary is an accurate translation into modeler.
In ten years of experience, I have found that just about anything, any file format, can be brought into Modeler. Frequently clean-up is necessary.
But not always. Spot on file translations. Polys not SubD. No displayed measurements necessary. Any measurement can be found within Modeler.
Once within LW, all sorts of things can be looked at. For me, constructability problems.

The problem you have is that those who create the designs (architects) do NOT let go of them easily. Why do a bunch of work only to give it away?

Attached is an old pixelated render of a ceiling with steel support trusses. It was developed ACCURATELY from blueprints (dwg's).
Within 1/1000 of an inch. All of it.
From various dwgs from various sources (subcontractors, architects, structural steel engineers). My part was to discover.
My use of LW here I kept to myself. Cause LW gets no respect.
One, just one discovery, was that, per the original design, some of the red trusses poked through the metal panel (blue) ceiling by about 1'.
In response, the architects adjusted the curve of the ceiling so as to conceal the trusses from view.

Btw, for your info, the three folds or openings in the ceiling (white triangles) are for hidden manned spotlights to spot the stage below.

07-18-06_A.png03-03-07_F.png

gpdesigner

your average lightwaver
Thanks for the info Riff, the ceiling looks amazing, out of curiosity ? what venue was this used in?
I was a "Lighting Designer/ Production tech" in another life . . I work on a lot of stages, rigged a lot of truss,
did a ton of shows . . . :)
gp

tcoursey

We frequently get AutoCAD, Sketchup or other files. But we also work from PDF and sketches. Don't limit yourself to just CAD files you can bring in and reference in a 3D environment. PDF's and IMAGES from those found on Google can get you there as well. Especially since it's a personal project (so it sounds) Find what you can and have fun!

Top Bottom